23 replies to this topic

#1 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Just wondering what your experience was/is. . .

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Only the dead ones. Then I ate them. They were delicious.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Deleted

#4 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

owned, as in it was mine....? I guess it was , and it BBQ'ed up real nice.... :2thumbsup:

but I'm thinking that's not what you were trying to find out.

#5 Gigi342

Gigi342

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Mom...
Maybe you should clear up that they would live outside in a coop on the side of the house where there arent any neighbors and they will NOT be eaten
Kay thanks mom See ya in like 2 minutes......

#6 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

I raised chickens at the house I lived in before moving to Folsom.

It was a great experience, we had a dozen of them that we raised from chicks.

As Ducky noted, they should be considered mini rototillers because they will completely destroy a garden in an hour or two, I found that out the hard way.

If you do decide to raise chickens, you will want to build a good chicken coop. It doesn't cost that much if you build it yourself, lots of plans can be found on the internet.

Be sure to research the breed you are getting, there are many different kinds.
It was great getting fresh eggs daily.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#7 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

here's Folsom's ordinance on the subject:

7.04.080 Restrictions in keeping certain livestock and other animals.

C.Turkeys and geese shall not be kept within any zoning district of the city other than agricultural and agricultural combining districts. Additionally, not more than any combination of two chickens, ducks, pigeons and/or rabbits shall be kept as pets within any zoning district of the city other than agricultural or agricultural combining districts, and said animals shall be kept or maintained at least twenty feet from any property line.

D.Nothing herein shall relieve any property owner from complying with any other applicable law concerning the keeping of animals upon property, including, but not limited to, the city's zoning code.

E.Violation of this section may be charged as an infraction or a misdemeanor in the discretion of the prosecuting authority.
[emphasis added]

A gal in our neighborhood tried this as learning experience for her homeschooled kids. In order to comply with the 20 feet from any property line rule, they kept the chicks indoors, in the middle of the living room! Once they grew too big to stay there, they moved the chickens to a home in Placer County, where the keeping of urban chickens is much more favorable (I believe Sac County ordinances are even stricter than Folsom's on this subject).

A former boss of mine had a great experience raising chickens in his backyard in Roseville (Placer County). His kids absolutely loved it!

#8 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

I had chickens as a kid. great experience. Two important things to remember. Don't get more than two. They fight. They are loud. They form a pecking order. And they poop.

On the other hand: mosquitoes are gone! They will heckle snakes. And lizards. And if you only have one or two, the natural fertilzer wont kill your grass.

On the other side of that: The coyotes and bobcats in folsom love Folsom chickens because everyone brings their dogs in at night (lol, kinda funny conssidering the other thread). So a good tip, Provide your biddies a high place to roost, higher than coyotes can jump, and the branch far enough away from the trunk to discourage a a heavy bobcat..

#9 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

They're not pets, they're livestock. They make eggs. Traditionally, you eat them when they stop producing. That's what they're for, not happy cuddles. I can't imagine forming an emotional attachment to a bird. Growing up I had a canary, parakeets, and cockatiels, and felt the same way about them. Like I had something I couldn't understand in a cage for no good reason. Their emotions seem too alien. If you want a pet, get a carnivorous mammal. They can relate.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#10 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

They're not pets, they're livestock. They make eggs. Traditionally, you eat them when they stop producing. That's what they're for, not happy cuddles. I can't imagine forming an emotional attachment to a bird. Growing up I had a canary, parakeets, and cockatiels, and felt the same way about them. Like I had something I couldn't understand in a cage for no good reason. Their emotions seem too alien. If you want a pet, get a carnivorous mammal. They can relate.

Your pet is a delicacy in China

#11 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Your pet is a delicacy in China

They are all things to all people
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#12 Gigi342

Gigi342

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Well then look up silkie chickens.....

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

http://www.gotpetson...y-chicken-0004/

UGLY!! So ugly they are cute.

I wonder if they are blind? How can they see with that hair-do?!

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

On the other hand: mosquitoes are gone! They will heckle snakes. And lizards. And if you only have one or two, the natural fertilzer wont kill your grass.

do you think they would attract rattlesnakes to a yard?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

do you think they would attract rattlesnakes to a yard?

hmm, no. I had chickens that would absolutely go nuts when they see rattlers. On the other hand, the California King Snakes (natural enemy of the rattler) will definitely absorb an entire nest of eggs. For some reason (possibly the constriction threat) chickens will back down from a king snake. I've seen hens surround a rattler and refuse to let it out of their sight and peck it to death (hen suicide).

Gopher snakes really love chicken eggs, (or maybe garden snakes?), Great defense against snakes is too throw Wet moth balls into your yard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users