#46 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Rickykicks @ Mar 8 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In regards to the original post, I am very glad to see so many people on here considering sports for their children and people who have seen the benefits of having your children in after school athletic activities.

While after school sports sometimes brings out the best in kids, I've also witnessed it bring out the worst in parents.
I would rather be Backpacking

#47 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:I like everything from hiking in the foothills to playing world of warcraft on my laptop. I've a conservative my nature and I fully support the brave men and woman serving overseas in our great military, may god bring them home safe! <br /><br />I work at The Hartford Insurance Agency, Workers Comp Division and I go to school at Folsom Lake College and study Anthropology.

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 8 2010, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While after school sports sometimes brings out the best in kids, I've also witnessed it bring out the worst in parents.

I do remember father's picking fights in little leauge about play time and other subjects. Anybody see the episode of south park where Stan's dad picked fights at baseball games?
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
Robert A. Heinlein

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

Never insult anyone by accident.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

#48 Joqui

Joqui

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Yoga, Parenting, Reading, Politics

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

I feel that the lack of activities (sports included) had a negative affect on my life. Lack of stamina, lack of knowing how to compete, lack of team work, lack of motivation to excercise, etc. Of course these are things as an adult I am working on now, but if I had the foundation when I was younger I think these would have come on a lot easier... I have never met an adult that has said "I regret playing sports as a child"... I have met plenty of adults that say "If only I had joined a sports activity...."

I don't want that for my children, I don't want them to regret not doing anything worth their time... so they will be doing sports.. and some other types of activities.

#49 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Joqui @ Mar 18 2010, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel that the lack of activities (sports included) had a negative affect on my life. Lack of stamina, lack of knowing how to compete, lack of team work, lack of motivation to excercise, etc. Of course these are things as an adult I am working on now, but if I had the foundation when I was younger I think these would have come on a lot easier... I have never met an adult that has said "I regret playing sports as a child"... I have met plenty of adults that say "If only I had joined a sports activity...."

I don't want that for my children, I don't want them to regret not doing anything worth their time... so they will be doing sports.. and some other types of activities.

I hope thats because they want to and not because you want them to.

Not much worse in my mind than forcing a child to do something that is supposed to be done for fun, but it isn't fun for them. I know I really hated PE in junior high. Probably the worst period of my life was PE in junior high. There, now you've heard an adult say they regretted playing sports as a child.

#50 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 18 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not much worse in my mind than forcing a child to do something that is supposed to be done for fun, but it isn't fun for them. I know I really hated PE in junior high. Probably the worst period of my life was PE in junior high. There, now you've heard an adult say they regretted playing sports as a child.

PE is not playing sports...

#51 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Mar 18 2010, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PE is not playing sports...

When PE constitutes football, soccer, basketball, & baseball, care to explain how that isn't playing sports?

#52 Joqui

Joqui

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Yoga, Parenting, Reading, Politics

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

I will most def. 'make' them get into sports. I will introduce them to numerous sports and out of that they will have to play at least one semester of the sport. From there, they can decide if they like that particular sport or not.
I HATED P.E. (which btw is not playing sports it's just an introduction to skills of different sports)... but I wish now that my mom or someone in my family had made me do 'something' ...
My son is doing Taekwondo... the first 2 months he hated it, told me that he did not want to go back... now he's advanced in it and loves it... so you see, unless you make them try they will not really know if they like it or not. Come June when his semester is over I will ask him again, do you WANT to do this or would you like to try something else? we can always come back to this later...
So yes, I will put them in it because I want them in it but they will only remain in a particular sport if they want to do it and if they enjoy it

#53 Ogre of 4

Ogre of 4

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 18 2010, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get your argument but... most kids don't know what they like until they have tried it.

I totally agree with Joqui:
"I will most def. 'make' them get into sports. I will introduce them to numerous sports and out of that they will have to play at least one semester of the sport. From there, they can decide if they like that particular sport or not. "

We have done the same thing. My boy, unlike me, is a natural athlete but extremely shy. He said no to everything. He's so afraid of not knowing the rules and doing something wrong. A few years ago we signed him up for soccer and he was mad! After that first practice you couldn't tear the soccer ball out of his hands (or feet) biggrin.gif .

Since then it's the same with basketball, flag football, swim team and now baseball. He drops his video game controller the instant I tell him to grab his glove and meet me outside. Eventually he will settle on one or two and they will be HIS choice.

The point is some parents will go overboard and you can tell who they are on the sidelines. But most of us want the kids to have fun while learning valuable life skills they will take into the adulthood.

And no, P E is not a sport. biggrin.gif
God, if I can’t have what I want, let me want what I have.

#54 Vent Care

Vent Care

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Family, comunity, and work

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

I never remember my mom asking if I wanted to do sports growing up, it just happened. I did baseball for three years (most of the time on the bench) Basketball for 1 year Jr. high (More time on the bench) Soccer for 6 years (loved it) Wrestling for 4 years (loved it and was good) Football for 6 years (was pretty good and gave 100%) Then found track in the later part of high school and found out I was a gifted thrower in the field events and made it to college with track.
Now that I have three daughters I see the importance of trying different sports/activities. Each one of my girls is very different. The oldest plays Soccer at all levels and for Vista. She also plays a cello and is equally gifted. The Middle is the dancer and has done comp. dance for the last 4 years. She is also stating track and throwing like her old man in Jr. High. She plays in the band at school. The youngest wants everything and I mean everything. This will be her first year that she will be old enough to participate in team sports. We did cheer, basketball, T ball with the girls, and they tried, but just did not like it to much so they move on.
For me it is about being apart of a team. Figuring out what you are good at, and excepting the things you are not (basketball). My family is quite unique because we usually take up the most cheering section. It is not unusual for both of us, my parents, in-laws, a few aunts or uncles, and close friends to be at every event. We are always there to support them, and pick them up when they did not do so good. It has helped them with there self esteem. They realize that you can't always win, but you can always try your hardest. We have gone through some great coaches, and some not so good coaches. This has also been a good lesson of learning to adapt to different people for my girls.
Am I in favor of putting children in different sports, Yes. Do I define sports as football, soccer, baseball, etc.. No. Anything that the kids can do on a team or group activity can be positive. Weather it is traditional sports teams, dance, cheer, taekwondo, boy/girl scouts, or a drama club.

Funniest thing I ever heard a coach tell an over zealous mom in the stands was when my girls tried cheer leading. Coach looked at one of the moms and in a very serious loud voice told her " You are a Cheer watcher not the Cheer Leader ".

Greg
Vent Care
Greg
Dryer Vent Care 987-8368
There Is A Hidden Fire Hazard In Your Home! Does your dryer take longer to dry than it used to? Have you ever had the dryer vent cleaned lately? Give us a chance to show you how to make your electricity bill go down as well as reduce your chances of a major fire. Visit My Website www.dryerventcare.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users