Photo
- - - - -

Ernie Sheldon Park Soccer Field Closure?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 monstermovie

monstermovie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

Does anyone know why the soccer field at Ernie Sheldon Park is closed and when it might re-open? A great PR move by City of Folsom would be to post something on the fencing explaining why it's closed and how long till it's back open. For now, without any info, people are just knocking the fencing down and playing in the field.

#2 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Grass re-seeding most likely reason. A fence typically means STAY OFF!

#3 monstermovie

monstermovie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

From Tim O'Shea, Park Maintenance Supervisor for City of Folsom:

"Thank you for your inquiry into the work being done on the Sheldon soccer field. With the financial help of the Folsom Soccer club the field is being renovated. Aeration, overseeding and topdressing work has been performed. We are in the germination phase of the renovation and the field will be open about mid to late July. I apologize for the signs not being up. I will have my staff put those out there tomorrow."

#4 FiscalConservative

FiscalConservative

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Does anyone know why the soccer field at Ernie Sheldon Park is closed and when it might re-open? A great PR move by City of Folsom would be to post something on the fencing explaining why it's closed and how long till it's back open. For now, without any info, people are just knocking the fencing down and playing in the field.

Sheldon has a park named after him? Why? The taxpayer paid for that and all of the parks in Folsom.

#5 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

Sheldon has a park named after him? Why? The taxpayer paid for that and all of the parks in Folsom.

Sheldon earned it thru his hard work and dedication to our city and the parks. He has done more for our city then any other city council person.

#6 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

Many Folsom residents and the City Council felt Ernie deserved recognition for his contributions to the parks and youth of Folsom. Here is an excerpt from his bio on the city’s website:

Ernie served on the City’s Parks and Recreation Commission for two decades. During that time he directly participated in building 45 parks and recreation facilities. He wrote Folsom’s first Parks Master Plan, and was instrumental in establishing the Folsom Aquatic Center, Folsom Sports Complex and Senior and Arts Center.

A retired Air Force officer, Ernie led the effort to expand Folsom’s Veterans Day Parade from 23 participants to more than 1400. He also spearheaded planning, design and construction of the Veterans Memorial behind the library.

Ernie has served as Executive Director of the Folsom Athletic Association for the past 20 years. In that role, he helped raise $1 million for Folsom recreational activities and facilities and established the Youth Assistance Scholarship Fund which has provided $80,000 in scholarships. Ernie was also instrumental in setting up the Lembi Park snack bar concession stand that has raised more than $75,000 for youth groups.
"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#7 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

Because he deserves it. You need to study the history of Folsom Parks.

#8 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

From Tim O'Shea, Park Maintenance Supervisor for City of Folsom:

"Thank you for your inquiry into the work being done on the Sheldon soccer field. With the financial help of the Folsom Soccer club the field is being renovated. Aeration, overseeding and topdressing work has been performed. We are in the germination phase of the renovation and the field will be open about mid to late July. I apologize for the signs not being up. I will have my staff put those out there tomorrow."

Ed Mitchell Park soccer fields are also being renovated this year. The field renovations are a partnership between Folsom Soccer Club and City of Folsom to help restore soccer fields throught Folsom. It was started in 2011 with all 3 Lembi fields being renovated and offline until early July. When you get a chance, go out to Lembi and you will see the results of all the renovations. Next year Davies, Handy and Kemp 4 will be renovated. The following year the rotation start over with Lembi Park. Yes it is an inconvenience to have a park fenced off for 3 months, but its necessary to ensure the health and longevity of the field and you can be sure that the end result will be a much more beautiful field and park for all to enjoy.

#9 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

Sheldon earned it thru his hard work and dedication to our city and the parks. He has done more for our city then any other city council person.

I challenge you to find anyone in the history of Folsom who has done more for youth sports in this town. The great part about this is that they didn't wait until he died to honor him with a park. He's truly a great guy and over the years he's stood up to the city when they wanted to cut many of our sports programs for kids.

-Robert

#10 FiscalConservative

FiscalConservative

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

I challenge you to find anyone in the history of Folsom who has done more for youth sports in this town. The great part about this is that they didn't wait until he died to honor him with a park. He's truly a great guy and over the years he's stood up to the city when they wanted to cut many of our sports programs for kids.

-Robert

Many like you don't understand the role of Government and tax dollars. The priorities should be on public safety and infrastructure. It is not the role of Government to provide entertainment of any kind; including sports.

I understand that the reason why entertainment takes a priority over public safety is because Folsom remains a family oriented City and the sports activists ensure the excessive funding is there for their sports facilities. In the meantime the elderly hope that the police will come if they are robbed, emergency services will be there if they fall, and someone will come to save their house if it catches fire.

#11 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Many like you don't understand the role of Government and tax dollars. The priorities should be on public safety and infrastructure. It is not the role of Government to provide entertainment of any kind; including sports.

I understand that the reason why entertainment takes a priority over public safety is because Folsom remains a family oriented City and the sports activists ensure the excessive funding is there for their sports facilities. In the meantime the elderly hope that the police will come if they are robbed, emergency services will be there if they fall, and someone will come to save their house if it catches fire.

This is a stretch if I've ever heard one. Can you site an example of when an elderly person was sitting there waiting for police or fire support? Absurd statement.

#12 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

This is a stretch if I've ever heard one. Can you site an example of when an elderly person was sitting there waiting for police or fire support?

Absurd statement.

^ what he said. +100

#13 apeman45

apeman45

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

So parks aren't infrastructure? What world do you live in? They are available for everyone, even those who don't play sports. I am in a park almost everyday here in Folsom. Take away the youth sports and see how much the crime rate goes up. You need to do your homework as to where this "excessive" funding comes from. The parks are built for everyone. These sports renovations are usually paid for by the sports organizations and the money for that does not come out of the city funds.

I challenge you to find a city with better police and fire protection. You call the police in Folsom and they show up at your door for the most minor problem. In other cities they don't come unless a murder is in progress. I was robbed in Antelope and the police wouldn't even come to my house. They told me to go to their website and file a report there so I could file a claim with my insurance company.

Maybe we should rename Sheldon park government facility number 57. Ernie Sheldon worked a lifetime to earn that park name. He didn't ask for the park to be named after him. Your local government did that. You'll have to run for office to change that. How about being part of the solution for a change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users