72 replies to this topic

#16 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

Where is the section 8 housing in Empire Ranch?

#17 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Where is the section 8 housing in Empire Ranch?

I assume they are referring to the Serenade senior apartments at Golf Links Drive and East Natoma St.  It's being rezoned to be a three-story building instead of I believe what was a small retail center.  I'm not entirely sure if there will be Section 8 housing within the project, though.

There is also a Facebook page and petition to stop that project.

#18 LexingtonRez

LexingtonRez

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

Here is a telegraph article on the project.  The fact that its Section 8 isn't being widely publicized, big surprise. http://www.folsomtel...ses-stir-folsom

Note this line in the article "rents would be based on income"  That's Section 8.

Here is the Facebook page for that one: https://www.facebook...576223589056150

#19 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Here is a telegraph article on the project.  The fact that its Section 8 isn't being widely publicized, big surprise. http://www.folsomtel...ses-stir-folsom

Note this line in the article "rents would be based on income"  That's Section 8.

Here is the Facebook page for that one: https://www.facebook...576223589056150

There are senior housing units on Creekside that are also "rents based on income."  I didn't see anyone up in arms about that.

Seniors live on fixed incomes and don't have much money, especially with inflation.  Doesn't make them bad people. The only drawback I see to the Serenade project is if it doesn't have elevators.  I don't know many seniors that would enjoy going up and down three flights of stairs.  

Another thought:  Frankly, another reason I'd favor this type of project over another retail center (with most likely empty storefronts) is it might help Empire Ranch get its own fire station.  Not to be a ghoul, but the elderly require more emergency responses.

#20 LexingtonRez

LexingtonRez

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

I never said or even implied they would be bad people.  Its bare dirt, there's no one living there so its impossible to make character assessments of anyone who might live there.  We will all eventually be seniors living on fixed incomes, so that's not the point. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you, me and most importantly the people who live in the immediate vicinity.  This is my point in all this-the nearby residents should have a voice in the decisions, which is why I'm trying to make people aware.  I just don't understand the mentality that people shouldn't have a say in the new structures being forced upon them, sometimes literally right in their back yards, especially when the primary beneficiaries are the developers.  This to me, by the way, is a big difference between this and the Creekside complex--they aren't right in the middle of a single family neighborhood.

In addition, let's not overlook that they are 3 STORIES TALL.  I for one would not like a 3-story development in my back yard.  Why are they proposing 3 stories over 2 or even 1?  I can tell you its not for the benefit of the residents who might live there, its because they don't like the financials that come along with the commercial development or a 2 story development.  If its such an asset to the neighborhood why was it not constructed before all the homes were built and sold in Empire Ranch/Parkway?

I just have a hard time believing anyone has driven by the corner of East Natoma and Golf Links and thought to themselves "You know what this corner really needs?  A 3-story apartment complex."

So, in summary, here are two developments that I am personally quite opposed to.  If you share my views I encourage you to get involved.  Pass out flyers, sign petitions, write to the city planners and the city council.  It takes involvement from the entire community to effect change--silence is implied consent.  If you agree with them, then by all means write letters in support--you are entitled to that opinion.  I personally do not like the direction we are generally headed with respect to land use planning in the city and have chosen to get involved.  I challenge others to do the same.

https://www.facebook...576223589056150

https://www.facebook...pParkwayVillage

#21 Bear

Bear

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

We have until end of day Nov 20 to comment on this report:

https://www.dropbox.... 10-21-2013.pdf

After that we may continue sending general comments to Steve Banks until the day of the rescheduled meeting on Dec 18.

This is an 8 MB file so it couldn't be attached here.

#22 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

The trouble with those types of justifications is that they are highly idealistic and not fact-based.  Therefore, they can be used to justify almost anything.  By that line of reasoning, we should bulldoze every bit of open space and fill it with multi story housing.

The truth is we have no idea where people will live and work.  For all we know mom and dad's work will be further away living here than before.  As of the 2010 census there were 24,951 households in Folsom.  So, I'm pretty sure 56 additional households (0.2%) won't even move the needle for the small mom and pop businesses.

Here's what we do know:

-There are currently about 550 homes that use Silberhorn as a primary ingress/egress street.  So, 56 homes represents a 10% increase on an already over-capacity residential street.  10% may not seem like a large increase--unless you happen to be the one living on that street, but why should they matter?

-The housing being proposed and its large paved parking lots and bright lighting absolutely does not fit in with the character and design of a single family home neighborhood.  Do you notice that these types of projects are always done after the developers have completed selling the new homes in the subdivision?  They're done with it at that point and just want to squeeze the last bits of profits out of the development.

-The only reason the city is looking to make this zoning variance is to make the lot more profitable for the developer-let's not kid ourselves.  It was zoned single family, in a single family neighborhood and that's what they should be forced to build--or nothing at all, that's fine too.  Their profitability on that lot is not our problem.

So, between this, the 3-story Section 8 subsidized apartment complex in Empire Ranch (conveniently only after all the homes had been sold), and the general trend toward Bay Area housing density in every new development, frankly I've had it.  I can only imagine what South of 50 will end up like.  If I wanted Bay Area housing density I'd move to the Bay Area.

snort...

ha ha ha... I really think you are overly exaggerating if you are gonna call Silberhorn over capacity. The area is fine. Frankly your rant almost sounds classist. And I don't mean that in terms of classical music. 

But-hey- I have no bone in this. sai la vie

#23 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm not familiar with the location and therefore don't have a knowledgeable opinion about htis.  But I think those who are calling LexingtonRez "classist" etc. are over the line.  I think we can all understand that people might not want their immediate neighborhood to instantly double or triple in density.  I would certainly be upset if the mini-park down the street from me suddenly became zoned for an in-fill apartment building. 

#24 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm not familiar with the location and therefore don't have a knowledgeable opinion about htis.  But I think those who are calling LexingtonRez "classist" etc. are over the line.  I think we can all understand that people might not want their immediate neighborhood to instantly double or triple in density.  I would certainly be upset if the mini-park down the street from me suddenly became zoned for an in-fill apartment building. 

I won't call them names.  I understand where they are coming from and actually agree it is upsetting that things are being rezoned willy-nilly, but it's not just happening in Empire Ranch.  It's been happening for a long time all over town.   I was just trying to give some perspective as one who has watched the building, building, building for three decades and has had the commute to the freeway get lengthier and lengthier because of added commuters, stop signs, and traffic signals; who watches our Central District residential streets being changed into "feeder" streets to be used as cut-through freeways, and as one who lives between actual Section 8, not just affordable, multi-housing developments. I just don't find these projects all that horrible.  It seems to me that whenever such a project gets proposed for one of the more affluent areas they want to try and steer it to a more "suitable" part of town.  The city is required to provide affordable housing.  I don't think it's a good idea to lump it all into one area.

Also, the building or not building of the senior apartments doesn't just affect the Empire Ranch residents.  If it isn't built, it affects all the Folsomites that might need that type of housing.  I don't blame the residents for trying to have a voice.  They should.   I won't sign the petition, nor will I rally for the developers.  Just putting in my two cents.

#25 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

snort...

ha ha ha... I really think you are overly exaggerating if you are gonna call Silberhorn over capacity. The area is fine. Frankly your rant almost sounds classist. And I don't mean that in terms of classical music. 

No horse in the race but a jab anyways. Easy to do if your house did (or still does) have wheels. But hey that's a way to live too.

#26 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

My comment wasn't directed to you, ducky. Your comments are thoughtful and fair.

#27 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

My comment wasn't directed to you, ducky. Your comments are thoughtful and fair.

Thanks.  As are yours, bordercolliefan.

#28 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

snort...

C'est la vie

#29 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

I'm trying to remember which city council members had their campaign signs on those lots last November. I think it was Miklos and Starsky.

#30 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

I just don't understand the mentality that people shouldn't have a say in the new structures being forced upon them, sometimes literally right in their back yards, especially when the primary beneficiaries are the developers. 

In addition, let's not overlook that they are 3 STORIES TALL.  I for one would not like a 3-story development in my back yard.  Why are they proposing 3 stories over 2 or even 1?  I can tell you its not for the benefit of the residents who might live there, its because they don't like the financials that come along with the commercial development or a 2 story development.  If its such an asset to the neighborhood why was it not constructed before all the homes were built and sold in Empire Ranch/Parkway?

The first paragraph really struck me, especially after reading the Telegraph article. Basically the city doesn't have to change the zoning in order to change how the the land is used. That is somewhat alarming. I think the way to handle this is exactly what you are doing, getting the word out, signing petitions. heck, maybe one of you can run for a city seat.

OTOH, do you really think you can change/stop this? Has any concerned Folsom citizen ever been able to stop a development such as this? IDK, I don't have this history here that some of the rest of you do. The Telegraph article said the city was listening, but do you think that they really are, or just giving lip service? since when do developers care about the established citizenry? Just asking....

I do have to admit that once they start building in my neighborhood again, I won't be happy, and I will probably join in the protests.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users