• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dada

dada

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

I have been to the El Dorado Hills Auto Care on Green Valley Rd several times for oil changes and received good quality service. They are now owned by Firestone. After a recent service visit, they recommended that I replace my radiator and battery for ~$600. I was expecting a $30 oil change! I declined and took my car to a shop that I know and trust to have Firestone's recommendations checked out. They confirmed that the radiator and battery were fine and did not need replaced. I'm not sure if this is how Firestone plans to do business so beware.

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(dada @ Feb 24 2008, 02:30 PM) View Post
I have been to the El Dorado Hills Auto Care on Green Valley Rd several times for oil changes and received good quality service. They are now owned by Firestone. After a recent service visit, they recommended that I replace my radiator and battery for ~$600. I was expecting a $30 oil change! I declined and took my car to a shop that I know and trust to have Firestone's recommendations checked out. They confirmed that the radiator and battery were fine and did not need replaced. I'm not sure if this is how Firestone plans to do business so beware.

Did you get their recommendations in writing?

Did you pay for the 2nd opinion?

If you said yes to both, I would go back to Firestone and ask for the manager or owner and see what they think. I would suggest they offer to pay for the 2nd opinion as it was their recommendation that made you go get the second opinion, and if the manager or owner doesn't want to correct, tell them fine, that you'll be sending copies of both to Firestone corporate informing them you will never do business at a Firestone store again and that you will be telling all your friends about their practices.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

I have had a bad history of problems with Firestone in Southern, CA. I am happy about your post because their coupons looked tempting. Now I will never try them again-even for FREE.

#4 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:52 AM

I also suggest reporting them to the better business bureau

#5 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Feb 25 2008, 09:52 AM) View Post
I also suggest reporting them to the better business bureau

The prob with BBB is that they lack enforcement power. I had a problem with UHaul @ Sunrise a few years back where I got charged for a Truck that broke down. they eventually gave me another truck, but wanted to charge me for the excess mileage for the truck that was towed back. I went through so much and all my complaints to the BBB was useless. In fact, the BBB regional rep from Phoenix told me that they lack enforcement power.

#6 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

It used to be that when someone was considering buying something from a business they might check for complaints at the BBB, and that was the power the BBB posessed to get companies to resolve issues in a reasonable manner. The BBB is essentially obsolete now.

Now we have a more relevant means to complain about poor customer service or inquire about a company and learn about their past performance. It's right here.

Anyone with good sense will check the reviews here before trying a new restaurant in Folsom. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif ..... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(palango @ Feb 25 2008, 10:19 AM) View Post
The prob with BBB is that they lack enforcement power. I had a problem with UHaul @ Sunrise a few years back where I got charged for a Truck that broke down. they eventually gave me another truck, but wanted to charge me for the excess mileage for the truck that was towed back. I went through so much and all my complaints to the BBB was useless. In fact, the BBB regional rep from Phoenix told me that they lack enforcement power.

I didn't say ask the BBB for help, I said report to them. While the web does a lot to disemminate information, the BBB serves as resource for gathering information about businesses. another place to go would be the local Chamber of Commerce. although, I don't know if EDH has one.

#8 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Feb 25 2008, 12:39 PM) View Post
I didn't say ask the BBB for help, I said report to them. While the web does a lot to disemminate information, the BBB serves as resource for gathering information about businesses. another place to go would be the local Chamber of Commerce. although, I don't know if EDH has one.

EDH does have a chamber of commerce {http://www.eldoradohillschamber.com/}.
Also, what good does it do if you "report" them to the BBB when BBB is useless in enforcement?? It seems to me that reporting them to an entity that has no enforcement power is a waste of time.

I wish there was a better way to hold these business accountable. I mean, if you are a doctor and you do something shady, you can potentially lose your license. If you are a realtor, you could lose your license and go to jail, but if you are Firestone and it is proven that you did somethnig shady, can you just pay a fine and "sweep it under the rug"???

#9 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(palango @ Feb 25 2008, 01:41 PM) View Post
EDH does have a chamber of commerce {http://www.eldoradohillschamber.com/}.
Also, what good does it do if you "report" them to the BBB when BBB is useless in enforcement?? It seems to me that reporting them to an entity that has no enforcement power is a waste of time.

You report them so others can find out about it. Not everyone has the internet. But most have phones and can call or send snail mail to inquire.

That's right, you are all about me,me,me. Why bother doing something to help some stranger you will never meet.

#10 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

A couple of years ago the local BBB wanted my business pay a fee and join the BBB, so I looked into what they're doing for people now. There doesn't seem to be many people utilizing them for complaints or anything related to giving businesses a good reputation. If someone called about my business all they would be told is that we're a member with no complaints. Big deal.

They want businesses to pay to join, but then there's no benefit for the business except they can say they're a member of the BBB. It's like paying a fee to become a "screened dentist" or giving "spicy" a free lunch so he'll give the eatery 4 stars.

#11 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Feb 25 2008, 02:23 PM) View Post
That's right, you are all about me,me,me. Why bother doing something to help some stranger you will never meet.

Thank you for your compliments, but If I have been screwed by a business, I would not only like to share my opinions with others regarding my experience (so they wont make the same mistakes as ME), but I also would liike them to be held accountable as well.

I will also go out of my way to share great customer service as well.

#12 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(palango @ Feb 26 2008, 09:51 AM) View Post
Thank you for your compliments, but If I have been screwed by a business, I would not only like to share my opinions with others regarding my experience (so they wont make the same mistakes as ME), but I also would liike them to be held accountable as well.

I will also go out of my way to share great customer service as well.

Just out of curiousity---

How would you feel if the business' turned that around and did the same to you?

Put a web page up showing the faces and names of people who have hurt their business through theft or fraud or vandalism?

#13 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 26 2008, 09:56 AM) View Post
...Put a web page up showing the faces and names of people who have hurt their business through theft or fraud or vandalism?

Does Macy's have a webcam at their customer service counter?

#14 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 26 2008, 09:56 AM) View Post
Just out of curiousity---

How would you feel if the business' turned that around and did the same to you?

Put a web page up showing the faces and names of people who have hurt their business through theft or fraud or vandalism?

Thank you for your compliments. I invite Macys to do that because the Statute of Limitations have expired based on one naiive actions of young man 15 years ago when maycys was called Robinsons may (in Ventura County).

#15 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(Warren G @ Feb 26 2008, 10:18 AM) View Post
Does Macy's have a webcam at their customer service counter?

hmmmm.. I dunno if I should respond because some moral person out there gave me the following advice just yesterday.

"There is no requirement to do so, and doing so only weakens your argument. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users