4 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

A Folsom acquaintance of mine was in a car accident in December and sustained substantial injuries. He is currently in rehab at the Sutter Rehabilitation Institute on Medical Plaza and should be released for outpatient care around February 14. Thankfully, he is showing signs of improvement every day! He and his family are looking for wheelchair-accessible housing in that area so he will be close to the facility for continued therapy.

If you know of any housing that fits the bill, kindly post it here or PM me and I'll pass it on.

Thank you!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

Update. They are looking for a home in Folsom, Roseville (95747), Roseville (95661), or Granite Bay -- with Folsom being the first choice.

They need a 3-bedroom house, newer style, no previous pets (due to allergy issues), and a decent back yard for a young child. Wheelchair access is critical. The wheelchair measures 25.5"; a 27" bathroom doorway will be tight by the time you add hands to the mix, and the bathroom should be large enough for a wheelchair to turn around.

They need to be out of their current house by Feb.14, so this request is urgent!

If you know of any rental homes that might fit the bill, please contact me.

Thanks!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

Toilet Access on a new home could be a show stopper. Most second bathrooms have no room to turn around or transfer from chair to pot and from what I have seen Master Baths are even worse.
As far as toilet door access- best way to maximize is to take the door off.
Hope they find something suitable.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Toilet Access on a new home could be a show stopper. Most second bathrooms have no room to turn around or transfer from chair to pot and from what I have seen Master Baths are even worse.
As far as toilet door access- best way to maximize is to take the door off.
Hope they find something suitable.

Yep, it's difficult to find a house that is already wheelchair accessible. As you've said, removing the door can help, but if it's a small bathroom maneuverability is still going to be an issue.

I've suggested to the couple that they consider an apartment as many complexes have one or a few "mobility" units that are already accessible.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Yep, it's difficult to find a house that is already wheelchair accessible. As you've said, removing the door can help, but if it's a small bathroom maneuverability is still going to be an issue.

I've suggested to the couple that they consider an apartment as many complexes have one or a few "mobility" units that are already accessible.

I was going to suggest that as well. Especially since it is an urgent move. They could rent month to month or short term lease while looking for a suitable home rental which are harder to come by with the limitations.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users