23-Year-Old Woman Killed In One-Car Crash

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Did the City's approval of the design of the road contribute to her speeding? If the City had put in traffic calming measures as requested by many of its residents before the road was approved and built, would this have prevented her from speeding and possibly be alive today?  

Ill wager these are questions the Families attorney are going to raise. I wont be surprised that the City will be spending our tax dollars on defending and then settling another lawsuit over this. It could have been avoided.

I have to disagree with you on this one. There is a lot of streets in Folsom that a person could get up to 100 mph if they

wanted to. It is the person behind the wheel that has to control their speed. I am sorry for what happened but it is the

drivers fault. No one else to to blame.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#17 2kids4me

2kids4me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

Did the City's approval of the design of the road contribute to her speeding? If the City had put in traffic calming measures as requested by many of its residents before the road was approved and built, would this have prevented her from speeding and possibly be alive today?  

Ill wager these are questions the Families attorney are going to raise. I wont be surprised that the City will be spending our tax dollars on defending and then settling another lawsuit over this. It could have been avoided.

:lmaosmiley:   Sorry, but you are nutty.

There are some facts about this case that have nothing to do with road design.  We always get into the subject of discussing tragedies like this.  I think it's natural to wonder why a girl slammed into a tree, going over 80 mph, without applying brakes, after she was out partying in EDH.  It is HORRIFIC!  It is so sad that her little child (I heard 2 and 3, either way that's young) will have to grow up without a mom.  So very sad.  Such a shame.  It breaks my heart.  I hope her family is able to step up and support the child.  That being said, while it is extremely tragic, trying to blame the city for this is outright ridiculous!  So typical of many people in today's society.

#18 nowtherestofthestory

nowtherestofthestory

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

2Kidsforme,

Maybe you should educate yourself to California Laws regarding Negligence and who pays the most despite being the tiniest fraction responsible, before calling people nutty.

Maybe you overlooked the term, contributed, in my posts?

Yes, the city could have made the developer take traffic calming measures to reduce the potential of going 80 mph or redesigned the road to reduce the possibility of this happening. They chose not to do this despite many objections from its residents. Its all well and good to say somebody shoudn't have been driving at this speed, if you design a road that is so straight and downhill, other people will and have driven at this speed.

If a driver is driving this speed and crashes into your loved ones and kill them on this road, I suspect your views of the City not having any responsibility would change. If you later found out that citizens lobbied for traffic mitigation to prevent this, but the city allowed the developer off the hook to save them money, I suspect you'd would be even angrier.

Nothing can undo what happened here, but Im trying to raise awareness to avoid having roads built like in this in the future so these incidents are less likely to happen in the future to try an keep us safer going forward.

The same City Council members who approved this road and other dangerous high speed arterials are the same ones approving the new ones.

#19 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

nowtherestofthestory - Does that mean that every government agency involved with roads is at some level responsible for some portion of the blame?  What does an agency need to do to remove this responsibility or is it more of a deep pocket situation?  I always thought the government virtually made it impossible for sue them.

#20 New Girl

New Girl

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

I love the fact we have arterial roads with few stop signs or traffic circles.  Less wear and tear on the vehicle, less wasted fuel, less stress.  This tragedy could have happened on any road.   Me thinks you have another agenda, one more to do with the City Council than this poor girl and her family.  If so you do your cause no good.

#21 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Folsom PD said she was traveling at a high rate of speed.  Its very unfortunate and I have sympathy for this tragic loss, but its not the city's fault she was speeding on this road and, by her own actions, ended up losing her life.  People drive up and down that road all day long and find it perfectly safe.

Exactly right. Trying to blame the road for this is ridiculous.

As I said in the other thread, nothing good happens at 1:30 a.m.

Putting together what we know: 1:30 a.m., excessive speed, no seat belt... I think we all have a "best guess" as to what happened. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow.

#22 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

How sad, my heart and thoughts go out to her family. Somebody lost a daughter, maybe a sister, a cousin, a niece, a granddaughter, a GF, maybe she was a mother? She had friends, classmates and coworkers, they all are suffering tonight.

If were going to speculate publically, then here is mine, maybe she got an emergency phone call from her Grandma who had fallen and couldn't get up and she was racing over to save her, when her brakes gave out going down that long hill and she didn't want to run the red light at the bottom of that steep grade, so she turned into the trees to stop her car and her seat belt failed and she was ejected.

Those of you who have been around for a while may recall how some of the local rabal rousers were up to their stirring up trouble over the proposed arterial due to its long downhill straightaway. They were expressing concerns over the high speeds going down that grade and how that might contribute to violent accidents. They were asking for traffic calming mitigation to be installed, but naturally the developer objected and the council sided with the developer.

In case there is any doubt, these are the same Council members who are approving the lengthy high speed arterials for south of 50.

No doubt the City is going to get named in a lawsuit over this and some of our tax dollars will be siphoned off to pay for the settlement, that will be kept confidential. 99,9999% of the residents will never hear about this and some will keep saying, " We live in a great City and our Council Deserves the credit for keeping it great". When you hear that again, please remember this young lady!

Its not surprising that we ranked as poorly as we do as such a dangerous city to drive in given all the high speed arterials we have with very little mitigation.

Great Citys, have Great leaders who go to Great lengths, to preserve and enhance greatness! We've got a bunch of wannabees who get chapped lips kissing up to the developers so they can keep their seat on the Council!  

I wonder if you are confusing the street where the accident happened (Golf Links) with Iron Point (Costco Hill as commonly referred).  Golf Links does not have a steep grade at all, just a little hilly.Where she hit the tree, it is fairly flat.  Sure, speeding could have been a factor, but I don't think a "steep grade" was part of the problem.

#23 nowtherestofthestory

nowtherestofthestory

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

The City of Folsom has set record for a 2 year high, in number of fatalities involving impaired drivers. Part of the problem contributing to this increase is our higher speed arterials without barriers or traffic calming measures in place. Another part of the problem is the increase of the number people drinking in Folsom and then driving. Having more people drinking and having roads that arent designed as safe as they could be is a bad combination for us the Residents.

This topic has been talked about by others in the community in other media, so its not something new.

Having a city council who will make developers install safety measures on roadways that might save lives is never ridiculous. If this was your daughter who had this accident and died, Im sure each and everyone of you would be upset to find out later that safety measures that could have saved her life , were omitted to save the developer money.

Its really sad some of you cant open your mind to concepts other than all or nothing.

NewGirl, Im happy you've been one of the lucky ones who haven't had an oncoming car hit you head on going  60 mph so far and I hope that continues for you and all of us. Since that has happened to other members of our community, there is lots more wear and tear on a car, than a stop sign. Im sure some of those deceased members would disagree with you on this one. Going 80 mph or faster, reasonably cant happen on most streets in town by drivers. However on our arterials its  easy to get up to this speed, but unacceptable. That's why there needs to be greater emphasis on safety in design of these arterials that will limit excessive speeds and may save lives including yours.

Sat, I should have used the term longer sloping instead of steeper.  I know the accident scene

The Citizens who were raising issues about Golf Links drive, were from other neighborhoods but had the foresight to recognize the potential for violent accidents this was going to be . Sadly they were right as there has been some other bad accidents on this street. From my perspective, this was sorta the end of peoples activism in the community after they were shut out of the planning process during the reopening of the D.A. If you cant be heard or make a difference there is no sense in trying.

#24 2kids4me

2kids4me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

What?!  That is the biggest piece of garbage I've ever heard.  Drunk drivers are 100% responsible for their bad driving.  Do you want all our roads to be windy with stop signs?  Open YOUR mind.  People need to responsible for their own actions.  Stop blaming everyone else.  It's simple - if you are drinking - don't drive.  I have walked home from Back Wine Bar, I have taken taxis, and my husband and I always discuss who is driving. I don't care what road it is, if you are drinking you are the only one responsible for your behavior.  My goodness - I never fail to be amazed at the idiocy of some people these days.  

The concept is VERY simple - I taught it to my children from age 2.  I drive Golf Links every day and I have NEVER hit 85!  I don't want my roads mucked up with speed bumps and turnarounds just because people are too stupid to follow the RULES!

#25 apeman45

apeman45

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

This was a tragic accident.  I heard the victim was the mother of a 4 year old.  Has absolutely nothing to do with the road design.  Speed limit could have been 10 miles an hour.  It wouldn't have stopped this accident.  I drive this road daily and it is safe.  People do speed during the day and what needs to be done is enforcement during those times.  1:30 in the morning anywhere in town could be a problem and all roads can't be perfectly straight.  There was some improvements to a crosswalk near the accident that has helped make it safer.  I believe the speed limit was 40 and was raised to 45 a couple of years ago.  Cops regularly patrol it when school is in session and the Vista kids deservedly get cited often.  

This tragedy can be used as a lesson for others.

Let the family and friends of this girl grieve and quit this ridiculous speculation.  

#26 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

Service Schedule

Celebration of Life for  Stephanie Leigh Mobbs

2 PM, Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Green Valley Mortuary - Cameron Park

3004 Alexandrite Dr., Rescue, CA 95672

"Rest In Peace"

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#27 FolsomRes

FolsomRes

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

I do wish someone would report a follow-up. I drive by the flowers and pictures every day. I'm sorry to hear she had a child.

Folsom Resident

#28 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

There just hasn't been anything else put out in the news.

#29 nowtherestofthestory

nowtherestofthestory

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

There shouldnt be anything released except to the family.  There is no value in having everything being released as it will only spread further talk with no real benefit except to bring up more pain to those who loved her. I know people are searching for answers and closure, but just be greatful it wasn't someone very close to you and say a prayer for her and her family.

Its also a reminder to hug those who you love a little extra and let them know how much you love them!

#30 FolsomRes

FolsomRes

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:11 AM

@ nowtherestofthestory, I do see your point. But also consider that there is a benefit to know how us fellow humans die. I can tell my children to wear a seat belt, follow speed limits, don't drive when you're emotional, don't let your friends leave your home drunk--whatever happened.

Also, her friends and family made the incident public by making a memorial at the scene, a constant reminder to whoever drives by. If the memorial wasn't there, I may have forgotten about the accident. But when I see the memorial on my way home--with  more pictures and flowers added each day--I check my computer to see if anything else has been reported.

Folsom Resident

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users