10 replies to this topic

#1 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

Two Republican candidates vying for their party's nomination in the race to represent the sprawling 4th Congressional District will face each other in a forum Wednesday night in Orangevale.

The candidates -- veteran state Sen. Tom McClintock and former Sacramento-area Rep. Doug Ose -- are the leading Republican contenders for the seat held by retiring Rep. John Doolittle.

They meet at 6:30 p.m. in the Orangevale Community Center, 6826 Hazel Ave., in a forum sponsored by the Sunrise Area Republican Club.

http://www.sacbee.co...ory/901553.html

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

Looks like they finally got the counting finished and McClintock has won.

Tom McClintock for Congress
Great Victory ... Thank You!

Butte County took a little longer to come in than we had expected, but it was worth the wait. The count is now complete with the possible exception of a handful of votes in El Dorado County and the election result stands at: McClintock 185,615 and Brown at 183,840.

The lead of 1,775 votes is a margin of victory that puts us well outside the possibility of a recount changing the outcome. To put it in perspective, it is more than twice the margin by which I lost the race for State Controller in 2002.

The numbers came in a little late to hold a press conference today but I expect to have a formal statement at our Congressional transition office in Roseville on Monday.

In the meantime, I can only reflect on the fact that I will never be able adequately to thank all those who so selflessly volunteered their time and resources to bring us to this moment. It is appropriate that the tally should be completed on the eve of Thanksgiving Day - it is a reminder of how much I owe to all those who rallied to the cause and to the voters of the fourth Congressional District. I am well aware of the trust that has been placed in me and I will do everything I can to be worthy of it.

I want also to congratulate Charlie Brown and his supporters on waging one of the most hard-fought campaigns I have ever faced. There can be no doubt of the sincerity of their views or the dedication with which they pursued them. I know from personal experience how difficult it is to lose a close race, and I hope it is a consolation for them to know that they made a truly superb effort.

I will have much more to say formally on Monday, but for now please accept my sincere thanks for all of the sacrifices that have been made on behalf of my candidacy.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Nov 26 2008, 09:21 PM) View Post
Looks like they finally got the counting finished and McClintock has won.
Tom McClintock for Congress
Great Victory ... Thank You!

Butte County took a little longer to come in than we had expected, but it was worth the wait. The count is now complete with the possible exception of a handful of votes in El Dorado County and the election result stands at: McClintock 185,615 and Brown at 183,840.

The lead of 1,775 votes is a margin of victory that puts us well outside the possibility of a recount changing the outcome. To put it in perspective, it is more than twice the margin by which I lost the race for State Controller in 2002.

The numbers came in a little late to hold a press conference today but I expect to have a formal statement at our Congressional transition office in Roseville on Monday.

In the meantime, I can only reflect on the fact that I will never be able adequately to thank all those who so selflessly volunteered their time and resources to bring us to this moment. It is appropriate that the tally should be completed on the eve of Thanksgiving Day - it is a reminder of how much I owe to all those who rallied to the cause and to the voters of the fourth Congressional District. I am well aware of the trust that has been placed in me and I will do everything I can to be worthy of it.

I want also to congratulate Charlie Brown and his supporters on waging one of the most hard-fought campaigns I have ever faced. There can be no doubt of the sincerity of their views or the dedication with which they pursued them. I know from personal experience how difficult it is to lose a close race, and I hope it is a consolation for them to know that they made a truly superb effort.

I will have much more to say formally on Monday, but for now please accept my sincere thanks for all of the sacrifices that have been made on behalf of my candidacy.

It will be interesting to see if he will truly represent his district since half of them voted against him or if he will still pander to his party and supporters only.

I hope he doesn't claim this victory as a "mandate" from the people. And I would be saying the same if the vote went the other way.

#4 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Nov 29 2008, 02:48 AM) View Post
It will be interesting to see if he will truly represent his district since half of them voted against him or if he will still pander to his party and supporters only.

I hope he doesn't claim this victory as a "mandate" from the people. And I would be saying the same if the vote went the other way.

Standing by your principals is not pandering.

#5 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

I had these thoughts when Obama was elected. Many millions voted against him, and I hope he will remember that he represents all and not just those who supported him. It always remains to be seen.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

swmr, where do you live? I thought you lived in Folsom which is CDO3, represented by Lundgren.

EDH is in CDO4 and I feel sorry for the voters in CD04. They didn't have much to choose from. Charlie Brown, a veteran that marches with anti-military folks, or McClintock, a wanna-be career politician (which looks like he got his wish) from So Cal who obviously is so disconnected from the district he now represents, it is rediculous.

I really wish they had hard requirements that one must reside in any district they want to represent for at least the last 10 years of their life and the whole time they represent the district or a minimum of half their life and during the whole time they represent the district.

And when I say reside, I mean eat & sleep there most of the time, not some residential address they hardly ever visit.
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(randb @ Nov 29 2008, 02:33 PM) View Post

maybe so, but as a represntative, your constituents should come before your own principals.

#8 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE(randb @ Nov 29 2008, 02:33 PM) View Post

True. But when you are elected into office as a rep for the ENTIRE district that you ran in, not just for the people who voted you into office.

Being involved with the political scene for the last 5 years, I'm disappointed in that both Dems and Repubs forget about the "other side" of their constituents. Both kowtow to their base and make little effort to include the opposing party. For McClintock, it has become more "dangerous" for him to ignore the nearly 50% of voters who continue to disagree with his positions/principals.

#9 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Dec 1 2008, 11:55 AM) View Post
swmr, where do you live? I thought you lived in Folsom which is CDO3, represented by Lundgren.

EDH is in CDO4 and I feel sorry for the voters in CD04. They didn't have much to choose from. Charlie Brown, a veteran that marches with anti-military folks, or McClintock, a wanna-be career politician (which looks like he got his wish) from So Cal who obviously is so disconnected from the district he now represents, it is rediculous.

I really wish they had hard requirements that one must reside in any district they want to represent for at least the last 10 years of their life and the whole time they represent the district or a minimum of half their life and during the whole time they represent the district.

And when I say reside, I mean eat & sleep there most of the time, not some residential address they hardly ever visit.

I am in Folsom, but have family in his district.

#10 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Dec 7 2008, 01:28 AM) View Post
I am in Folsom, but have family in his district.

OK, I understand your concern. I live in folsom, but work in CD04 with many friends that live in CD04. I think McClintock is a lousy politician scumbag as he wants to be in government regardless of who he represents, reminds me of Hillary Clinton running for Senate in a state she previously didn't live in. But I'm pretty sure Charlie Brown would also be just as out of touch with his constiuents if he would have won.

#11 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Dec 7 2008, 01:50 AM) View Post
OK, I understand your concern. I live in folsom, but work in CD04 with many friends that live in CD04. I think McClintock is a lousy politician scumbag as he wants to be in government regardless of who he represents, reminds me of Hillary Clinton running for Senate in a state she previously didn't live in. But I'm pretty sure Charlie Brown would also be just as out of touch with his constiuents if he would have won.

Most politicians are...Like my original post on the topic was:

I wonder if McClintock will start to shift his rhetoric to represent more of his district or if he will continue to do the same style of representation he's been doing that is leading to him being nearly ousted. I can only hope that he (along with other politicians) start to do more of the former, but sadly not enough people remain active in government anymore that they are letting the special interest groups get away with "buying" votes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users