24 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

NOTE:::

Mailboxes broken into in Folsom neighborhood

FOLSOM, CA - Some Folsom residents may want to keep an extra close eye on their banking accounts and other correspondence after vandals pried open seven community mailboxes overnight.
U.S. Postal Service Inspector Troy Dickenson said the break-ins were discovered by mail carriers Thursday morning. The mailboxes were damaged, with indications something had been used to pry at them.
It hasn't been confirmed but the vandalism may have taken place in a neighborhood near Amos Park. News10 was checking.
Dickenson said the post office had not received any specific reports from residents about whether mail was taken.
He urged residents to retrieve their mail daily to help prevent theft.

http://folsom.news10...om-neighborhood
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Only junk mail goes to my community mail box, all the important stuff goes to my PO Box.

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Gah.. some wonderfully thoughtful person thought a baseball bat to my mail box would help aerate and moisturize my mail a few months ago. Since I cant ever remember to get my mail whether its important or not--- my mail has certainly been getting aerated and moisturized this winter.

Sai la vie

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Our postman told me today that 3 or 4 mail boxes have been broken into in the
Prairie City area. One on Duncan Way.

We always check our mail right after the time it is supposed to be delivered.
Do not leave your mail in the boxes overnight.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#5 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the notice.

I inherited the lowest box in the community mailbox, yet I'm probably one of the tallest residents. So I only check my mail once or twice a week. Most of it is junk mail anyways. And I'm slowing switching over to paying bills on line, and ask family to use my PO box. I'm sure the vandals would not find anything of much interest in my mailbox.

Is there any way to stop receiving all those free newspaper-like ads?

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the notice.

I inherited the lowest box in the community mailbox, yet I'm probably one of the tallest residents. So I only check my mail once or twice a week. Most of it is junk mail anyways. And I'm slowing switching over to paying bills on line, and ask family to use my PO box. I'm sure the vandals would not find anything of much interest in my mailbox.

Is there any way to stop receiving all those free newspaper-like ads?

www.dmachoice.org let's you get on a Do Not Mail list that a lot of national marketing groups will honor. you can opt out for five years or permanently.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 mountainclimber

mountainclimber

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

If I overlooked a previous thread on this, my bad. I skimmed several pages and didn't see any

I get up at 345am daily and am at the gym by 430am. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as I drove Thursday morning through our Willow Springs area neighborhood. Several hours later my wife was driving the same route (and likely paying more attention than I typically do) and noticed our mailbox station with some 40 (?) mailboxes wide open, and completely empty, every box. Further down the street she found another station jacked up and visibly damaged . We called FPD. "Yeah, ok, we'll send someone out." Never heard anything back

Today my wife saw the mail guy. Asked him what was going on. He verified our mailbox had been robbed, along with many others in our neighborhood Thurs morning. :( But it's worse. He said this is an epidemic in Folsom and has been happening in most neighborhoods for quite some time now. He said he thinks its the same perp.

SO. First question: were y'all aware of this? Second question: anyone--by chance--have video surveillance that may have captured someone jacking a mailbox in the Willow Springs area Thurs morning ? Also, has anyone else reported this crime to FPD?

The mail guy said he is puzzled as to why the FPD has not made the community aware of this problem to raise vigilance because the crime is affecting thousands and most have no idea it is even happening because USPS repairs boxes quickly . I would set up surveillance but I am not within field of view of a box

This needs to stop

#8 mountainclimber

mountainclimber

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Per the USPS: Thieves robbing neighborhood mailbox stations . They robbed ALL the stations in our South Broadstone neighborhood. USPS mailman told us it is happening throughout Folsom and residents don't even know it because USPS repairs damaged boxes before people see them. Your mail has been getting stolen. What is FPD doing about this ? Anyone ?

#9 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Do the robbers pay the bills that were mailed to you? Do you need to pay the bill if it was stolen from you? Hm.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

If I overlooked a previous thread on this, my bad. I skimmed several pages and didn't see any

I get up at 345am daily and am at the gym by 430am. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as I drove Thursday morning through our Willow Springs area neighborhood. Several hours later my wife was driving the same route (and likely paying more attention than I typically do) and noticed our mailbox station with some 40 (?) mailboxes wide open, and completely empty, every box. Further down the street she found another station jacked up and visibly damaged . We called FPD. "Yeah, ok, we'll send someone out." Never heard anything back

Today my wife saw the mail guy. Asked him what was going on. He verified our mailbox had been robbed, along with many others in our neighborhood Thurs morning. :( But it's worse. He said this is an epidemic in Folsom and has been happening in most neighborhoods for quite some time now. He said he thinks its the same perp.

SO. First question: were y'all aware of this? Second question: anyone--by chance--have video surveillance that may have captured someone jacking a mailbox in the Willow Springs area Thurs morning ? Also, has anyone else reported this crime to FPD?

The mail guy said he is puzzled as to why the FPD has not made the community aware of this problem to raise vigilance because the crime is affecting thousands and most have no idea it is even happening because USPS repairs boxes quickly . I would set up surveillance but I am not within field of view of a box

This needs to stop

I'm not sure how many ways the Folsom PD notifies the public, but I hear about crime and suspicious activity via Nixle: http://www.nixle.com/ . You can sign up to get alerts through email and/or texts. There are a few members of this site who subscribe, and one of us usually posts the informaiton on MyFolsom for the benefit of those who haven't signed up for Nixle alerts.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

Do the robbers pay the bills that were mailed to you? Do you need to pay the bill if it was stolen from you? Hm.

Tee heee heee Humor in March. Amazing.

ps..the rainy season has arrived.

#12 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Per the USPS: Thieves robbing neighborhood mailbox stations . They robbed ALL the stations in our South Broadstone neighborhood. USPS mailman told us it is happening throughout Folsom and residents don't even know it because USPS repairs damaged boxes before people see them. Your mail has been getting stolen. What is FPD doing about this ? Anyone ?

perhaps you should go back and ask the postmaster that. There is actually a federal investigation unit that specifically handles mail fraud, theft or other absconderies

#13 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Make sure to check your mail NIGHTLY. Don't put mail in the outgoing box at night.

Multiple Mailbox stations have been hit in the last month in Folsom. In one area they were just working down the streets (one street after the next) nightly and never caught.

Be vigilant and always check your mail daily or stop service if you will be gone.

The Post Office can't do anything about this, on my street they simply repaired the broken station, and most neighbors didn't even know it happened. We have not received any notice that the entire station was broken open and all mail stolen.

In my case, I check mail daily, and all billing is done electronically, so I didn't lose anything. But it's worth noting the situation, since the Folsom PD can't do much about it, so it is on us to be aware.

#14 gbfolsom

gbfolsom

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

I noticed today when I checked my mail that all four "outgoing" mailboxes had been covered and bolted.  I rarely used them and when I did it was when I knew mail had not yet been picked up for the day.  I'm assuming it is a result of all of the break-ins.  A little notice on these types of changes would be nice!

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

A week ago I caught a couple trying to get into my mail box. They drove up right to my box and opened it. They didnt see me because of the angle of the brush on the property as I walked down the driveway. I scared the s---ake outta them. They drove off. 

They were a upper middle aged couple in a white mini van. The man looked to be in his late 40's early 50s with dark hair. The woman was at least 10 years older with dark gray hair. Both were caucasion. 

The lady at first tried to be condescending by saying hi sweetie, we are just lost. I told her to get her hands out of the mail box and get the F... out of here. The man was driving and he took off, pretty fast.

They alerted me because I was arriving home at 0530 (morning). I saw them sitting on a curve of the road not near a house. It made me suspicious. I drove into the driveway and parked the car then walked back down the driveway to close my gates. That's when I saw them drive up. They went into the neighbors box first. I called the postal carrier and they seemed completely uninterested.

So I told the neighbors around me. This is not the first time in the last few months that we have been having issues with mail boxes being destroyed or rifled through or mail just not (arriving). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Robbery, Folsom, mail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users