67 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

I usually take my boys to Cordova shooting center. However, it can get really , really crowed on the weekend. Some times you can't even get a slot at the shot gun range and you're pressed in pretty tight at the rifle range. Just curious where other people go to shoot.

-Robert

#2 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

Check out Sacramento Valley Shooting Center out in Ione. It's about 20 minutes out from Folsom has has nice facilities.

http://www.sacvalley.org/

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Jan 6 2009, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out Sacramento Valley Shooting Center out in Ione. It's about 20 minutes out from Folsom has has nice facilities.

http://www.sacvalley.org/

SVSC is a nice range, I go there sometimes, but more often than any regular range, I drive up into the National Forest. You have to take your own targets. you have to control the firing line your self. But I find it a lot more fun watching empty cans get kicked up into the air than just seeing holes get poked through paper. And plastic bottles filled with water are always spectacular, especially with higher power rounds. Those dorky gifts you got for Xmas from that Aunt you can't stand always make for fun filled targets.
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 6 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SVSC is a nice range, I go there sometimes, but more often than any regular range, I drive up into the National Forest. You have to take your own targets. you have to control the firing line your self. But I find it a lot more fun watching empty cans get kicked up into the air than just seeing holes get poked through paper. And plastic bottles filled with water are always spectacular, especially with higher power rounds. Those dorky gifts you got for Xmas from that Aunt you can't stand always make for fun filled targets.

Bill-

PM me details on where you go if you can. I'm not really looking to do anything louder or more spectacular than just take my kid somewhere to shoot his .22, but if you've got any dorky Christmas gifts you'd like us to take along and beat with baseball bats for you before we leave, we'd be happy to help smile.gif
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#5 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

We always go to Elk Grove's The Gun Room (no rifles though), or the National Forest (either along Ice House or Sly Park/Emigrant Trail). I always bring a big garbage bag and a picker upper thing when we go to the woods though. I might not be able to pick up all my brass, but I can sure pick up all the other trash people leave out there, it's disgusting.

Edit: We went with a PLINK group (please leave it NRA kleen) our first time in the forest. A few hours of cleaning up crap, followed by a few hours of shooting in the woods. It was fun, met some nice people (we felt like we had to 'act more republican' than we really are, but whatever), felt good about cleaning up the forest (in our case, we dismantled a shot out abandoned RV type thing, and hauled it to the dump), and got the low down on the popular shooting spots. http://www.eldorador...n.com/plink.htm for more info.

The Gun Room is good because of air conditioning, and the automated target bringer-backer thingiee. Waiting for the cease fire to be over becomes a drag at the Cordova Shooting Center.

#6 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

That's actually more what I"m looking for. My younger son has almost never fired his .22 rifle because he has sensitive ears and at the ranges you always end up next to the guy firing the 20 mm cannon and ejecting hot shells in your lap.

Where do you go? I'm just looking at bringing the .22 and the shot gun, neither of which require a lot of room, just a good hillside. Looking to blow 1000 rounds or so of cheap Walmart bought Federals through the .22.

-Robert

#7 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

And plastic bottles filled with water are always spectacular, especially with higher power rounds.

BTW: I let the boys shoot the BB gun in the backyard against some water bottles (we have a nice hill in the back yard). I can tell you that a BB gun cannot break through a filled water bottle. smile.gif I even tried running the pointed slugs through the BB gun (can't remember what they are called but they have a little sharp end to them) and they bounce off too. I'm sure the .22 will do a better job but since we can't fire it in town I don't know.

-Robert

#8 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

I used to have a Crossman 880. That thing would blow the heck out of water bottles. Do they still sell those nowadays?

#9 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

@MrsTuffPaws ElDorado Rod and Gun range up the hill is a nice place from their website and will have to go check it out sometime.

I have been to The Gun Room in Elk Grove and it was also nice but as you noted, limited to handguns in general but you can shoot .22LR rifle too (just nothing larger).

#10 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

It was nice when we had our ranch. No one else to compete with for space.

#11 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (MrsTuffPaws @ Jan 6 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We always go to Elk Grove's The Gun Room (no rifles though), or the National Forest (either along Ice House or Sly Park/Emigrant Trail). I always bring a big garbage bag and a picker upper thing when we go to the woods though. I might not be able to pick up all my brass, but I can sure pick up all the other trash people leave out there, it's disgusting.

Edit: We went with a PLINK group (please leave it NRA kleen) our first time in the forest. A few hours of cleaning up crap, followed by a few hours of shooting in the woods. It was fun, met some nice people (we felt like we had to 'act more republican' than we really are, but whatever), felt good about cleaning up the forest (in our case, we dismantled a shot out abandoned RV type thing, and hauled it to the dump), and got the low down on the popular shooting spots. http://www.eldorador...n.com/plink.htm for more info.

The Gun Room is good because of air conditioning, and the automated target bringer-backer thingiee. Waiting for the cease fire to be over becomes a drag at the Cordova Shooting Center.

Make sure you stay out until April 1st... you can thank the greenies for that.

#12 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Robert Gary @ Jan 6 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW: I let the boys shoot the BB gun in the backyard ...

What are the rules for shooting BB guns in town?

I wanted to get my son a Red Ryder Daisy (shoot yer eye out) this Xmas, but was worried about annoying neighbors - or worse - with stray BBs. Unfortunately, I only have 3 wood fences around my backyard to separate us from our neighbors. No hillside for a backstop.

#13 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

I have a friend that lives in Swansboro which is right on the edge of National forest, so usually I go up there. I also sometimes go up near Pollock Pines. Here are 2 links to approximately where I quite often go.

near Swansboro

East of Pollock Pines

You can also shoot on BLM land, they have an office in Folsom across the street from city hall, you can get maps showing where BLM land is and check out those areas as well.

#14 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 7 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a friend that lives in Swansboro which is right on the edge of National forest, so usually I go up there. I also sometimes go up near Pollock Pines. Here are 2 links to approximately where I quite often go.

near Swansboro

East of Pollock Pines

Just so you know, you WILL get a ticket if you go to either of those places between Jan 1 and April 1.

#15 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Jan 7 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just so you know, you WILL get a ticket if you go to either of those places between Jan 1 and April 1.

Why, my understanding is the law says you can't drive off road during those times, who is driving off road? Do you have a link to the new law?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users