• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

My wife went to our local Farmers Market yesterday and while it was small, it was nice. We plan to go every weekend so we hope it grows in both popularity and more vendors wanting to sell here in Folsom. There were some very nice fresh products there.

We bought some fresh lettuce and bok choy from one vendor, some really great pomegranate grilling marinade from another vendor, a variety of peaches and nectarines from a long time vendor (pic below)

Posted Image

and then we found our new favorite vendor who was there for the first time and had really great gourmet imported cheeses, olives, salamis and more, we bought a few items and had a great Sunday afternoon picnic. (pics below)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I highly recommend checking out our local Folsom Farmers Market soon - it runs from 8am to noon on Sundays.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

great! the cheese vendor looks new. I'd go just for that! I need to get one of those collapsible market carts! thanks for posting, Dave!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

great! the cheese vendor looks new. I'd go just for that! I need to get one of those collapsible market carts! thanks for posting, Dave!

This was the cheese vendor's first time there and she said she will be back. I was impressed by her detailed knowledge of everything she was selling and of how she had all the cheeses very nicely cooled and well kept with a unique ice setup she had underneath the displays.

I know I'll be back to get some more goods from her, because like you, I'd go just for those great cheeses and olives! Oh and she takes bank/credit cards with a mobile cc machine -so if you didn't hit the atm before going, you can still get a lot of stuff at her booth (that can be good and bad hehehe)

#4 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I definitely want to check this out. Do you know if the fruits, mainly peaches/nectarines, were soft? Or were they hard as rocks like all the grocery stores have.

#5 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

I haven't been to the one on Sutter in a couple of years since it was only a handful of vendors. Has it gotten any better?

BTW the one on Thursdays in the Intel parking lot is pretty good. A lot of the same vendors from EDH.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

The market on Sundays on Sutter Street would get better attendance (and more sales) if they opened it up to more vendors, but the last time I suggested this to the guy who manages that market, he said they didn't want more than one vendor selling the same thing.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hey Dave, looks good and great pics. Where is this one held? I might try to check out this weekend (will they be there on a holiday weekend?).

#8 marianna

marianna

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

I haven't been to the one on Sutter in a couple of years since it was only a handful of vendors. Has it gotten any better?

BTW the one on Thursdays in the Intel parking lot is pretty good. A lot of the same vendors from EDH.

Is this open to non-Intel employees? In what area of the parking lot is the market held?

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hey Dave, looks good and great pics. Where is this one held? I might try to check out this weekend (will they be there on a holiday weekend?).

It's held on Sutter Street Sunday mornings from 8:30 to Noon

Is this open to non-Intel employees? In what area of the parking lot is the market held?

I'd like to find out that info too and check it out if it's for non-employees (?)

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

I definitely want to check this out. Do you know if the fruits, mainly peaches/nectarines, were soft? Or were they hard as rocks like all the grocery stores have.

They were more soft then hard. I don't normally like peaches that much, but the ones this vendor sells are really good. They have all different kinds and even had one that was called a "donut" peach - like the one in this picture below

Posted Image

#11 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

The market on Sundays on Sutter Street would get better attendance (and more sales) if they opened it up to more vendors, but the last time I suggested this to the guy who manages that market, he said they didn't want more than one vendor selling the same thing.

What a horrible way to run a market. Without multiple vendors competing on prices they are just going to charge whatever they want. I don't think I'll be going back...

I believe its open to anyone and is located in front of FM4. You'll want to park in the far overflow lot next to Iron Point.

#12 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

What a horrible way to run a market. Without multiple vendors competing on prices they are just going to charge whatever they want. I don't think I'll be going back...

Vendors can only charge what the market will bare no matter how much competition or not is present. I do agree that it doesn't seem to be very wise to operate our small market that way, the more vendors there are, the better....

Does the Intel farmers market have multiple vendors with the same stuff?

#13 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

They were more soft then hard. I don't normally like peaches that much, but the ones this vendor sells are really good. They have all different kinds and even had one that was called a "donut" peach - like the one in this picture below

Posted Image

What was the average price per pound for the produce? I remember the days when it was $1/lb, and you knew you were getting a great deal if it was <$1/lb.

Do you know if the peaches/nectarines are all clings, or are the freestone in season yet? Your picture looks like a cling. I prefer freestone.

Did they have seeded watermelon?

#14 chiefo

chiefo

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Those fruit prices look a little inflated. At the Tuesday farmers market on 16th St in Sacramento fruit prices are $1-$1.50 per pound. But those cheeses and meats look delicious. I think I'll check it out just for that.

#15 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

Those fruit prices look a little inflated. At the Tuesday farmers market on 16th St in Sacramento fruit prices are $1-$1.50 per pound. But those cheeses and meats look delicious. I think I'll check it out just for that.

If there is only ONE vendor, then they will charge what whatever they like. I guess we can see if the price decreases next week. I can't see many people willing to pay $2.50 per pound though.

I know most other farmer's will cut the price towards the end of the market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users