15 replies to this topic

#1 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

Last month I went in for my annual mammogram. When I got a call a few days later, I assumed it was the one that tells me everything looks great, and I don't have to think about it for another year.
Actually, it was to schedule me to come back and have additional images (possibly more compression) and an ultrasound. I scheduled for the next available appointment (not until next week) and asked exactly why it was I needed to do this. All she would say was that the Radiologist requested it, and it's actually quite common.

Huh?

Is it really?

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (EDH Jen @ Jun 21 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last month I went in for my annual mammogram. When I got a call a few days later, I assumed it was the one that tells me everything looks great, and I don't have to think about it for another year.
Actually, it was to schedule me to come back and have additional images (possibly more compression) and an ultrasound. I scheduled for the next available appointment (not until next week) and asked exactly why it was I needed to do this. All she would say was that the Radiologist requested it, and it's actually quite common.

Huh?

Is it really?

Yes, it is. Mammograms are good things, for sure, but they aren't exact nor foolproof. I've had mammograms, ultrasounds and MRIs and nothing abnormal has developed. Ultrasounds are great for lumps because they, unlike a mammogram, can tell you if it's a cyst or if it's fluid-filled, what the boundaries (symmetrical is better) are and things of that nature. Cysts are very common.

Which RAS was this? If you can get your doctor to OK it, have it rescheduled at the RAS in East Sac. They deal only with breast images. RAS in Folsom have been good, but I'm not a big fan of RAS in Roseville. I have a very high breast cancer risk and when I had a lump the radiologist couldn't tell what it was, I asked for an ultrasound. He said he'd rather just have me come back in six months because he "didn't want the other radiologists to laugh at him for scheduling a more in-depth procedure for someone in their 30s" though once I explained my history he agreed. He told me it was a good thing I explained that to him because I was right. (Um, isn't it HIS job to do that?)

Anyway, good luck. If you are w/ Sutter, I have a great doctor recommendation at their breast center. She's a killer surgeon and an excellent doctor.

#3 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

I'm not a doctor, and you should take my post with a grain of salt:

That said, mammograms have a false-negative rate of 10%, the doctor may have felt he/she might have missed something as it can be difficult to test with surrounding tissue. In which case they'll want to do another one and review the area.

It could also mean that the radiologist made a mistake.

This has happened to my aunt, and it turned out to be nothing, she panicked and was worrying for a good two weeks. Important thing to remember, is to stay calm and stay positive. Wait for the results to come back.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#4 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

Thanks, y'all. That's all I was really wondering. It was a first for me.
I always go to RAS in Folsom, just for convenience. That's good to know about the East Sac facility.
I haven't been worrying, but I can't say I'm thrilled at having to go back so soon and do this all over plus.....but I will.
I thought about calling my doctor (who is awesome) and asking her what RAS communicated to her, but she has more important things to deal with, and I'm not losing sleep over this. If I were; I'd call her.

Thanks again!

#5 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

EDH Jen,

To go along with CW68, I too have had recalls, ultrasounds and even biopsies(sp). All have turned out fine. One time they even kept me after the mamogram to do an ultrasound! That put some stress on me! All has been fine. There are different kinds of breast and some seem to make it harder to confirm that everything is ok.

I am going to check out the East Sac. I have been to Folsom (seems to take forever), also Roseville, (good experience there), but if they only read breast that would be even better.

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#6 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (M.E.G. @ Jun 21 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One time they even kept me after the mamogram to do an ultrasound!

I wish they had kept me after the mammogram! I was with the tech no more than 5 minutes, start to finish, then got dressed and went home, after I had waited in the reception area for about 20 minutes prior to getting called back. It just seems inefficient.
It seems as though the technology has greatly improved over the past few years, and the tech was able to see the images on a screen as they were being taken...I don't know. Just wish there hadn't been nearly a month in between my initial visit and the re-visit.

#7 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Yup, happened to me. They said I had "dense breast tissue"......??? had to go back for more films....no biggie.

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (EDH Jen @ Jun 21 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish they had kept me after the mammogram! I was with the tech no more than 5 minutes, start to finish, then got dressed and went home, after I had waited in the reception area for about 20 minutes prior to getting called back. It just seems inefficient.
It seems as though the technology has greatly improved over the past few years, and the tech was able to see the images on a screen as they were being taken...I don't know. Just wish there hadn't been nearly a month in between my initial visit and the re-visit.

The tech isn't qualified to do a comprehensive reading and interpretation of the images taken. It if is obvious there isn't a clear image, the tech will keep you to get more images. But when the doctor reviews the images, he/she may detect an area that needs further review. The tech just isn't qualified to do the doctor's job.

BTW... I, too, only go to the RAS in Sac for mammograms.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (EAH @ Jun 21 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, happened to me. They said I had "dense breast tissue"......??? had to go back for more films....no biggie.

The younger you are, the denser your tissue is. Mammograms get more accurate the older you get.

#10 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Jun 22 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The younger you are, the denser your tissue is.

I seriously doubt that was the problem!

#11 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (EDH Jen @ Jun 22 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seriously doubt that was the problem!

In general CW is correct. But not all younger women have dense breast tissue and not all women's breasts become less dense as they age. Unless you've been told before that you do not have dense tissue, this could be the issue.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#12 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

Had my do-over mammogram appointment on Tuesday and got the call from my doctor this morning - "Normal".
Yay! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#13 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (EDH Jen @ Jun 25 2009, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had my do-over mammogram appointment on Tuesday and got the call from my doctor this morning - "Normal".
Yay! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Good to hear! Yay you.

#14 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

Now you can breath again!

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!