47 replies to this topic

#46 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

You must be correct about numerical cutoff criteria. It just makes it hard for those children that are advanced in, say, mathematics over English-language arts. As a parent, I don't like hearing that he's been able to finish his homework in class because he had so much extra time. I feel like he's just coasting along and I'd rather he be challenged even if it meant getting a B instead of an A grade.

If your child is advanced (I think it's 98th or 99th percentile, but can't recall for sure) in one of either ELA or Math, they can be given a test that is basically an IQ test. If they do well on that (another threshold) they would be placed in GATE. The GATE program can only take in the top couple of percent districtwide because only that many are funded by the State (again a disclaimer because I think this is Tier III categorical dollars that are now diverted to other programs anyway due to cuts). Our district, and particularly Folsom, has tons of these students. Most teachers should be able to help to challenge those kids who are not in GATE but scoring in the 97th percentile. Force the issue.

By the way, the new Gateway Academy doesn't have the GATE requirements and thresholds.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#47 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

Tess is right.

Yes. Folsom has a very high proportion of advanced students. I spent some time reviewing GATE plans at the State Dept. of Ed a few years ago. I can say with assurance that this district's percentage of high IQ kids is higher than the state average.

Tess is also correct in that you should push the issue of challenge with your child's teacher if your student is finishing work early and spending idle time in class due to this. How do you do this? Simply e-mail the teacher and let him/her know that you're concerned that Jr. is saying that he's finishing homework in class and seems to have a lot of down time. The teacher can observe that child to see what's going on and make adjustments as needed. Try not to be confrontational, though, because some teachers may feel defensive if they feel you're criticizing. In this day and age of larger class sizes, I know a lot of us feel like we're having a hard time meeting individual needs.

The district offers training for differentiated instruction and GATE strategies on an ongoing basis. Even non-GATE teachers can benefit from taking this training. Lots of good stuff!

We need to challenge every child. Keep in mind that GATE is a program that is designed to label a child who may need something different in the classroom. It's about what a child NEEDS (not what they may be entitled to) based on their ability AND performance. If a child isn't GATE-identified, but needs more challenge based on prior performance, then that child still needs different work. Labels are helpful, but they aren't perfect, and neither is the process for labeling because children are unique, and not everyone's ability can be measured in a test.

But that doesn't mean every child needs additional challenge beyond the curriculum. Among many telltale signs of a child who is lacking the right challenge at school are boredom or idleness after all the regular work has been correctly completed and completing such work well before other students of the same age. There are other signs, but they aren't relevant here.

Sometimes even GATE-identified students don't need a GATE curriculum. The label doesn't guarantee that GATE Child A may be ready for geometry, for example, just because GATE Child B of the same age is ready. It's all dependent on the child, and it's more about readiness and performance. Ability is just one component of the overall equation here.

Also keep in mind that challenge does not equate to more work or GATE packets anymore. Appropriate challenge involves changing process or product so that there is more depth, complexity, novelty and/or acceleration in a given assignment. It should be meaningful challenge work that addresses a child's strengths AND their weaknesses. GATE students should never be given "busy work." It punishes them for being smart, and that turns kids off. We want them to work as hard as the "typical" kids, so challenge work is about the effort involved, not the quantity.

Gifted/ High IQ kids who dont' get challenged can and will regress intellectually. We see it in middle school all the time when the work finally gets difficult and the kid checks out because it's no longer easy and quick to finish something.

Pari -- home sick today -ugh! -- not blogging on the district's time. ;-)

If your child is advanced (I think it's 98th or 99th percentile, but can't recall for sure) in one of either ELA or Math, they can be given a test that is basically an IQ test. If they do well on that (another threshold) they would be placed in GATE. The GATE program can only take in the top couple of percent districtwide because only that many are funded by the State (again a disclaimer because I think this is Tier III categorical dollars that are now diverted to other programs anyway due to cuts). Our district, and particularly Folsom, has tons of these students. Most teachers should be able to help to challenge those kids who are not in GATE but scoring in the 97th percentile. Force the issue.

By the way, the new Gateway Academy doesn't have the GATE requirements and thresholds.

Pari

#48 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

Thanks, Tess & Pari. I was thinking about paying for an outside program, but, from the looks of costs I've seen so far, that isn't in our budget right now.

I think emailing the teacher is probably the best solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users