24 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

My laptop is almost four years old and I'm beginning to have a host of problems, including frequent crashes and freezes. Yes, I back up my files.

I'm considering what to get next. I've never used a tablet and am wondering about the pros and cons of them vs. laptops and about specific tablets. Since I do so much typing it is important that I be able to type quickly and accurately (I type roughly 90 wpm).

I supposed I'll have to try some out to get a feel for them, but am hoping you good folks can point me in the direction of some worth trying.

Thanks in advance!

Deb

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hi Deb,

I've had limited experience with tablets, and one of the reasons why is due to lack of a keyboard.  There is really no way to enter in so many words using a touch screen keypad, and if you type 90 WPM, that is even more challenging.  Even though you can get a keyboard accessory for many tablets, the keys are very small and cut down on your typing efficiency.  I assume you use MS Office, and it is very hard to edit documents without a mouse.  Also, the smaller tablet screens (8-10") can be painful when working with documents. 

With this said, for you I would recommend looking at 2-in-1 or convertibles, which can function both as a laptop and tablet.  There are some sacrifices as opposed to having dedicated devices.  Smaller screen and keyboard as laptop, not as powerful as laptops vs. larger than tablet, not as fully portable.  I have the Asus T100, which is a decent device for stuff on the go, but I would use it for business purposes because it's pretty small.  I would recommend that you look at the offerings from Lenovo.  I've used Lenovo laptops for many years at work, and even though they do not look "hip" and are higher priced, they are very well built and have a lot of functionality.  I would recommend a Core i3 or faster processor, if you have no issues running from battery for no more than 8 hours.  In addition, be forewarned that you will be using Windows 8.1.  There is a learning curve and it does have its quirks, but there are many resources available for getting it to function the way you want. 

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the input. The biggest problem I've had with the ASUS laptop is that the keyboard isn't sensitive enough to go as fast as I do..... so for the last four years I've had to slow down a tad and press the keys harder than I should have to. :(

Again, thank you for taking the time to share! I appreciate it.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

We got a cheapie Verizon-branded tab running Android, to try.  I didn't find it too useful.  I guess I don't need anything in between my iphone and something with a keyboard.  I'd rather watch TV on a TV.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Just have time for a few, quick comments:

• I'd emphatically stick to laptop over tablet if you're trying to do any "real" work or tying on it. Many apps and sites are hard to use on tablets if you're used to the desktop/laptop versions. 
  • Tablets are great to have if you travel. For instance, I have a once a month board meeting in SF and I always take my iPad with external keyboard. 
  • Bought a laptop with an AMD processor recently and it was SO SLOW. Had to return it. Bought an intel i7 and there's a dramatic difference in speed. You truly do get what you pay for with tech these days.
  • Windows 8 - I cannot begin to describe how awful it is and my teenaged daughter has lots of friends who've recently gotten touch-screen laptops and almost all of them say they suck.  

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

Oh and also the aformementioned Verizon cheapie doesn't "handle" nearly as well as iOS.  It misses the intent of touches, etc.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

Just have time for a few, quick comments:

• Bought a laptop with an AMD processor recently and it was SO SLOW. Had to return it. Bought an intel i7 and there's a dramatic difference in speed. You truly do get what you pay for with tech these days.

Not surprised!  :)  Intel Core processors are also more power efficient, so your battery will last longer.  Of course, do consider that I have a bias due to my employer :)

• Windows 8 - I cannot begin to describe how awful it is and my teenaged daughter has lots of friends who've recently gotten touch-screen laptops and almost all of them say they suck.  

I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to learning new OSs, but I will say that Win 8.1 is not as bad as I thought.  It boots up quickly, much faster than it takes for my cell phone or TV to turn on.  Speed and stability are pretty good, and changing the most commonly used PC settings is much easier.  The Start Screen is also not bad if you customize it.  What I don't like is that it is much more difficult to have multiple windows simultaneously open on the same screen.  Seriously, I don't need an app to take up my entire screen.  Subsequent 8.x updates are supposed to fix a lot of the user gripes.

Deb, if you want the Porsche of laptops and are willing to jump ship on Microsoft, get an Apple MacBook.  Very high quality hardware, and a pretty good OS and you can still run MS Office.  There is currently no touch-screen support on the MacBooks; however, so they are still a true laptop, but the Air is very portable.  No Apple Bias here, as I am a hard-core Windows user, mainly because I build my own systems.  

--
-Robert X. Cringely

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

I won't go with MacBooks. Most of my clients use Microsoft and even though you can run MS Office on Macs, there are formatting glitches that create time-consuming nightmares for me when I'm working with clients who have Macs. I don't understand it: We'll both be looking at the same doc, same font size, same ruler width, same everything..... and they'll have several lines dangling over to a second page when my document fits to one. It takes forever to figure out how to make adjustments for them since I'm not seeing what they're seeing. Oy!

Not being able to see several docs on the screen at once would be a HUGE pain as I often have MANY things going at once.Aside from that, what seem to be the big problems with Windows 8? I use touch screen now with 7 and don't have any problems. What is the issue with touch screen on 8?

Thanks for all of your replies!

Deb

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#9 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

I use touch screen now with 7 and don't have any problems. What is the issue with touch screen on 8?

Actually nothing, and using Touch is way better in Win 8 than Win 7.  Since Win 7 was optimized for a mouse, the buttons are small, and it takes more touch strokes to open a program than in Win 8.    If you had a device that only had a touch screen, you would definitely want Win 8 and not 7.  If you run Win 8 is Desktop mode, you can have multiple Windows open, but you have to go to the Start screen to launch new programs.  

My recommendation to you would be to customize Win 8.1 so it will boot to the Desktop, and then use a 3rd party app to bring back your Start Menu, at least until it is supposedly reintroduced in Win 8.2 in August.  http://en.wikipedia....s_for_Windows_8

--
-Robert X. Cringely

#10 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

I LOVE my iPad (have both original & mini sizes). I have a bluetooth enabled keyboard for the mini. It works pretty good. But, I don't use either for business. And I would not want to rely on either for business use, unless there was a specific program that had been validated for my type of work. I'm using a desktop with 2 monitors for work.

I would have to agree with most of the previous comments of using a laptop vs a tablet. I personally love the Mac technology. If you are used to & really like a laptop, then it will be a challenge to change. The programs are tablet versions, not full versions that you would be used to on a laptop.

#11 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

I'm using a desktop with 2 monitors for work.

Ah yes, I love dual monitors!  I have dual monitors at work, and get a lot done.  Plus they run off my laptop sitting in a docking station, so when I need to go somewhere, I eject my laptop and take it with me.  I still use Win 7 at work.  However, Win 8 does handle dual monitors pretty nicely.  You can run one monitor in Desktop mode, and the other in Metro Start Screen, so you could have 1 monitor for work and 1 for play :)  If you want to get a lot of work done, nothing beats 1 or more large monitors (22"+), external full size keyboard, and external full sized mouse.  You'll also avoid many ergo injuries this way.  Make sure whatever laptop or tablet you get can support this, as some cheaper models don't.

--
-Robert X. Cringely

#12 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

quick question mrdavex, I'm setting up for working at home part time, and will be working off two PCs (or PC & laptop), and I need a KVM switch. Any recommendations?

#13 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

quick question mrdavex, I'm setting up for working at home part time, and will be working off two PCs (or PC & laptop), and I need a KVM switch. Any recommendations?

Hi Cali,

I haven't used a KVM at home for a long-time, so I can't give any specific recommendations.  However, you might consider foregoing a KVM switch and doing a remote desktop connection if you have that compatibility.  Basically, here's what happens

1.  Make sure both machines are connected to your home network.

2.  Go to one of the physical machines.

3.  Initiate a Remote session to the other machine (you need to specify the machine name or IP address)

4.  You will have a window appear on your local machine that gives you full control of the remote machine.  You can have this window be full screen or only partial size.  You can do nearly everything through the remote session as you would locally, including audio playback.  However, video playback from the remote machine may be jerky.

I am only familiar with how to do this in Windows, but you can do it in Mac OS.  Not sure if you can do it between a PC and Mac.

--
-Robert X. Cringely

#14 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

Thanks mrdavex (sorry to hijack the topic). I think i will go with a basic KVM switch. It's super easy & doesn't affect speeds.

#15 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Update.

Thanks for the recommendations for a Lenovo laptop. I finally ordered the L540 laptop with upgrades that include a solid state drive (LOVE the speed!) and I got it last week, but was too busy working on my CASA court report to play with it.

Finally opened it Friday and spent the weekend booting things up, transferring software and antivirus programs, and hunting for and uninstalling crap that is bundled in. Unfortunately, I have to send the computer back as there is a problem with the systems board, but I should have it back in about a week. I'm glad I hadn't yet transferred documents and pictures!

Soooooooo, I haven't had a chance to do too much with the computer, but I did adjust the keyboard sensitivity and am much happier with this than the keyboard on my old ASUS. Just playing around I timed myself at 92 wpm, which I couldn't do on the old computer (it couldn't keep up with me!).

The one downside to the Lenovo is the boxy front. The ASUS has a sloped front, which is ergonomically much more comfortable for my wrists. I'm on the hunt for some sort of wrist support I can put in front of the new computer; all suggestions welcome!

Thank again for the recommendations and feedback.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users