49 replies to this topic

#31 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

One thing to keep in mind is containment doesn't really have anything to do with water or fire activity. The fire could be completely out due to 12" of rain and the containment still only be 10%. Containment is the physical fire line they build around the perimeter of the fire. The percent containment is just the amount of line they have constructed.

It could be 100% contained and still lots of fire activity on the interior or it could be 0% contained an completely out and cold.  % contained is not a great measure of actual fire activity but is the metric the public equates to a fire being put out.

#32 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

One thing to keep in mind is containment doesn't really have anything to do with water or fire activity. The fire could be completely out due to 12" of rain and the containment still only be 10%. Containment is the physical fire line they build around the perimeter of the fire. The percent containment is just the amount of line they have constructed.

It could be 100% contained and still lots of fire activity on the interior or it could be 0% contained an completely out and cold.  % contained is not a great measure of actual fire activity but is the metric the public equates to a fire being put out.

Thanks for that explanation. I never knew that.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#33 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Yep. It just means they have a perimeter more or less or control area. That's also why they back burn as well to create a larger perimeter from the containment line.

#34 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Wish we had those santa fe winds up here. Blow that stuff right back into the mountains. phew, its bad stuff. Hospital is packed with sickos today

#35 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

If you need to be outdoors in the smoke for any length of time, buy Niosh-approved N95 respirator masks. Basic medical masks are not good enough to filter fine particulate that is in smoke. My airway took a hit the last time we had intense smoke in Folsom. I've carried these masks in my car ever since just in case.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#36 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

I remember driving through Yellowstone in 1990. That was only 2 years after they had that MASSIVE fire. There was a heck of a lot of new growth amongst the char. The forest will come back. It might take a couple decades to be even close to what it was, but it will recover. Very sad and senseless though.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#37 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

If you need to be outdoors in the smoke for any length of time, buy Niosh-approved N95 respirator masks. Basic medical masks are not good enough to filter fine particulate that is in smoke. My airway took a hit the last time we had intense smoke in Folsom. I've carried these masks in my car ever since just in case.

Where do you get these? I have season asthma and the air quality has really thrown me for a loop! :(

#38 JMB83

JMB83

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

According to these photos (from Sunday), Stumpy Meadows CG isn't completely torched!

https://www.facebook...&type=1&fref=nf

Hopefully a good percentage of the overall burn area is similar... where the fire blew through quickly and didn't incinerate absolutely everything in its path.

Someone mentioned the 2001 Star Fire... I went through/worked on Duncan Canyon earlier this year and it is recovering quite nicely... yes the trees are charred, but that's part of a normal forest.  It's not good that fires get so huge now (due to several factors), but ultimately, fire is part of a healthy forest. 

Duncan Canyon 2014:
10479529_1440054379597067_46658669119142

And I wouldn't wish "Santa Ana" winds on anyone.... they are responsible for many of the tragic, gigantic fires in San Diego and Orange Counties.  

#39 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Where do you get these? I have season asthma and the air quality has really thrown me for a loop! :(

Lately I've been ordering them from Amazon because they're not always stocked in stores -- especially during fires. This is just one kind I recently purchased. http://www.amazon.co...=N95 niosh mask

Try Home Depot first: http://www.homedepot.com/s/n95?NCNI-5

I also took one on a recent vacation via plane -- just in case there was smoke. I'm not paranoid; just prepared.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#40 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

The forest will grow back but the hidden relics from previous generations will not.

#41 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

Lately I've been ordering them from Amazon because they're not always stocked in stores -- especially during fires. This is just one kind I recently purchased. http://www.amazon.co...=N95 niosh mask

Try Home Depot first: http://www.homedepot.com/s/n95?NCNI-5

I also took one on a recent vacation via plane -- just in case there was smoke. I'm not paranoid; just prepared.

Thanks I just ordered a pack!

#42 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks I just ordered a pack!

I'm glad that helped. :D

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#43 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Looks like they're back burning northwest of Slab Creek Reservoir now to protect Swansboro. Which in itself is super risky because of the high winds blowing to the west. Hopefully no sparks/embers from the back burn gets carried over the line. Lots of houses over there.

Lots and lots of history is going to get destroyed when that fire burns down cable point and the old log chute.

Also looks like the hotel ruins in Deerview are going to burn. Sooo sad.

#44 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

The air quality in Folsom right now is 204. Please stay inside!

#45 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

I saw some people out jogging in the smokey haze this morning, they must be nuts.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users