7 replies to this topic

#1 slickuser

slickuser

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

Any one know where I can get my car fuses replace?

It's for my power outlet, 12V.

I stop by JiffyLube & wal-mart. They don't electrical work.

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(slickuser @ Nov 9 2008, 05:25 PM) View Post

Have you tried Kragen? They might be able to help you do it yourself. They helped me with something like that once. It's on Riley across from the Aquatic Center.

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(slickuser @ Nov 9 2008, 05:25 PM) View Post

For the most part, fuse replacement should be a DIY type thing.
But if you are uncomfortable with trying that yourself, a dealership can definitely handle it.
A customer friendly dealership may even do it with out charging you labor. I bought an air filter for my Honda CR-V, not the filter for the engine, but the one for the heater & A/C system. A service guy happened to be in the hallway when I was purchasing it and asked if I knew how to replace them, I said I didn't know exactly, but figured I could figure it out with my maintenace manual. He offered to do it free of charge and it took him about 5 minutes.
A fuse replacement should really take a knowledgeable person only 30 seconds.
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

Fuse replacements are DIY items...
All owner's manuals would tell you where they are - simply pull the old one out and put in the new one. Do you still have your owner's manual? I am amazed at how many don't.
Such a skill might be useful someday if something more critical blows a fuse while not near your favorite auto repair facility. It takes less time than driving to somewhere to get it done.

Good luck.

#5 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(stangage70 @ Nov 10 2008, 11:51 AM) View Post
Fuse replacements are DIY items...
All owner's manuals would tell you where they are - simply pull the old one out and put in the new one. Do you still have your owner's manual? I am amazed at how many don't.
Such a skill might be useful someday if something more critical blows a fuse while not near your favorite auto repair facility. It takes less time than driving to somewhere to get it done.

Good luck.

Some fuse boxes may even have a spare fuse in them.

#6 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

Your owners manual should show you where the box is, and perhaps which fuses do what. If not, remove the lid from the fuse box and the back side of that might have a map on it. If that doesnt work, take a piece of paper and make a diagram of which sockets are occupied, which arent, and what the number/color of each fuse is.

If you pull the fuses one at a time and look at them from the side, you'll see that they're clear and have a little metal wire zig zagging through them. The one thats blown will have a visible break in the wire. They pull straight out, and you can use a pair of small pliers or needlenose pliers to tug out any that are stubborn.

Make sure you remember where each one came from and if its good, push it back in.

Once you have the bad one, they're color coded and have a number on them for their rating. Go buy a package of the same color and number and you'll have a replacement and a couple of spares.

I made that all sound ten times as hard as it is.

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

anyone here remember about when the automotive industry switched from the old cylindrical glass fuses to the newer color-coded fuses with flat prongs. Was it back in the 1980's?

#8 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:05 AM

The blade fuses came out in the mid 70's and were pretty much fully adopted by the early 80's.

Pretty hard to find the old glass ones anymore for a really old car. They were harder to get out and reinstall, but it was a lot easier to see which ones were blown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users