- - - - -

Folsom Hills Vs Blanche

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

I understand that doubt. I don't entirely trust studies either. Just out of curiosity, did you also take advantage of any music classes? I did both the foreign language and played violin and piano and was a straight A student. I never excelled in either foreign language or music, but I've never been sorry I took those classes.

If a program is available why not take advantage of it if it will help your child to be well-rounded.

I was almost a straight A student for all four years and also took music and even achieved the highest award in music possible at graduation for my work in music, would have been valedictorian if it wasn't for the D I got in French studies. I was just not into it. Felt it was useless but since it was mandatory, had to take it. My beef is that language classes should be an elective or pushed to college, not be made mandatory in high school. And for the asshats that think I'm anti-spanish, this is about ALL language classes, not just spanish.

#32 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'm wondering if we should all be brushing up on our Mandarin dialects?

#33 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

I'm wondering if we should all be brushing up on our Mandarin dialects?

Should probably learn a mix of both Mandarin and Cantonese

#34 Logan

Logan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

I understand that doubt. I don't entirely trust studies either. Just out of curiosity, did you also take advantage of any music classes? I did both the foreign language and played violin and piano and was a straight A student. I never excelled in either foreign language or music, but I've never been sorry I took those classes.

If a program is available why not take advantage of it if it will help your child to be well-rounded.

Played the trumpet 6-8 grades

#35 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Played the trumpet 6-8 grades

I was wondering just because they say the same thing about higher testing scores for music students.

#36 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

I was almost a straight A student for all four years and also took music and even achieved the highest award in music possible at graduation for my work in music, would have been valedictorian if it wasn't for the D I got in French studies. I was just not into it. Felt it was useless but since it was mandatory, had to take it. My beef is that language classes should be an elective or pushed to college, not be made mandatory in high school. And for the asshats that think I'm anti-spanish, this is about ALL language classes, not just spanish.

I understand where you're coming from. I felt the same way about all girls being forced to take home ec. My mother had already taught me how to cook and sew and stretch a dollar.

#37 Logan

Logan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

I was wondering just because they say the same thing about higher testing scores for music students.

I was first string trumpet in band, but if anything, I would say my natural math skills helped my musical abilities more than my music playing helped my math. God knows I can't sing on key. i can even ruin "Happy Birthday to you". :lol:

#38 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Chris V- half of the Western World. I could care less what you believe, but I can tell you don't want to believe the reality of America!

Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#39 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

[mod edit- name calling]math is no fun for a lot of kids but does it mean you shouldn't learn it? Language is best learned at a very young age and by the time you are in high school it's too late to be fluent unless yu speak it daily, but it doesn't mean yu shouldn't learn it. I'm perfectly fine for having English as a national standard but there should also be mandated second language for the benefit it has'for the majority later in life.
Part of a global economy is the fact that many high tech jobs are in S America and Asia. If you want the highest
Paying jobs you may have to travel. It's the future.

#40 Logan

Logan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

[mod edit- name calling]math is no fun for a lot of kids but does it mean you shouldn't learn it? Language is best learned at a very young age and by the time you are in high school it's too late to be fluent unless yu speak it daily, but it doesn't mean yu shouldn't learn it. I'm perfectly fine for having English as a national standard but there should also be mandated second language for the benefit it has'for the majority later in life.
Part of a global economy is the fact that many high tech jobs are in S America and Asia. If you want the highest

I pull in a good salary, and the foreign business travel I've had to do, guess what, everyone else spoke english. Korea, Japan, Quebec, Finland, Sweden, France, & Germany. Not once has my spanish helped me other than being able to properly pronounce half the cities and streets in CA, OK half is an exageration, but my business use for spanish is nil. But hey, I know what "El Pollo Loco" means without watching the commercials and if I choose to, I can roll my R's. But don't tell me you need a foreign language to be successful in life because that just means tu es loco en la cabasa.

#41 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Chris V- half of the Western World. I could care less what you believe, but I can tell you don't want to believe the reality of America!

That was not what you originally stated. I like how because I made light of your mistake, again, you say you can tell I don't want to believe the reality of America. How do you even know what I believe, or am I some stupid cracker like you've said in the past.

#42 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

(Mod Edit - Name calling] math is no fun for a lot of kids but does it mean you shouldn't learn it? Language is best learned at a very young age and by the time you are in high school it's too late to be fluent unless yu speak it daily, but it doesn't mean yu shouldn't learn it. I'm perfectly fine for having English as a national standard but there should also be mandated second language for the benefit it has'for the majority later in life.

Hi tech jobs in South America? Ummmm, no not really. Maybe call centers and repetitive jobs with English speaking managers. Asia yes, but not a whole lot of Spanish speaking folks in those regions, they speak English all day long. Your blanket statements fail once again.

#43 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Is your reality that Mexican's are taking over the world?

#44 ceeanada

ceeanada

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Back to the question of Folsom Hills vs Blanche I would have to say that 10 years ago my son attended Blanche for a couple of years and I was not satisfied with what he was learning.We did a intra-district transfer to send my son to Folsom Hills and he was certainly not the smartest in class anymore. Within the last 3 years they did get a new principal who has breathed new life into the school and gotten more community involvement. My youngest two children currently attend Blanche and I wouldn't transfer them even if Folsom Hill's learning environment is higher performing (API scores, etc).

The biggest difference I saw with Blanche vs Folsom Hills was that there were less underperforming students at Folsom Hills. Underperforming students naturally require more of the teacher's time and this brings down the overall average of the class's performance. Also the higher number of parents volunteering at Folsom Hills allowed the teachers to the parent resources to work one on one with the students who needed the help and left the teacher to concentrate on the class.

#45 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Wow, Chris and Nomad, try traveling around the world. If you have the education and are bilingual your best prospects are S America and Asia. It's too bad you are so out of the loop. Also, if you are a Dr. and cn speak Spanish or Chinese in the USA you are like gold. My brother is a dentist in la and makes over $280, 000 a year and he only owns a third of the practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users