31 replies to this topic

#1 terelli

terelli

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

I bought my home on Latherton Way in September and I absolutely love the neighborhood! This house was a foreclosure and sat vacant for 6-7 months I think. The backyard was a mess with knee-high weeds and birds nests. I have been focusing my efforts/money there and inside because I have a child and 2 dogs. I mow my lawn regularly, don't have loud parties, and don't park in the street. I am finishing up my backyard this weekend and had plans to focus on the front, in particular the side yard that faces Kilsyth Court. I have some landscapers coming out to give me estimates on weeding and rebarking the area. You're probably thinking, "So what's the problem?" and "Welcome to Folsom!"

This morning I was leaving for work and found a note blowing around my front porch. Some unidentified neighbor was notifying me that it is my responsibility to weed and clean the side of my house that faces Kilsyth. Thank you, Captian Obvious! I guess they were too scared to knock on my door and introduce themselves and ask about my plans for the side yard.

I knocked on a few doors this morning to find the anonymous letter writer and met some nice people that welcomed me to the neighborhood and told me to blow it off.

This note is to you Mr/Ms. Too Afraid To Talk To Your Neighbor...Unclench, come by and have a glass of wine and I will fill you in on all my landscaping plans. Maybe you have a suggestion for a landscaper that you trust?

#2 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

That anonymous note is bad. Whoever wrote it has some problems. Sorry you've got a rotten neighbor.

#3 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

Some people would just rather avoid confrontation. I don't see the problem with the note unltess is was written in mean spirited way.

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

It's possible whomever left the note had watched for several months to see if anything would be done and then left the note... not knowing what you had been doing in the back of your house and not knowing what your intentions were for the front... Still, having said that, if neighbors made an effort to get to know one another they'd be more comfortable talking about such things. I'm glad the incident sparked you to knock on some doors; it's nice to know your neighbors. smile.gif
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 terelli

terelli

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

No the note wasn't mean spirited, but it definitely was not friendly. I just hate to reinforce the anonymous note thing by having a landscaper show up this weekend.

#6 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

Find out who wrote it and burn their house down. That'll show them for caring about the neighbourhood!

Seriously though, I fully understand the anonymous note thing. People are weird these days, and as sad as it is.. confronting a neighbour can be a difficult if not ugly task.

At least it's better than calling in Code Enforcement or HOA goons.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#7 bookwom

bookwom

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

When we first moved to Folsom, the house we bought had a front yard that had not gotten much love. While we were moving in, our new neighbors came over and said, "Welcome to the neighborhood - what are you planning for this front yard!" It was done in a humorous way, and we still tease them about it, but it gave us an opportunity to let our neighbors now that we were going to take care of it, and the time frame. I think the anonymous note was un-neighborly, but since you know that you are doing what you can when you can, I wouldn't let it bother you too much.
I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

#8 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Anonymous notes are passive-aggressive and seldom fix anything.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (terelli @ Apr 28 2010, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No the note wasn't mean spirited, but it definitely was not friendly. I just hate to reinforce the anonymous note thing by having a landscaper show up this weekend.

First, welcome to Folsom and myfolsom.com. Next, don't let the turkey get you down, it's just a timid neighbor who's too shy, weak or whatever to be able to talk to you in person, maybe after the landscaping is done they'll send you an anonymous thank you note too biggrin.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#10 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

get a big piece of cardboard and a stake, post a note in big letters, dear unsigned open note writer, and then list your plans to fix things up.

the good neighbors will be happy about your plan and wonder who the sneaky person is and the sneaky person will act guilty. invite all over for a glass of wine.

most good neighborhoods have folks coming over to welcome the new owner and for some reason this didn't happen to you.

#11 terelli

terelli

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, laughs and words of encouragement! I'm surprised I didn't get any landscaping recommendations though.

#12 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Welcome to Folsom. What time will you be expecting us for wine and landscape advice? tongue.gif

#13 terelli

terelli

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (DavidH @ Apr 28 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to Folsom. What time will you be expecting us for wine and landscape advice? tongue.gif

LOL...I should host a block party so I can share my plans for landscaping and show everyone the color swatches for the interior!

#14 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

A note?

Heck, sometimes I expect my neighbors to spray paint "MOW YOUR DAMN LAWN" on my garage.

#15 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

Ok I went around and spread anonymous notes in all of my neighborhood, even though they were not even needed!

I told them it's spring, and their grass should be GREENER!

Really, all I'm waiting for is the invites for a nice glass of wine, as Terelli was so gracious to offer to said note writer.

Ok, I didn't write any notes, but still waiting for Wine offers....

I'm sure one is coming any time now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users