38 replies to this topic

#31 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

I was watching the news yesterday and they showed a person out painting the dead grass.

If they can't make money cutting the grass, they can paint it.

They have shown this before but it really doesn't look that bad.

Let the grass die and paint it green.

Wonder if the city codes will allow this?

I'm not sure about the code.  I guess it is a temporary solution if you are waiting to plant something other than lawn once we get rains and cooler weather.  Eventually that brown lawn will turn to dirt. It's not as though next time it rains your grass is going to come back to its former glory.  Weeds will, big time.

You are all doing such a great job to stop waste.  

#32 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

When we bought this house, it had a lovely green backyard. Come to find out the sellers just dropped a bunch of sod down without doing it properly. We now have a large yard full of dirt and dust. Rather than put in another wasteful grass lawn, we are going to redo most of it with a huge deck. Won't be cheap but we also won't be contributing to the water problems. 

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#33 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm not sure about the code.  I guess it is a temporary solution if you are waiting to plant something other than lawn once we get rains and cooler weather.  Eventually that brown lawn will turn to dirt. It's not as though next time it rains your grass is going to come back to its former glory.  Weeds will, big time.

You are all doing such a great job to stop waste.  

We stopped watering our back patch of lawn completely. I want to put a couple of tarps over it to try to bake and kill these persistant weeds that pop up all over - they are like little trees that spread by stolons and just won't go away. Then come fall we will rototill, sift rocks out, amend and reseed. Luckily there is only a small patch in the back. If we didnt rent I would loo at putting synthetic turf out there.

#34 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

I was watching the news yesterday and they showed a person out painting the dead grass.

If they can't make money cutting the grass, they can paint it.

They have shown this before but it really doesn't look that bad.

Let the grass die and paint it green.

Wonder if the city codes will allow this?

As I was leaving my soccer game the other day I saw a house across from Kemp that had a lush green lawn. It also had a yard sign with info about a lawn painting company. So they're already out there doing it.

On a related note, I priced artificial turf a few months ago. Unfortunately the stuff is $9 per square foot at the cheap end. It's a brilliant, long term solution for minimizing water waste but far too expensive yet. However, it would be great if new home construction in Folsom included artificial turf - saves not only water but polluting emissions from lawn mowers.  

#35 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

As I was leaving my soccer game the other day I saw a house across from Kemp that had a lush green lawn. It also had a yard sign with info about a lawn painting company. So they're already out there doing it.
On a related note, I priced artificial turf a few months ago. Unfortunately the stuff is $9 per square foot at the cheap end. It's a brilliant, long term solution for minimizing water waste but far too expensive yet. However, it would be great if new home construction in Folsom included artificial turf - saves not only water but polluting emissions from lawn mowers.  

My ex is looking at putting fake turf in the backyard where there is really only a small patch. He still wants the big front yard to be grass because it would then be cost prohibitive. It's a start.

#36 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

We stopped watering our back patch of lawn completely. I want to put a couple of tarps over it to try to bake and kill these persistant weeds that pop up all over - they are like little trees that spread by stolons and just won't go away. Then come fall we will rototill, sift rocks out, amend and reseed. Luckily there is only a small patch in the back. If we didnt rent I would loo at putting synthetic turf out there.

Instead of tarps it is best to use CLEAR plastic sheeting to solarize your lawn ( or any other area) to kill the lawn and all the weeds and other growth. Needs at least 5- 6 weeks of warm weather.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#37 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

My ex is looking at putting fake turf in the backyard where there is really only a small patch. He still wants the big front yard to be grass because it would then be cost prohibitive. It's a start.

The Folsom PACE program, mPower Folsom, does now cover artificial turf projects.

#38 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Instead of tarps it is best to use CLEAR plastic sheeting to solarize your lawn ( or any other area) to kill the lawn and all the weeds and other growth. Needs at least 5- 6 weeks of warm weather.

Hmm. We only have blue and green ones. Don't want to buy more tarps, so we'll just have to see how it helps.

The Folsom PACE program, mPower Folsom, does now cover artificial turf projects.

Thanks, I'll let him know!

#39 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

To avoid running the shower to get it warm enough for us, we installed a chilipepper recirculating pump that pumps the water from the hot tap back into the cold tap until it gets to the right temperature for a shower.  This way, no wasted water. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users