• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boobear

boobear

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

I read several posts here where people complained about paying $100 in HOA dues or that they pay that amount for the HOA to maintain their front yard. That's nothing as compared to what I'm paying every month. Well, would you believe I pay $330 a month? This doesn't include garbage/sewer or water unlike HOA's in the Bay Area. I live in the Folsom Bluffs complex by Folsom-Auburn and Oak Park Avenue. They have gardeners come every Thursday to mow my 7 x 20 lawn. Mind you, just MOW!! They don't even apply fertilizer or turn on the sprinklers. My townhouse faces the afternoon sun and now that the weather is getting warmer, my lawn is starting to brown. I personally water my lawn and apply fertilizer to keep it green. I know I will end up paying $100 or more for water usage this month.

The complex is 27 yrs old and the board of directors implied that the hefty HOA is needed for the upkeep of the complex. They complained that they didn't impose HOA dues before so now they penalize us new owners to pay for their stupidity for not imposing the dues years ago. This complex is runned by three retired widows and one widower. They've lived here since the complex opened. They act as if they own the whole complex. One other beef I have against this place is that we can't park our automobiles in our own driveway overnight. We received several violation letters for parking in the driveway for a few nights and was once penalized $25 for that supposed violation. I don't really know why they would care about parked cas in the driveway at night when people are sleeping. As if it's a life and death situation. These four people have so much time on their hands and we often see them walk back and forth looking for things to nitpick like parked cars or if you planted a flowering plant without their permission. We have to park our cars two blocks away down the hill. I learned my lesson the hard way. I should have asked for the CC& R after we made our offer on this house so we could have backed out of our offer. I plan to sell this townhouse in a month and I'm afraid buyers will be turned off with the hefty hoa dues. I'm buying a house in the Prairie Oaks area and right after I read the disclosure that there's CC&R, I immediately asked for the CC&R and read it word for word. I don't want another debacle. I hope this will be a lesson for everyone
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif grrr.gif weirdsmiley.gif sad.gif cuss3.gif

#2 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

The area you are describing is not in Empire Ranch. I think you posted in the wrong forum.

#3 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Erika @ Apr 29 2006, 10:34 PM) View Post

The area you are describing is not in Empire Ranch. I think you posted in the wrong forum.

<ahem> Do you know what forum you're posting in? hehe. As for hoa's/cc&rs, you should have been given any cc&rs as part of disclosure when you originally bought the property. Some people like the "stepford" aspect of cc&rs <cough> Gold River <cough>. Rancho Murietta also has some onerous ones. I think you need some rules, but having people outside your house measuring the height of your bushes is a little over the line (I know someone who moved because of this). On the other hand, you can have all the cc&rs you want, and without a HA, they are difficult to enforce.

As with most things, extremism in either direction is not the best solution. Good luck on your move!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#4 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

We lived in condos in Fair Oaks before buying in Natoma Station. We wanted to put in a small cement pad for a patio and a fence around it. I submitted my plans to the committee and at the meeting they denied it The committe chairman stood up and said it was because if our two condos were on the market at the same time, ours would sell first because of the pad and fence. That was her reason. I stood up and started arguing and they voted on it and we got it approved (I think because of her comment, they didn't want me coming back at them legally). It was the same thing. The board was power hungry. It was difficult to get anything done. When we left they were getting ready to charge all owners over $2000 for additional maintenance. I am so glad we moved. Natoma Station is great!

#5 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:59 AM

Sheesh...I love my no HOA neighborhood! The vast majority of the folks here take good care of their homes and yards and I can pretty much do whatever I want with my own place in terms of landscaping, putting in a pool, etc. For instance, right now we're looking at having some landscaping work done in the front yard. I'm so glad that I don't have to go to some committee and ask their permission. I just have to decide if I like the plans or not.

We were thinking about moving to another neighborhood in Folsom, but the more I hear, the happier I get with where I am now!

#6 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ May 1 2006, 11:59 AM) View Post

Sheesh...I love my no HOA neighborhood! The vast majority of the folks here take good care of their homes and yards and I can pretty much do whatever I want with my own place in terms of landscaping, putting in a pool, etc. For instance, right now we're looking at having some landscaping work done in the front yard. I'm so glad that I don't have to go to some committee and ask their permission. I just have to decide if I like the plans or not.

We were thinking about moving to another neighborhood in Folsom, but the more I hear, the happier I get with where I am now!

HOA have their pros and cons. and you always have to ask yourself...... what will the new neighbors be like?
Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users