40 replies to this topic

#1 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

There's been a 'Coming Soon' sign up in the window for a really long time. I just noticed a 'Grand Opening' sign.
This is apparently their second restaurant, the other location on Greenback Lane.
Has anyone gone? What did you think?

#2 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(EDH Jen @ Jul 17 2008, 02:19 PM) View Post
There's been a 'Coming Soon' sign up in the window for a really long time. I just noticed a 'Grand Opening' sign.
This is apparently their second restaurant, the other location on Greenback Lane.
Has anyone gone? What did you think?

I took the mrs to the Greenback location a couple of years ago. She was NOT impressed with the food and the high price. I will have to keep an open mind and give this one more chance and see what happens.

#3 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

My friend and I went a few weeks back.
The food was pretty good but he prices are really high.

#4 Europa

Europa

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(palango @ Jul 17 2008, 03:06 PM) View Post
I took the mrs to the Greenback location a couple of years ago. She was NOT impressed with the food and the high price. I will have to keep an open mind and give this one more chance and see what happens.

QUOTE(gm2005 @ Oct 23 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
My friend and I went a few weeks back.
The food was pretty good but he prices are really high.

When will restaurant owners learn?

#5 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(Europa @ Oct 23 2008, 09:34 PM) View Post
When will restaurant owners learn?

You can speculate about this 2 ways:

1) The owners get more than enough busines to make a nice profit after all the overhead so they do NOT need to change anything.
2) Their losses are just perfect writeoffs, so they don't need to change anything.

In the meantime, wiht the bad economy, the consumers are lecting to stay home more often and going to McD's dollar menu more than ever.

#6 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

I wanted to give this place a try. So last Friday, I called in a "to go" order. Needless to say, that this restaurant is severely overpriced. I spent $30 and the portion size was more like Kids size and NOT Sultan "King" size as the menu claimed. I looked at the rest of the menu and pretty much every thing was ridicoulously over priced. Beautiful design and decor of the place. Rent must cost a fortune, so they have to jack up their prices.
I have been to many Afghan restaurants in LA and bay area and I honestly have to say that this one BY FAR is one of the most expensive. Also, they use cheap ingredients. The rice was no better than the cheap spanish rice.
Bottom line: If you are into Ambiance, Decor, wine list and the rich El Dorado Hills prices, this is best fit for you, BUT if you want to get your $$ wort, this is a ripoff!!!

#7 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

Yep, i'm glad they put their menu online so I could see the pricing before I walked in and had to walk back out.

Ten bucks for a kids meal, $13-15 for a lunch special, and it'd run two adults and a child about $60-80 for dinner without any booze.

For what is basically the same ingredients and preparation cost of indian or middle eastern food.

Coupled with an out-of-the-way location, I dont think this one will still be around next year unless its someones tax writeoff.

#8 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (palango @ Jan 12 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanted to give this place a try. So last Friday, I called in a "to go" order. Needless to say, that this restaurant is severely overpriced. I spent $30 and the portion size was more like Kids size and NOT Sultan "King" size as the menu claimed. I looked at the rest of the menu and pretty much every thing was ridicoulously over priced. Beautiful design and decor of the place. Rent must cost a fortune, so they have to jack up their prices.
I have been to many Afghan restaurants in LA and bay area and I honestly have to say that this one BY FAR is one of the most expensive. Also, they use cheap ingredients. The rice was no better than the cheap spanish rice.
Bottom line: If you are into Ambiance, Decor, wine list and the rich El Dorado Hills prices, this is best fit for you, BUT if you want to get your $$ wort, this is a ripoff!!!

Bummer, my wife and I "discovered" Afghani cuisine when that little place existed in Folsom. We found we liked the food, it wasn't what I expected, although I'm not sure what I expected. I forget what it was called, but I think one of my favorites was essentially a fried rice type of dish with raisins and carrots in it. I also liked the meat filled dumplings and the meatballs I've tried.
I would rather be Backpacking

#9 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 12 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bummer, my wife and I "discovered" Afghani cuisine when that little place existed in Folsom. We found we liked the food, it wasn't what I expected, although I'm not sure what I expected. I forget what it was called, but I think one of my favorites was essentially a fried rice type of dish with raisins and carrots in it. I also liked the meat filled dumplings and the meatballs I've tried.

That rice is called Qabelli or Kabelli Pallow. Unfortunately, the best version (more affordable than the $19 El Dorado Bamiyan version) of that would be in Fremont (bay Area) restaurants.

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (palango @ Jan 12 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bottom line: If you are into Ambiance, Decor, wine list and the rich El Dorado Hills prices, this is best fit for you, BUT if you want to get your $ wort, this is a ripoff!!!

The folks that run Curry Club here in town told me that rent in EDH was over 10k a month, so they opened their restaurant here in Folsom instead at a place with a much more reasonable rental rate.

Rent in EDH does indeed cost a fortune, you can plan on that cost being passed onto customers via high priced menus with smaller, lower quality portions.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 12 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We were also very very sad when Taste of Kabul closed. I can't get over how good their chicken querma was. loved it!!! so was their eggplant appetizer.

the closest we have found is the restaurant across from Winco on Greenback Lane in Citrus Heights or whatever that area is. I think its called Kolbeh or something. Excellent restaurant. Great food at reasaonble prices. We tried the one in EDH and also thought it was too expensive for what it was and not as good as either of the two I just mentioned. We won't go back. Not when we can go to the one on Greenback.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#12 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jan 12 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We were also very very sad when Taste of Kabul closed. I can't get over how good their chicken querma was. loved it!!! so was their eggplant appetizer.

the closest we have found is the restaurant across from Winco on Greenback Lane in Citrus Heights or whatever that area is. I think its called Kolbeh or something. Excellent restaurant. Great food at reasaonble prices. We tried the one in EDH and also thought it was too expensive for what it was and not as good as either of the two I just mentioned. We won't go back. Not when we can go to the one on Greenback.

Yes, I miss Taste of Kabul, and unless I have some other reason to be that far down Greenback, I'll probably not eat at the one in Citrus Heights. When we, the family, decide to go out for dinner, we really don't want to have two 20-30 minute drives added to the experience, so we rarely dine out, outside of Folsom. About once a year, our craving for Korean will cause us to drive down to Bradshaw Rd., but most of the time, we eat in town. sometimes we make it over to EDH, but it has been quite awhile since the last time.
I would rather be Backpacking

#13 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

Kolbeh Kabob is Persian/Irania food a la Famous Kabob on Howe Ave. Persian food is more mild and bland (it is still good) than Afghan. ON a curry scale, Indian/Thai food is off the charts with curry. Afghan is more mild/medium in the curry scale. Iranian/Persina has almost no curry and very very limited spices. In fact, I wish that I not forget to take a bottle of hot sauce with me when I visit Persian Restaurant because it is so bland.

#14 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hmm, with all the empty commercial space in folsom and EDH (and more being built) you'd think that the retail/commercial space costs would be coming down.

Of course, some commercial landlords are dumbo's. My wifes favorite hairdresser and her gym are going to move across the street into brand new storefronts with more traffic going by and much lower rents.

Seen a few places move a year or more ago and their old places are still empty. Thats a lot of negative cash flow.

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (bunny @ Jan 12 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, with all the empty commercial space in folsom and EDH (and more being built) you'd think that the retail/commercial space costs would be coming down.

Of course, some commercial landlords are dumbo's. My wifes favorite hairdresser and her gym are going to move across the street into brand new storefronts with more traffic going by and much lower rents.

Seen a few places move a year or more ago and their old places are still empty. Thats a lot of negative cash flow.

It's all about the greed - its unbelievable how much empty retails spaces there are in town because of the over priced high rents these developers/owners are demanding

until they face reality and lower the rents to something more reasonable.. those buildings will remain empty for years to come

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users