31 replies to this topic

#16 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thank you to those who have made donations to my Walk 'N Rock campaign for Sacramento CASA! Your generosity is greatly appreciated and will be put to good use to support and advocate for a child in the foster care system. :cheer: :cheer: :2thumbsup:

I am sitting at $695 toward my goal of $1,508 and have 12 days left to fund raise. Every little bit helps!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#17 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

The Walk 'N Rock event has funds so far to serve 21 children, out of 159 children currently on the wait list. The event will be held a week from Saturday, so I'm in the final stretch of my fundraising.

Also, if you're a Kiss fan, don't forget they'll be performing at Raley Field the night of May 29. Tickets can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com and at the Raley Field box office http://fieldboxoffic...CFUkZQgodml7oUQ .
Proceeds from this concert will be split amongst the various children's charities participating in the Walk 'N Rock event.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#18 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:05 AM

Bump for my weekend challenge to raise a few hundred more dollars. :cheer:

Last week my youth was moved to a new foster home. A fairly large and intimidating meeting was held to discuss her new placement. My youth was not familiar with most of the meeting participants. I had spent hours reviewing the youth's court records, which gave me some perspectives to share in the meeting. When service providers keep changing it is difficult to ensure consistency or transference of knowledge. Since the meeting I have followed up to see if action goals that were set are indeed taking place.

The vast majority of youth in the foster care system do not have CASAs, due to a large part to a lack of sufficient funding. Often, all of the people in their world change -- foster families, schools, social workers, therapists, etc. The CASA may be the only or one of the few consistent person(s) in the child's life.

A lot of small donations add up to a large impact in the life of a child.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#19 ucjanice

ucjanice

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

I recently completed my one year of service as a mentor with Roots & Horizons. Their mentor program matches up community volunteers with an FCUSD student who has at least one parent incarcerated.

CASA sounds like a logical next step for me.

Thanks for the info.

#20 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

I recently completed my one year of service as a mentor with Roots & Horizons. Their mentor program matches up community volunteers with an FCUSD student who has at least one parent incarcerated.

CASA sounds like a logical next step for me.

Thanks for the info.

The mentoring program sounds awesome as well. If you have any questions about being a CASA please don't hesitate to PM me.

Best wishes,

Deb
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#21 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

Bump. Three days to go. :)

Thank you to those who have donated to Sacramento CASA!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#22 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

I'm up to $1,050......closer.....closer.....closer to my goal! :cheer:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#23 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

Thank you, Anonymous! I'm up to $1,100! Sixteen more donations @ $25 or eight @ $50 will bring me within a few dollars of my goal.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#24 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thank you to the other Anonymous! I'm up to $1,125! :2thumbsup:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#25 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

Bump. :2thumbsup: :cheer:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#26 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Thank you to all who made a donation to my Walk 'N Rock fundraising for Sacramento CASA. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I've raised $1,305, just $204 short of my goal.

Although the event itself was held on Sunday, I still have two weeks to continue raising money toward my goal. I'm still hoping to get there!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#27 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Sacramento CASA is gearing up for it's next training session. The first step is to attend an orientation to familiarie you with the program and CASA responsibilities. Orientations will be held on Dec. 3, 2012 and January 9, 2013 at 6 pm at the CASA office in Sacramento.

For further information and to sign up for an orientation, contact Bernardette at (916) 875-6385.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#28 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Sacramento CASA is holding another orientation session to famliarize people with the role of a CASA. If you're looking for a significant way to give back to your community and make a tangible difference in the life of a youth, please consider attending. As always, if you have questions for me don't hesitate to post them or contact me directly.

Don't miss our informational session,Wednesday, March 27,2013 6-7pm. Find out more about CASA. The session will provide general information about the CASA mission as well as a brief introduction of the topics covered during the required 30-35 hours of training. If interested please RSVP at 916-875-6385 or to Bernardette at bernardette@sacramentocasa.org
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#29 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

Volunteer CASAs are desperately needed to meet the needs of children in the foster care system. Too often the ONLY consistent adult person in the life of a child in foster care is the CASA. This has certainly been the case with my youth. In the 2+ years I've been her CASA, she's been in four placements, has attended three schools, and has had numerous changes in social workers and other critical service providers. That's in just TWO of the EIGHT years she's been in the system. Many children in foster care have no contact with bio families or very sporadic, inconsistent contact.

Who knows the history of the youth?

Who knows the issues the youth has faced and is facing?

Who can connect all of the pieces and communicate a coherent story to the next round of service providers?

Who is in a position to advocate for what is in the best interests of the youth?

Only someone who knows the youth.

Often times, only the CASA.

If you are looking for a meaningful way to give back to your community and make a difference in the life of a child who, due to no fault of his or her own is in the system, please consider becoming a CASA.

The next orientation to learn about the role of the CASA will be held on July 17 at 6 pm at the CASA office. To inquire about and/or sign up for the orientation, contact Bernadette at Bernadette@SacramentoCASA.org or by phone at (916) 875-6385.

There are simply not enough CASAs to serve all of the youth in the system.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#30 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

If you are interested in learning more about becoming a volunteer CASA, please join them for an orientation, a one hour session to discuss the ins and outs of becoming an advocate, watch a short video, and address any questions you may have. These info sessions are required in order to move to the next phase of the enrollment process.

By the way, CASAs are not only needed for minors who are dependents of the court, but they are also needed for non-minor dependents of the court -- foster youth who are 18 - 21 years of age and are still receiving services under AB12. http://californiacas...nor-dependants/ .

Date: Wednesday, April 9th, 6:00 - 7:00p.m. Please contact Riley Lakos at riley@sacramentocasa.org to R.S.V.P.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users