5 replies to this topic

#1 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 08:14 AM

I was wondering about some of the following locations...

The 2 mobile home parks we have off of Folsom-Auburn
The mobile home park we have off of Sibley
the supposed "prison family" communities that were built in the 50's for families of prisoners (I dunno if they even exist anymore)
Folsom Prison (hey, let's face it, we pay THEM $30,000 a year to live here)

... do any of these qualify for the allotted land for low-income housing? I know I was being a tad sarcastic with the Folsom prison comment, but I would imagine that those trailer parks would have to qualify... you can't convince me that's expensive to live in.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#2 Janet

Janet

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 09:28 PM

It is my understanding that the mayor accepted the deal with LSNC because he was afraid that asking for credit of existing low income properties would open up a can of worms. Instead of having to provide 2857 units we could have thousands more to provide because the law was not being complied with for years and years. Taking the deal to rezone 128 ac. would "wipe out the sins of the past" and the city could start with a clean slate.

So, no, we cannot count the existing low income properties.

This, in part, is what Udell's lawsuit is about. It is my understanding that he feels we should have tried to get credit for what we have.

#3 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 11:47 AM

I think maybe some of us have different views of what "Affordable Housing" means.

To me some affordable housing means a place to live that the owner/renter can afford to maintain. This could be small condos or townhouses, manufactured housing, or apartments.

There are three manufactured home communities along Folsom-Auburn Rd. One of Folsom's most respected citizen owns and lives in one of these communities.

One of the loveliest apartment complex communities is on Blue Ravine near the middle school.

I moved to an established small "condo" community (one of only 3 that I know of in Folsom ) from Lex. Hills which is located in a very up-scale single family area.

Is this what is meant by "low-income housing? What and where is the "Folsom prison housing"?

I bought just about the last "affordable" housing unit in Folsom. There is a m;ajor need for affordable housing for senior retirees who cannot handle the expense or maintenance of some (most?) single family houses.

Why does "affordable housing" get classed only with poverty and deadbeats? Some of us did not have 6 figure incomes before we retired. For some retirees, paying for medications is close to making a mortgage payment!

This is why Folsom voters need to be able to have more informtion about what their city council members are planning, if they are planning for Folsom residents at all. What kind of "affordable housing" is planned for what location? This information should have been known and provided years ago? Why wasn't it?

#4 SusieQ

SusieQ

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 09:45 PM

You are correct that the mobile home parks and the apartments in the Montrose, Duchow, Talisman area should qualify as affordable housing. I believe all of them fit the criteria except for one critical aspect. There must be rent control, or so the city staff said at earlier meetings. This point has been made at meetings with the city---find a way to qualify the affordable housing that does exist in Folsom. It would certainly save all this rezoning.

#5 (outtahere)

(outtahere)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 November 2002 - 06:08 PM

I can understand most of the arguments for affordable housing (although I don't agree with most). Affordable housing for seniors? Why not do what my parents did when they could no longer afford California? They left. Moved to Florida first, and years later to Arizona. I can't wait to tell them all about this deal I'm sure they'll qualify...

When I no longer could afford living in a major city like Chicago, NY, San Francisco, LA, I left. Silly me. All I needed to do was to get the affordable housing advocates involved and I can live anywhere!

I remember being a bike messenger when I was 18 and a clerk-typist at 19 and couldn't afford anything. That's when I started working full-time and going to school at night full-time to get my bachelor's/masters, etc. for almost 10years! Whatever happened to capitalism in America? I guess that's just a tag line....

I also realized that becoming a teacher wouldn't pay the bills (oh how i'd love to have a teacher's schedule instead of the 16 hour days x 6 days a week with an 8hour "1/2 day" on Sundays. Not to mention that just about every 3-4 months I can get laid off in Corporate America....

And firemen may be underpaid, but police officers? hmm, some of the ones I know don't qualify for the affordable housing they make $75k+. Sure if you're just starting with the police force you won't be making that, that just gives you an entry into the affordable housing. heck, one of my friends who is a cop in San Diego just bought a $500k house! And he's just a cop on the beat!!

Had I known years ago that I could get a city like Folsom to pay my down payment into an integrated affordable housing community, I would have banked the 6 figures that it cost me for college! Even after college I couldn't afford to buy a house until I was 35! (I was too busy repaying all my student loans).

I can't wait to tell my nephews about this sweet deal. They're just turning 21 now and I'll be happy to sponsor them into this affordable housing (neither makes more than $45k and they all have jobs) and here they are thinking about going back to college for a masters so they can afford California. Geez, I wish this deal was around when I was 21.....

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 03:24 PM

I asked the planning department if they could do the following. I
sent the message to Gail Furness De Pardo in the planning department.

Subject: REZONE MAP

Gail,

I left a message at 355-7222 about getting a map of
the properties that have been rezoned, properties
presently before the city council that are about to be
rezoned and the additional properties that are being
looked at for possible rezoning.

I need a current map prior to the next city council
meeting. Can a map like this be put on line somewhere
with different colors that show rezoned, considered
rezones before the council and possible others that
are being considered?

At one of the last city council meetings there was a
series of 3 maps, i.e.:

Page 18 PROPERTIES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN REZONED
(THESE WERE IN RED)
Page 21 GROUP 1 - REZONE SITES SCHEDULED FOR THE
NOVEMBER 12, 2002 CITY COUNCIL MEETING
(THESE WERE IN YELLOW)
Page 24 ADDITIONAL ELIGIBLE SITES FOR REZONING
(I think these were in gold or yellow)

Do you have a newer updated map? I would be glad to
come down and pick them up if you have them.

---------------------------------

Calvin -

I am working on getting the exhibits that you describe below posted on
the website. Gail

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users