17 replies to this topic

#16 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

Contact Folsom Traffic Engineer, Mark Rackovan (Public Works) and ask for the issue to be put on the Traffic Safety Committee agenda, while the committee still exists. In addition, the city has adopted a Neighborhood Traffic management Plan to address these kinds of issues. Ask that it be implemented in your neighborhood.

As for the little signs. We use them when our kids our playing in the alley behind our house. As CW noted, no, many of us do not have back yards large enough to do active play, and using the front yards (or alleys or cul-de-sacs) is a great way to get the neighborhood kids interacting without having to schedule play dates.

A key point on these warning signs: they should only be out when the kids are playing. Otherwise, they will quickly lose their effectiveness by becoming part of the background (that's why most cities, including Folsom, will not install "Slow, Children at Play" signs. And, as we have experienced, they don't work on everyone (even sometimes neighbors -- we have one who refuses to slow down even while protesting how concerned she is about the safety of all the "babies" in the neighborhood -- yes, you know who you are). So, it's also important to drill into the kids the basic safety message about cars (when one sees or hears a car, they yell "car" and everyone moves to the edge of the alley, stops and (ideally) waves to the driver as the car passes).

#17 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (MrsTuffPaws @ Jun 20 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw a little sandwich board sign on someone's lawn that really made me slow down to read (not that I normally speed mind you). It said something like "Speeding kills bears" complete with picture of a bear with 4 paws in the air, ala bugs bunny. It was so random, I loved it. I want one for my lawn, as people like to travel 90 down this 30mph road sometimes.

Those are in Yosemite. I saw one defaced with GUNS WORK BETTER
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#18 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Thinkingoutloud @ Jun 25 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are all right - speeding is a problem everywhere in Folsom, it seems. I'm in Lex Hills and people zoom down our streets as well. I saw these florcent (sp?) mini-kid "statues" for the lawn that hold alert flags at Home Depot or Lowe's that I thought was really clever.

I just wondered if I would look like a dork putting one up, considering I don't have a kid. tongue.gif

those 'statues' work very well - we have neighbors that use them and they put them in the street ( withing the car parking zone) on both sides when their kids are playing out.

While I am always aware of the potential of kids out and drive <25 - I slow to 10-15 as I pass these signs as you never know when a kid will run out after a ball or something.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users