• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

Over the past two weeks a number of our soccer goals at various city parks have been vandalized beyond repair and will cost the Folsom Soccer Club thousands of Dollars to replace. 

The initial act of vandalism started two weeks ago as a 4 foot by 4 foot hole in  two of  the nets at Ed Mitchell Park were cut and needed to be replaced. Nets cost as much as $250 each to replace.  The same week, both goals at Ernie Sheldon Park were bent and snapped at the base with the crossbars being bent down.  Sometime after this past Saturday's games, the goals at Handy Park were essentially destroyed in the same manner as the ones at Sheldon Park. We found out about the Handy Park goals from one of our coaches this morning.  These goals can cost upwards of $2500-$3000 each and comes directly  out of our general account.  At this time we have no suspect(s) but have notified the Police and filed a report. We've spoken to Ernie Sheldon. who will be bringing this up at Tuesday's council meeting. We've also posted this information on various neighborhood sites and have sent the information to the Folsom Telegraph as well as the schools in Folsom.  Also, the Folsom Soccer Club will be sending out an email to all of its members,  which represent  almost 3500 kids playing in FSC,  in hopes someone knows something.  In addition the club is offering a reward of $1000 for information leading to arrest and conviction.  If caught, the vandals will be charged to the fullest extent of the law and will also  be asking for restitution to pay to replace the damaged goals.

I've attached a flyer that the club is  passing out with all the information, including phone number  to call,  plus a photo showing  the type of vandalism that's been occurring.  I hope we can find the people responsible so no further damage occurs to our parks.

Attached Files

#2 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

A few weeks back I chased some kids off the goals at Sheldon Park. They were hanging off them causing them to bend a little. As someone who has kids in FSC and I play myself this just sucks.

#3 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:32 AM

Please contact Soccer Pro in Fair Oaks to get a price on replacement. Because of what has happened we will be able to work with you on pricing for new goals/nets. There are a lot of options. Thanks! 916-962-0880

#4 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:39 AM

This is a shame.  We play at other fields where the clubs have to take down all nets and literally chain the goals together to a fence or other structure so that they are not stolen or destroyed.  It sounds like Folsom may be headed in that direction and that is disappointing.

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

I doubt this is kids if they are bending the frames.

sounds more a car or truck. Or maybe im not visualizing this well.

Anyway, this really is disappointing. If you guys do a fundraiser or something let us know.

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

I doubt this is kids if they are bending the frames.

sounds more a car or truck. Or maybe im not visualizing this well.

Anyway, this really is disappointing. If you guys do a fundraiser or something let us know.

It's most likely kids.  Like Chris V, I've had to tell them to knock it off at the field at Theodore Judah.  They like hanging on them and tipping them.  It's not only destructive, but dangerous as well.  Usually, it's not soccer players because they've all been warned about playing on the goals.

#7 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

Yes, likely kids.  If enough of them hang on them, they will bend the crossbars and tip the goal.  I have seen them doing it at McFarland and I had to tell them to knock it off...the woman "watching" them was sitting in her car on her phone  :angry:

#8 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

The goals are not the  large steel tubing  that are welded at the corners with the posts cemented into the ground, (club still has a few of these), rather  these are the new light weight Kwikgoal brand goals that come in sections and are easily assembled with wrench and nuts/bolts. They are lightweight so they can easily moved to a different field when needed and can be conveniently stored at conclusion of season.  All of the goals in our club are staked down for safety reasons so they don't tip over in gusty winds and are secure when teams practice and games are being played. 

The club did send out email today to all members of the Folsom Soccer Club alerting them to this vandalism and is offering a $1000 reward . 

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

The goal at TJ was held down by sand bags with some type of rope-type tie, which the two boys were making into a game to have one hang on it while the other picked up the other end to tip it.  The other boy would jump off just before it fell over.  If that landed on him, especially his neck, it wouldn't have been a good situation.  I tried to explain that to them but all I got was lip.  

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

Yes, likely kids.  If enough of them hang on them, they will bend the crossbars and tip the goal.  I have seen them doing it at McFarland and I had to tell them to knock it off...the woman "watching" them was sitting in her car on her phone  :angry:

I remember them being much sturdier than that when i was young. In fact, I remember running into one as a teen and finding out they are immovable objects---according to my science teacher who laughed me out of the class and sent me to the nurses office for ice....;;; lol- I was all clutz back then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users