38 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

I understand State officials are encouraging showering less. Have you changed your habits? How often do you shower? I remember a thread on this a few years ago where many Folsom residents shower two and three times a day.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

2 to 3 times a day??!!!!

With the summer vacation routine, I have started skipping some shower days if I'm still pretty clean from the day before. :-)

I am also a pretty quick shower-er (I think). 10 minutes, tops. I don't stand in there daydreaming.

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

I haven't changed much.  I take short showers anyway.  For those who don't do sedentary work and work outdoors in 100 degree heat, in attics, in a hot kitchen, etc., sometimes two showers are a necessity.

#4 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

10 minutes! That's a long shower.

#5 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

10 minutes! That's a long shower.

Ha ha, I knew someone would say that! Women have more hair than men. It takes time to get all the shampoo out. Then there is the leg-shaving factor.

I haven't timed my showers, but they feel pretty efficient-- like I said, no standing around!

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Ha ha, I knew someone would say that! Women have more hair than men. It takes time to get all the shampoo out. Then there is the leg-shaving factor.

I haven't timed my showers, but they feel pretty efficient-- like I said, no standing around!

It is not necessary to keep the water running while shaving legs. :NEENER: 

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I keep and store all the shower heat up water and then I keep a bucket and a storage container with a funnel in the shower.  catches some of the overspray.  most of this gets used to flush the toilet when it gets to the point when that is necessary.  if you catch my drift. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#8 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

I keep and store all the shower heat up water and then I keep a bucket and a storage container with a funnel in the shower.  catches some of the overspray.  most of this gets used to flush the toilet when it gets to the point when that is necessary.  if you catch my drift. 

I used to keep a bucket in the shower to catch the water as it heated up, but I have since moved it to the tub. With the low-flow shower head it would take minutes to get hot and was hard to catch it all. However, it takes about 15-20 seconds under the high powered tub faucet and there's no waste.

Yes, I skip showers a little more now and then. If you work out or sweat while working taking a quick shower can be good. I have been sending my kids into the bathroom with a washcloth and telling them to wash up like I used to do as a kid so that they can skip some showers too.

I've never understood how some people need to take a shower when they get home from their office job to "wash off the day." Too wasteful for my habits.

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

I wonder if you are joking? I don't mind a few less flushes and a yellow lawn, but I didn't think we were at the point where we have to stand wet and shivering while we shave our legs... then turn the water back on and probably get blasted with cold before the hot comes up again. If this is really what you do, then I nominate you for the "Greatest Sacrifice in Time of Drought" Award! (Sorry cw68, you were the winner for sure before Deb came up with this!)

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

I wonder if you are joking? I don't mind a few less flushes and a yellow lawn, but I didn't think we were at the point where we have to stand wet and shivering while we shave our legs... then turn the water back on and probably get blasted with cold before the hot comes up again. If this is really what you do, then I nominate you for the "Greatest Sacrifice in Time of Drought" Award! (Sorry cw68, you were the winner for sure before Deb came up with this!)

LOL. Do I get to keep that title since that's what I do? It's a pain to stand there in the shower stall with my foot in the wall adjusting the shower, but I do. I can't even turn it down to a trickle because the control starts at cold and goes to hot as you turn the shower up. I can't just have a small stream of hot water.

I have some serious recourse use guilt. Instilled by my parents. It's our version of Jewish or Catholic guilt.

#11 Deanna H

Deanna H

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

I still shower every day, but made changes to how much water I use. I use a container to catch the water while it's warming up and use it to water outside plants. I also turn the water off while shampooing and soaping, so the shower is only running for a about 3 minutes. 

#12 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

LOL. Do I get to keep that title since that's what I do? It's a pain to stand there in the shower stall with my foot in the wall adjusting the shower, but I do. I can't even turn it down to a trickle because the control starts at cold and goes to hot as you turn the shower up. I can't just have a small stream of hot water.

I have some serious recourse use guilt. Instilled by my parents. It's our version of Jewish or Catholic guilt.

Ok, I think we have co-winners of this award!

#13 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

I still shower daily, but I only now sing up to 3 songs instead of an entire setlist :)  So typical shower nowadays is about 5 min, and I have a 1.75 GPM head.  I could do quicker, but the stream of hot water helps relieve some recent muscle aches.  I don't shampoo every day now, but I still have a full head of hair so that habit is still necessary a few times per week.  I use a bucket to catch the warm up water, but my storage buckets have been filling up faster than I can use them.  I bought a 40 gal rain barrel where I can store the excess, but haven't put it together yet.  I tried using it for toilet flushing, but it ended up way too messy.  In fact, it required more water than my dual-flush toilet uses.

Agree, you can use shaving gel or cream and shave before taking a shower.  Note, I'm a guy, but this is what my wife does :)

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#14 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Maybe it takes some folks longer than others to shave! :lmaosmiley:

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#15 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

We have a tankless hot water heater so it takes a few minutes to heat up. We have big buckets in the bathroom we use to collect that water and we are using it to water the vegetable garden. I do shower each morning but don't take super long showers. I'm obsessive about saving water elsewhere in the house so I'm going to allow myself the luxury of not turning it off while I shave. I get chilled very easily. 

As I said, overall, we're pretty obsessive about not wasting water. My daughter took AP Environmental Science last year and is probably even more so than we are. ;)

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users