• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Codyblue

Codyblue

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

I am a small business owner and wanted feedback to see if it's a good idea to start a kids recreational facility in Folsom. This arcade would not be just a regular arcade. The idea behind it is very innovative and provides learning for kids and also adults. Please give me your feedback. The pricing would be $10 per 2 hour time slot/$12 for 4 hour time slot and $15 for all day. The pricing is per person based.

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

Can you provide a better description of what kinds of activities might be included?

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

I have fond memories of playing video games in an arcade when I was a youngster. Back then, we paid to play games separately and didn't pay for an entrance fee. I am not fond of the pay per time and prefer to pay for only what I use.

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

Not sure exactly what your concept here is but you're gonna have a hard time topping Dave and Busters! Years ago there was a "traditional" arcade in Folsom by the movie theaters across from the Outlets. He couldn't get enough business and went under and he charged no admission fee. 

I don't think kids these days are inclined to pay to get into a place to have fun AND learn. They want some fun and entertainment at a minimum cost and the parents will too.

#5 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

I think that the concept would have to have something unique and exciting to get customers.  I'm not sure why someone would walk/ride/drive to your business to pay a fee to play games when existing gaming systems have such a strong online and social aspect already.  Gaming shops died off several years ago as online gaming at home became common.

So, that's the million dollar question; what would be unique about your business that would attract customers that would currently sit at home playing games?  Maybe you think your target audience is a different group and not the typical gamer?

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Something similar to "Busters"??

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#7 Codyblue

Codyblue

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thanks all - really appreciate all your thoughts. Nothing close to D&B. The concept is very different and innovative. It's no traditional gaming system/arcade concept. Actually there will be no big arcade games at all. You pay an admission fee to get free play for different time slots. The idea is to have pure fun (which I am pretty sure kids are going to fall in love with it).

What about the pricing....do you think it's a good price structure?

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

You're asking for our input while keeping the concept a secret. I can't have an opinion on whether pricing is fair unless I understand what it is patrons get to do. But that's me.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

In general, I'm not a big fan of the $$/time slot structure, especially if the activities are single player type where the kids would have to wait their turn. If the kid currently playing is really good, then the wait could be really long and everyone else would end up "wasting" all their time waiting in line and watching someone else play instead of playing themselves. On the other hand, I have seen this pricing structure work at the indoor type play places that have enough tunnels, ball pits, etc. for multiple kids to use at the same time. So the pricing structure really depends on what type of activities you'll be offering. 

As for the actual dollar amount, what is the age of your target market? You need to consider where else parents could take those kids for the same amount of money. For the elementary age kids a few competing places that come to mind are: the aquatic center is $7 all day +$3 inflatables. Sports Complex is maybe $5/2-hours drop-in? Movies $5 on Tuesday, $7 matinee. Library, parks, etc - free.

If you stay with the $$/time slot, I think it would be a good idea to consider letting the adults in for free if they don't plan on playing. Having a place for them to sit and watch while the kids play would be a nice bonus, too. 

Would the time slots be set? Say the first time slot is 10am-12pm, but I arrive at 11:00, then I still pay the same amount but only play for one hour or I have to wait until noon for the next time slot? I probably wouldn't do either. If the time starts whenever I arrive, then how will you track when each persons time is up? 

#10 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

I agree with Deb aka Resume Lady.

You say, "The concept is very different and innovative," and then "The idea behind it is very innovative and provides learning for kids and also adults."

Do tell. This description tells me nothing of whether I might think it is a "good" concept/idea or not. From what I've heard so far (basically nothing), not interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users