3 replies to this topic

#1 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:32 AM

Does anyone have recommendations for a camera repair place? I dropped my digital camera-yikes. weirdsmiley.gif

#2 jkc120

jkc120

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Gina99 @ Nov 14 2004, 11:32 AM)
Does anyone have recommendations for a camera repair place? I dropped my digital camera-yikes. weirdsmiley.gif

View Post

I'm not 100% sure they do repairs, but you could try calling Filco in Folsom. If they don't, they may be able to recommend a place to take it. They definitely know cameras there, just not sure if they repair them. You may need to send it in to the manufacturer, as places may not cary parts specific to each brand model.

#3 DougP

DougP

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Gina99 @ Nov 14 2004, 11:32 AM)

View Post

It really depends on what brand of camera it is, and what style of camera it is.

Typically, it's only practical to repair expensive high-end cameras, such as DSLRs, that come from "Camera Companies"... like Canon, Nikon, etc.

Point-and-shoot cameras are expected to be "disposable". Particularly units that are branded from what would typically be considered computer or electronics companies. (Such as HP, Sony, even Kodak)

Some camera makers will, however, repair a camera by sending a refurbished camera to you in exchange for your original camera and a flat "repair fee".

In any event, to answer your question: I'd avoid places that wouldn't be doing the repair themselves. Places such as Ritz, Best Buy, etc. are simply acting as shippers and middlemen inflating your cost.

The most likely place that could actually repair it locally would be Pardee's

Pardees Cameras
3335 El Camino Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95821

However, you're best bet would be to call the support number for the original manufacturor and work directly with them. Canon in particular has a repair facility in southern California that is considered very good.

#4 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for responding. Turns out it would cost $150-300 for the repair yet an upgrade is $225. So I went with the Canon powershot upgrade-more pixels and features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users