#31 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the link, mylo.

"Keith said the proposed complex would include a Coach's restaurant – as does the Rocklin center – along with corporate meeting rooms, party rooms and the like. Converting the supermarket into Strikes and Coach's probably will cost $4 million, he said.

But it is the Coach's restaurant, which features live music on the weekends and becomes a 21-and-older facility when food service ends at night, that has raised the hackles of some residents of the adjacent Briggs Ranch neighborhood."

It seems like this is the part that is raising concerns. Is the Strikes in Rocklin similarly situated near a neighborhood and park?

#32 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Jun 9 2008, 02:55 PM) View Post
It seems like this is the part that is raising concerns. Is the Strikes in Rocklin similarly situated near a neighborhood and park?

I don't know the area very well, but Google maps puts it right next to Lone Tree Park and a residential neighbourhood. Assumably as close as the old Ralphs location is to Briggs Ranch. Looks like there's a school right there, too. Ruhkala Elementary School and Rock Creek Elementary School is also nearby. I wonder why they're so close to each other...

http://maps.google.c...e...025663&z=16
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#33 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

We have friends who live right around the corner from Strikes, and the only complaint they ever had was that it's too expensive!

#34 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 9 2008, 02:58 PM) View Post
I don't know the area very well, but Google maps puts it right next to Lone Tree Park and a residential neighbourhood. Assumably as close as the old Ralphs location is to Briggs Ranch. Looks like there's a school right there, too. Ruhkala Elementary School and Rock Creek Elementary School is also nearby. I wonder why they're so close to each other...

http://maps.google.c...e...025663&z=16

That map shows it in the middle of the street, so it's hard to tell the distance from the park and homes. Yahoo can't even find the exact address. When you look at the satellite view it looks like it could be across from the homes with a wide boulevard and cement divider in between. The park is even further down, not adjacent like in Briggs Ranch.

#35 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:51 AM

I have spoken with one of the owners of Strikes. He seemed very nice and encouraged anyone to come down and check out the facilties to see how it is run. He would more than happy to meet with people also. I do plan to go by there in the next few days to see what it is like.

He will keep me up to date on when they might be on the city's or planning commission agenda. I will post it when I know.

I will be supporting this business coming to Folsom.

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#36 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(M.E.G. @ Jun 10 2008, 10:51 AM) View Post
I have spoken with one of the owners of Strikes. He seemed very nice and encouraged anyone to come down and check out the facilties to see how it is run. He would more than happy to meet with people also. I do plan to go by there in the next few days to see what it is like.

He will keep me up to date on when they might be on the city's or planning commission agenda. I will post it when I know.

I will be supporting this business coming to Folsom.

M.E.G.

Will you be going to the after-hours club? Let us know if it has a Powerhouse atmosphere.

Just added this for the heck of it.

This is the crimemapper thing for the area in Rocklin. Looked at the spreadsheet view of 5600 block of Lonetree Blvd. It's District 11 if anyone cares to look. Not sure what other businesses are around there.

http://crimemap.scoo...memap/map.html#

You can do the same for the proposed area for the new Strikes in Folsom. Not nearly as much crime in the same time period. I just entered the 25000 block of Blue Ravine.

#37 harrmill

harrmill

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

I have been to the Strikes in Rocklin a couple times. It is located in the middle of soon-to-be commercial zone - the unruly sprawl that is Fairway/Lonetree in that area. Homes are a good 1/2 mile away by street, perhaps a little closer as the crow flies. I am not too familiar with the proposed location (other than Roma's), but I think there is not direct street access between the neighborhood directly behind the shopping center and the old Ralph's - I could be wrong - but it is not like Strikes will be your next-door neighbor.

As for the facility - it is really nice. I had not bowled in 20+ years and this place blew me away. It is all automated, and even has automated bumpers that rise when it's the little one's turn to keep them out of the gutter. They even have smaller balls for the kids. The place is clean and well kept and will definitely be a great, and welcome, addition to our community.

As for the night-life and drinking aspect - I could not comment. However, if it somehow *did* become a problem, I am sure the business would have trouble with their liquor license, just like every other place in town that serves booze. I would not mind joining a bowling league in town - Rocklin is too far away.

I say, welcome, Strikes, to Folsom!

harrmill

#38 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

I suspect I will be going once as a family and then once after hours. If it is like the Powerhouse is that a good thing or a bad thing tongue.gif

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#39 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(M.E.G. @ Jun 10 2008, 02:48 PM) View Post
I suspect I will be going once as a family and then once after hours. If it is like the Powerhouse is that a good thing or a bad thing tongue.gif
M.E.G.

http://www.tomatopag...d...18906&st=15

You tell me.

#40 sactokngs

sactokngs

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

I'm 100% FOR Strikes. We need more places to take the kids!!! ESPECIALLY with gas prices!!! I've been to Strikes in Rocklin and love it. I believe the whole "alcohol" argument is absurd!!! It's a family entertainment center. Bowling, Video Games, a restaurant with live music. Count me in for support M.E.G.

#41 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(sactokngs @ Jun 10 2008, 03:20 PM) View Post
I'm 100% FOR Strikes. We need more places to take the kids!!! ESPECIALLY with gas prices!!! I've been to Strikes in Rocklin and love it. I believe the whole "alcohol" argument is absurd!!! It's a family entertainment center. Bowling, Video Games, a restaurant with live music. Count me in for support M.E.G.

I'm all for the family entertainment. I wonder if the owners would be willing to forego the after-hours club and just do the restaurant part, even with live music on weekends. I think they wouldn't have any resistance if that were the case.

#42 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Jun 10 2008, 03:46 PM) View Post
I'm all for the family entertainment. I wonder if the owners would be willing to forego the after-hours club and just do the restaurant part, even with live music on weekends. I think they wouldn't have any resistance if that were the case.

And sacrifice 25% of their business?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#43 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 9 2008, 02:12 PM) View Post
best part was the state of the art bowling lanes.

ok, I give up. How is a "state of the art" bowling lane different from one that isn't?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#44 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 10 2008, 03:49 PM) View Post
And sacrifice 25% of their business?

I thought somewhere earlier it was stated that alcohol wasn't a large part of their business so there should be no worries.

#45 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Jun 10 2008, 03:46 PM) View Post

The whole alcohol argument is silly. By the time people leave Purple Place heading towards home they have a LOT more speed built up than if they were leaving the Strikes area drunk!
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users