#31 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(carnivore @ Oct 6 2008, 12:41 PM) View Post
Just a footnote, for the Month of October they are celebrating Octoberfest every Thursday, Friday and Saturdays. They are having food and drink specials for the celebration. I will get back when I find out when their Big Bash is going to be, then they will have the parking lot blocked off and bring the festivities outside.

Reviews for this place have been such extremes in opposite directions! I read one and can't wait to go try it, and then the next one makes me not want to ever go. What's a German-food-loving girl to do?

#32 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(bellasiempre @ Oct 6 2008, 10:40 AM) View Post
Its a great place. We went there last saturday, and was delicious. The service its not slow at all, is just the in Europe we take time to delight food and drink, without been rush on fast food. Great food, good price and portions. Great service and everybody there are friendly and smiling. Recommended if you want to feel the you are in Germany. Bravo

this review, suspect it, I do
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#33 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Oct 6 2008, 02:51 PM) View Post
this review, suspect it, I do

I had the same thoughts upon reading it, first time poster makes me think it's an employee or owner of HoE, not exactly an unbiased opinion.
I would rather be Backpacking

#34 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE(a little bean @ Oct 6 2008, 02:38 PM) View Post
Reviews for this place have been such extremes in opposite directions! I read one and can't wait to go try it, and then the next one makes me not want to ever go. What's a German-food-loving girl to do?

Try it for yourself and post your review smile.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#35 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Oct 6 2008, 03:41 PM) View Post
Try it for yourself and post your review smile.gif

My wife won't let us go there and I just don't see myself going there by myself.
I would rather be Backpacking

#36 german

german

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:07 AM

I was quite excited when I learned that there was a restaurant serving German meals in Folsom. I'm German and I really enjoy a good German meal once in a while. We decided to go last weekend for late lunch/early dinner...
Both of us ordered Roladen, one meal with potatoes and one with dumplings. My review is strictly based on the quality of the food, not about the ambience, service etc..
Being that Roladen is my favorite food, I know what they should taste like. Unfortunately I must say that this meal was the worst meal I have had in a long time. The flavor of the meat was awful and the combination of flavors of the sides was a disaster. The dumplings where uneatable. I even tried their "famous" apple strudel and was not surprised that it didn't resemble an apple strudel in any means... Do you really have to hide the strudel under a mountain of wipped cream?
I *REALLY* wanted this place to be great because we need a good German restaurant in the area.
Both of us got sick afterwards, following diarrhea and nausea for the rest of the day.
Out of 10 stars (where 1 is the lowest and 10 the highest) I give "Heart of Europe" one star for trying.
I will not give them a 2nd chance simply because I don't want to spend another day sick and miserable. With the quality of food being this bad I can not see them staying in business for long.

#37 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(a little bean @ Oct 6 2008, 02:38 PM) View Post

I agree, and with today's latest review the opposite ends keep getting farther and farther apart.

It's odd to hear such mixed reviews about a place. Makes me wonder if some of their dishes are not so good or maybe they were having a bad night or ?

Now since I've also heard some good reviews about this place, some from people I know, who's opinions I trust, I think it's worth checking into this further and I'm going to have to plan on going over there and doing a review soon.

it's time for another recon mission...

odd though, I tried to look at their website menu, but the site is down...

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#38 Brightside

Brightside

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

Now that it's colder out, I'll just be ordering my German/Polish food from back east and cooking it myself to get my fix. My husband and I were there this past weekend. Since I know how hard it is for a small business these days, I won't go into why we won't return. But I think I will be sending them a copy of one of my cookbooks with a note on which dishes to make better... letseat.gif

#39 carnivore

carnivore

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:cooking, eating, restaurant touring

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(german @ Oct 13 2008, 09:07 AM) View Post
I was quite excited when I learned that there was a restaurant serving German meals in Folsom. I'm German and I really enjoy a good German meal once in a while. We decided to go last weekend for late lunch/early dinner...
Both of us ordered Roladen, one meal with potatoes and one with dumplings. My review is strictly based on the quality of the food, not about the ambience, service etc..
Being that Roladen is my favorite food, I know what they should taste like. Unfortunately I must say that this meal was the worst meal I have had in a long time. The flavor of the meat was awful and the combination of flavors of the sides was a disaster. The dumplings where uneatable. I even tried their "famous" apple strudel and was not surprised that it didn't resemble an apple strudel in any means... Do you really have to hide the strudel under a mountain of wipped cream?
I *REALLY* wanted this place to be great because we need a good German restaurant in the area.
Both of us got sick afterwards, following diarrhea and nausea for the rest of the day.
Out of 10 stars (where 1 is the lowest and 10 the highest) I give "Heart of Europe" one star for trying.
I will not give them a 2nd chance simply because I don't want to spend another day sick and miserable. With the quality of food being this bad I can not see them staying in business for long.
I must say that I have a real problem with this dissertation, a first time time poster with an absolute negative review of a restaurant and after all of that they get sick ? holy cow !! geesh!! Oh and by the way, if you are a true German as stated the proper spelling of the dinner you had is "rouladen" not roladen.. sorry for the edification....

#40 carnivore

carnivore

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

Oh, by the way after that horrible post, just to let you all know, The Hear of Europe is have their big Octoberfest bash this week-end with food and drink specials and music in the parking lot etc: you might want to check it out .....

#41 german

german

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(carnivore @ Oct 15 2008, 10:22 PM) View Post
I must say that I have a real problem with this dissertation, a first time time poster with an absolute negative review of a restaurant and after all of that they get sick ? holy cow !! geesh!! Oh and by the way, if you are a true German as stated the proper spelling of the dinner you had is "rouladen" not roladen.. sorry for the edification....

I believe you can spell it either Roladen or Rouladen... Nevertheless, their "Rouladen" were un-eatable. I was super exited when I learned about the restaurant. After Cafe Vienna in West Sacramento closed down we really needed a new German restaurant in this area. So, trust me, I was extremely disappointed when I didn't like the food *and* got sick afterwards. Perhaps I should have just ordered the Schnitzel or something easy like that, but the Rouladen was just something I was craving... I wish "Heart of Europe" success, but based on my experience I doubt many German food lovers will return to their restaurant. And keep in mind, my taste might be completely different than yours and as someone had already mentioned the reviews of this restaurant are either really bad or really good and there seems to be no happy medium. Have you 'carnivore' actually been at "Heart of Europe"? I have not seen your review on this board, yet.

#42 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

My husband went there with friends when I was out of town last month and loved it, so he took me there on my birthday with the same friends. I loved it and will definitely go back!

We started with the Bavarian Snack, which is meatloaf, eggs, and salad, and potato pancakes. All were yummy. For dinner I had the Rouladen with the roasted potatoes, which are to die for--very garlicy! They also accidentally brought me Spatzl, which is the dumplings. Everyone else liked them, but I was kind of luke warm about them. It also came with red cabbage, which I liked. We had the apple struedel for desert and I liked that, too. The service was friendly and good.

So, I'm surprised at the wildly varying reviews, but I'll be going back.

#43 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(twnkltoz @ Oct 22 2008, 09:45 AM) View Post
My husband went there with friends when I was out of town last month and loved it, so he took me there on my birthday with the same friends. I loved it and will definitely go back!

We started with the Bavarian Snack, which is meatloaf, eggs, and salad, and potato pancakes. All were yummy. For dinner I had the Rouladen with the roasted potatoes, which are to die for--very garlicy! They also accidentally brought me Spatzl, which is the dumplings. Everyone else liked them, but I was kind of luke warm about them. It also came with red cabbage, which I liked. We had the apple struedel for desert and I liked that, too. The service was friendly and good.

So, I'm surprised at the wildly varying reviews, but I'll be going back.

Good to hear!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#44 Europa

Europa

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

If you've never actually lived in Europe, then this restaurant is for you. I mean really, what's the difference? You're probably used to eating slop anyway.

#45 carnivore

carnivore

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(german @ Oct 20 2008, 01:14 PM) View Post
I believe you can spell it either Roladen or Rouladen... Nevertheless, their "Rouladen" were un-eatable. I was super exited when I learned about the restaurant. After Cafe Vienna in West Sacramento closed down we really needed a new German restaurant in this area. So, trust me, I was extremely disappointed when I didn't like the food *and* got sick afterwards. Perhaps I should have just ordered the Schnitzel or something easy like that, but the Rouladen was just something I was craving... I wish "Heart of Europe" success, but based on my experience I doubt many German food lovers will return to their restaurant. And keep in mind, my taste might be completely different than yours and as someone had already mentioned the reviews of this restaurant are either really bad or really good and there seems to be no happy medium. Have you 'carnivore' actually been at "Heart of Europe"? I have not seen your review on this board, yet.

I have eaten at the Heart since it's opening last November, I know every person that has or does work there. A group of us meet every Sunday for beers and snacks. I usually don't write reviews about places I frequent as that might appear to be biased. I Have eaten at a large number of Folsom restaurants and have developed a list of the ones I enjoy and don't frequent ones that do not suit my tastes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users