College Works Solictors

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

On Saturday, my neighborhood was hit by College Works Painting .
First, if they really are college kids, then they either can't read or are taught to ignore "NO SOLICITING" signs...(grumble grumble) and I know that I didn't have to talk to them. But I did. There were 2 of them, the fast talking buddy joined the first kid and monopolized the conversation. They did say they had a Folsom permit, but didn't have it with them, because they weren't selling anything, they were just taking names of interested people. :huh: So they could call back & schedule quotes for later. :P They tried to tell me that the paint on my house was peeling and since the homes in this neighborhood are 8 years old, they are due for painting. Yea, right. :rolleyes:

I really just had to laugh. Tonight, I went on-line to get some info and found some reviews ....and more reviews ....

Does anyone have any experience with this group?

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

I don't have any experience with them, but they are required to carry a permit (IF they truly have one) to go door-to-door. They are soliciting to do business, plain and simple. I'd have called the police.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 B&G

B&G

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

They hit our neighborhood (Prairie Oaks) too. Our sales guy was respectable, friendly, knowledgeable, and gave us a pretty fair deal on painting our house. He is also doing a couple of other houses on our street so we qualified for the neighborhood discount. He was flexible with the price, but assured us we would be getting a high quality job. We were impressed with the presentation. We have had other estimates on our house and this one was right about par. We would much rather give our business to a college kid trying to make a living then some tweeker off of craigslist.

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Are they licensed & insured?

Just something to think about if the job is costing more than $500 and somebody is going to be on ladders around your home.

After reading up on College Works Painting (a national company), I'm not so sure how good it is for the college students. The money seems to be going to a pyramid-type company more than to the students. I also wouldn't believe the "we're doing other houses in the neighborhood" since that seems to be a marketing ploy.

I'd definitely ask for them to provide local references and ask to see other work they have performed in the neighborhood.

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

I don't have any experience with them, but they are required to carry a permit (IF they truly have one) to go door-to-door. They are soliciting to do business, plain and simple. I'd have called the police.

I followed your advise a few months ago when these young solicitors came by the house and tried to sell me something. They were dressed nicely and had a very good presentation but actually ran from the door when I told them that I would call the police if they did not produce a Folsom Permit...

I actually called the police and they came in a few minutes and saw the solicitors and their boss up the street and pulled over to talk with them... it was not a pretty sight- lots of stress and even some crying as they spoke to the perps...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#6 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

I would never use a door-to-door solicitor to do any work on my house/yard. I still remember the fiasco with the interior painters when I moved in, and that was a myfolsom recommendation. I finally have a contractor I trust, and he will be doing all my work.

I will however, wait for the crew to return, so I can ask them more questions. ;)

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

I followed your advise a few months ago when these young solicitors came by the house and tried to sell me something. They were dressed nicely and had a very good presentation but actually ran from the door when I told them that I would call the police if they did not produce a Folsom Permit...

I actually called the police and they came in a few minutes and saw the solicitors and their boss up the street and pulled over to talk with them... it was not a pretty sight- lots of stress and even some crying as they spoke to the perps...

I'd be cautious about telling them I'm calling the police. To avoid potential retribution down the road I'd just do it; they wouldn't know who made the call.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'd be cautious about telling them I'd call the police. To avoid potential retribution down the road I'd just do it; they wouldn't know who made the call.

Guess I am a day late- It turns out the perp was a neighbor kid selling Girl Scout cookies... and I did not actually do that- but based on recommendations here - I should have :)

My point being that not all solicitors should automatically be considered nefarious creatures of the deep waiting to pull a fast one on us or scoping our homes out for a future illegal venture...

I let them knock - I answer some and I do not answer others- but far be it to me to make a judgement based on a first look to call the cops over anyone that comes to my door -- the poor ladies with the bible would have heart attacks as - yes - they are also selling something and likely without a permit...

The incidents of illegal behavior tied to a door to door solicitor is likely 1 in 1000 or less.

I would not encourage anyone to call the cops for a simple door bell ringer ...

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Guess I am a day late- It turns out the perp was a neighbor kid selling Girl Scout cookies... and I did not actually do that- but based on recommendations here - I should have :)

My point being that not all solicitors should automatically be considered nefarious creatures of the deep waiting to pull a fast one on us or scoping our homes out for a future illegal venture...

I let them knock - I answer some and I do not answer others- but far be it to me to make a judgement based on a first look to call the cops over anyone that comes to my door -- the poor ladies with the bible would have heart attacks as - yes - they are also selling something and likely without a permit...

The incidents of illegal behavior tied to a door to door solicitor is likely 1 in 1000 or less.

I would not encourage anyone to call the cops for a simple door bell ringer ...

Ken, the point is that many who appear to be "simple door bell ringers" are, in fact, scamming or scoping out homes for crime. If a solicitor doesn't have a permit, he/she is already breaking the law. By my calling the police I am not making a judgment or determination; I am merely letting the police do their job. For all I know several others have called in complaints about this person at my door and by calling I am helping law enforcement officers catch up with the person to investigate.

Neighbors around the corner from us had their side garage door kicked in last week and the perp(s) broke into the house and stole items. Often times these people knock at the front door or ring the bell first, acting like solicitors, to determine if someone is home or not. When the coast is clear they break in. My point is that unless I have a crystal ball I can't tell the good guys from the potentially bad ones, but if someone can't produce a permit (which indicates they have a legal right to do business at my door), they are already suspicious and I'm going to let FPD do their job.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#10 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Ken, the point is that many who appear to be "simple door bell ringers" are, in fact, scamming or scoping out homes for crime. If a solicitor doesn't have a permit, he/she is already breaking the law. By my calling the police I am not making a judgment or determination; I am merely letting the police do their job. For all I know several others have called in complaints about this person at my door and by calling I am helping law enforcement officers catch up with the person to investigate.

Neighbors around the corner from us had their side garage door kicked in last week and the perp(s) broke into the house and stole items. Often times these people knock at the front door or ring the bell first, acting like solicitors, to determine if someone is home or not. When the coast is clear they break in. My point is that unless I have a crystal ball I can't tell the good guys from the potentially bad ones, but if someone can't produce a permit (which indicates they have a legal right to do business at my door), they are already suspicious and I'm going to let FPD do their job.

Sure there are those that might come by and knock to see if anyone if home and then pillage and plunder to their hearts desire when they do not get an answer and find a good way in - but they are NOT Solicitors - Tell me one case in recent times when a solicitor for goods or services ever did that... I just do not buy it ...

So I guess the Girl Scout selling cookies, the Realtor canvasing, the Boy Scout looking for food cans to donate, the Morman boys , the Bible ladies and all the others that normally do not carry a permit are also suspect ? I guess I grew up in a different time or a different place as I know we are similar in our older age...

I or my partner often talk with the solicitors and I can say that I have never had one single person come to the door that did not seem above board and was trying their best to do what is was that they were set out to do ...

I just do not get the - call the cops - mentality ...

-Margaret Mead-

#11 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Sure there are those that might come by and knock to see if anyone if home and then pillage and plunder to their hearts desire when they do not get an answer and find a good way in - but they are NOT Solicitors - Tell me one case in recent times when a solicitor for goods or services ever did that... I just do not buy it ...

So I guess the Girl Scout selling cookies, the Realtor canvasing, the Boy Scout looking for food cans to donate, the Morman boys , the Bible ladies and all the others that normally do not carry a permit are also suspect ? I guess I grew up in a different time or a different place as I know we are similar in our older age...

I or my partner often talk with the solicitors and I can say that I have never had one single person come to the door that did not seem above board and was trying their best to do what is was that they were set out to do ...

It's not a mentality devoid of common sense and instinct. I admit I don't call the cops every time someone comes to my door. I'm more than happy to buy Girl Scout Cookies or politely tell the religious people I'm living happily as a pagan and will give them a call if things change (joke).

It's how a solicitor reacts to my polite "No thank you" that will determine what I choose to do. If they are in a uniform and have brochures leave with a "Have a nice day" quickly without arguing with me, I don't call. If they won't take no for an answer or try make a snide comment or are obviously angry when they leave, I really don't appreciate that and will call to see if they have a permit.

A long time ago, I actually had one guy try and grab the screen door and walk in past me so he could spray cleaner on my floor while I was telling him I wasn't interested. That definitely warranted a call after I pulled the door closed on him. Permit or no permit, that guy shouldn't have been going door to door.

I do always answer the door now or at least look to see who it is. It could be someone needing help or somebody being nice trying to tell me they see smoke coming from my house. It could also be someone just trying to see if someone is home like just happened to that poor kid (in Davis?) who heard someone breaking in after not answering the door because he was home alone. Luckily for him, he was able to call 911 and the police caught the burglar.

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

First, I'm not talking about girl scouts and bible thumpers. And Realtors have business licenses.

Second, I'm reiterating what Folsom PD asks the public to do - based on crime, based on calls about suspicious activity, etc.; I'm not making this stuff up.

Yes, you have to use your judgment. But very often people post here about "shady" characters who come to their door but don't call FPD about them.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#13 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

First, I'm not talking about girl scouts and bible thumpers. And Realtors have business licenses.

Second, I'm reiterating what Folsom PD asks the public to do - based on crime, based on calls about suspicious activity, etc.; I'm not making this stuff up.

Yes, you have to use your judgment. But very often people post here about "shady" characters who come to their door but don't call FPD about them.

Part of the "problem' in this lily white town is when a solicitor is of color... from what I have read in past posts in this very forum and in other sites is "shady' often equates to "person of color' and I think that stinks ---
I have had some of the best conversations with many of these people selling cleaner and such - it is funny and entertaining and not in the least a 'shady' person... even if they are not telling the truth about where they are from and such...

Much ado about nothing again - and no proof to suggest anything nefarious by ANY solicitor of late in the news.

-Margaret Mead-

#14 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Part of the "problem' in this lily white town is when a solicitor is of color... from what I have read in past posts in this very forum and in other sites is "shady' often equates to "person of color' and I think that stinks ---
I have had some of the best conversations with many of these people selling cleaner and such - it is funny and entertaining and not in the least a 'shady' person... even if they are not telling the truth about where they are from and such...

Much ado about nothing again - and no proof to suggest anything nefarious by ANY solicitor of late in the news.

I don't think that's fair, Ken, to the posters here or this community. If it makes you feel any better, the guy that tried to push past me into my home and got angry when I wouldn't allow him in was Caucasian, not "of color." Also, I don't think my neighborhood would fit the broad-brush description you are giving to Folsom.

If you find it entertaining to have someone come unannounced to your door and waste your time when you work out of your home or are trying to make dinner or take care of small children, to each his/her own. I personally find it annoying as heck that I'm forced to cut short a conversation on the phone to answer the door for someone that just wants my money and lies to me about having just talked to my "neighbor down the street" who suggested they come talk to me, all the while pointing to a house that has been vacant for over a year.

#15 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I don't think that's fair, Ken, to the posters here or this community. If it makes you feel any better, the guy that tried to push past me into my home and got angry when I wouldn't allow him in was Caucasian, not "of color." Also, I don't think my neighborhood would fit the broad-brush description you are giving to Folsom.

If you find it entertaining to have someone come unannounced to your door and waste your time when you work out of your home or are trying to make dinner or take care of small children, to each his/her own. I personally find it annoying as heck that I'm forced to cut short a conversation on the phone to answer the door for someone that just wants my money and lies to me about having just talked to my "neighbor down the street" who suggested they come talk to me, all the while pointing to a house that has been vacant for over a year.

Ken's response is also an unfair characterization of the kinds of complaints I've seen posted on MyFolsom. The reasons people offer for distrusting solicitors are usually pretty specific and haven't been about race that I can remember.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users