Walmart Crv Recycle - Beware On Plastic Bottles

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

While my tests of counted glass beer bottles seem to pass the test at the CRV redemption center in the Walmart parking lot, they are not even close on plastic drink CRV bottles.

I did a small test last week on the 1/2 liter standard plastic bottles and was offered a CRV equivalent of 57% of the CRV value - it was only 38 bottles but they offered $1.10 instead of the $1.90 CRV value. I challenged it and asked for a count for full value of the $0.05 per bottle I paid for the CRV and I had to count them out and got the full amount.

IT is a small issue - but an issue non the less.

Just so you know

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

... IT is a small issue ...

Not when you multiply it by the volume they process over time. I wonder if this could fall under the jurisdiction of the Dept of Food & Ag Division of Measurement Standards. There might be a weights and measures violation here.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#3 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I feel entitled to my full refund on CRV too if I'm going to take the time to collect them and recycle them myself. I'll ask for the individual count because of this too. :)

While my tests of counted glass beer bottles seem to pass the test at the CRV redemption center in the Walmart parking lot, they are not even close on plastic drink CRV bottles.

I did a small test last week on the 1/2 liter standard plastic bottles and was offered a CRV equivalent of 57% of the CRV value - it was only 38 bottles but they offered $1.10 instead of the $1.90 CRV value. I challenged it and asked for a count for full value of the $0.05 per bottle I paid for the CRV and I had to count them out and got the full amount.

Just so you know

Cheers
F500

#4 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

wonder what agency regulates this. I know they are always checking gas stations to make sure you get the gallon of gas you pay for. this was good investigative work,

#5 happysmom

happysmom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:29 AM

The recycling at Walmart doesn't like to do individual. They like to do it by weight. They actually told me to go over the to IGA recycling center. That guy is super nice and does all individual recycling. He even talks bad about the Walmart one. However, that doesn't make it right. In CT where I am from every store that sells a bottle must take it back and give full CRV on indivdual items. They all have the automated machines in their lobbies. It seems like a big scam here becuase most people just recycle and don't get their $ back.

#6 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:56 AM

We recycle CRV stuff through Empire Oaks' recycling program. Every Tuesday we drop off a bag in the bins that they have. You can just drive through the parking lot and drop the stuff off. The school gets 50% of the proceeds.

Just another option for those not inclined to go to places like the Walmart facility.

#7 DustyDog

DustyDog

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

In some more forward thinking states, they have machines in the grocery stores that patrons feed the cans and bottles into. The machine reads the bar codes on the vessel and spits out a receipt for 10 cents (bottle deposit) for each one that was fed into it. It even flattens the cans. The customer takes the receipt to cash register and they give you the cash. A much better system than getting them weighed in special garbage cans. But then again I said it was in forward thinking states.
<i></i>There is only one thing that man should take seriously, and that is nothing should be taken too seriously. -Samuel Butler

#8 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

In some more forward thinking states, they have machines in the grocery stores that patrons feed the cans and bottles into. The machine reads the bar codes on the vessel and spits out a receipt for 10 cents (bottle deposit) for each one that was fed into it. It even flattens the cans. The customer takes the receipt to cash register and they give you the cash. A much better system than getting them weighed in special garbage cans. But then again I said it was in forward thinking states.

Just think of the environmental savings if we went back to the days of glass bottles being returned that were then washed and re-filled. Remember the thick glass bottles that sometimes could even handle being dropped with out breaking. Of course in our mega-size modern world, most people couldn't survive on a mere 6 1/2 fluid ounce of coca-cola. But I remember collecting those bottles as they had different cities identifying where they originally came from. Washing & re-filling is far more environmentally friendly than melting down to form a new bottle. Sometimes backwards thinking is more environmentally friendly. Plastics made the throw-away society possible.

Out of the logo, Recycle Reduce Reuse, we don't do enough reusing in our society. We used to Reuse more than we do today. And large corporations really need to help with the Reduce, improvements have been made, but we still over-package many products.
I would rather be Backpacking

#9 glad2Bme

glad2Bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Just so you know

Cheers
F500

A friend of mine who lives in American River Canyon says that at Vicks grocery store there (I think on Oak Ave & ARC Drive) they have a machine that you feed, so that you get credit for all your bottles. I haven't gone there yet, but might really consider it since you brought up this issue!

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

I go to the one at Walmart and I take 50 one liter plastic bottles @ .10 each.

I tell him that there are 50 at .10 and he always gives me $5.00 for them.

The problem with the one liter bottles is that he will only take 50 at a time
and he has a sign up there saying that. I don't understand why I can't take
all I have at one time. I have over 200 of them here right now.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#11 happysmom

happysmom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

If you have more than $5 worth they want you to do it by the pound. You are lucky the guy at Walmart takes them. He told me he would do it as a favor but from then on I had to go to Vic's. He only likes to do it by the pound at Walmart he saud. The machine at Vic's only works sometimes. Not turned on, jammed, full. etc.

#12 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

I go to the one at Walmart and I take 50 one liter plastic bottles @ .10 each.

I tell him that there are 50 at .10 and he always gives me $5.00 for them.

The problem with the one liter bottles is that he will only take 50 at a time
and he has a sign up there saying that. I don't understand why I can't take
all I have at one time. I have over 200 of them here right now.

I think it is a volume thing. that's just a guess on my part, but it's what I think the issue is.
I would rather be Backpacking

#13 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:26 AM

If you have more than $5 worth they want you to do it by the pound. You are lucky the guy at Walmart takes them. He told me he would do it as a favor but from then on I had to go to Vic's. He only likes to do it by the pound at Walmart he saud. The machine at Vic's only works sometimes. Not turned on, jammed, full. etc.

Second time ( or more ) that Vic's was mentioned - where is it ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#14 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

Vic's is on Oak Avenue Pkwy across from the entrance to American River Canyon North.

#15 Ichibon

Ichibon

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Too many to mention!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Living Legend for the good work.

I wish we had other options too. I like my CRV money as treat. Like a kid doing their chores, most of the time I don't get enough for lunch!
Does anyone know about the cap v.s. no-cap issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users