Photo
- - - - -

Red Brick Wall At Corner Of Blue Ravine & School Street?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Just wondering, the small 4ft brick wall at the corner of Blue Ravine & School Street. Did this wall used to say something? or the name of the community along School Street, Whales etc... Anyone with any info would be appreciated. I find it tough to believe someone would have just built a brick wall for no other reason. Would be nice if the city put a name back on it if it were the case.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

I've been wondering that for a long time, too.
It was covered with bushes for a very long time and now that those are gone it's kind of more noticeable.

It's never had a sign as long as we've been here (about 30 years). Maybe it did at one time.

Another thing I wonder about is that little island where Rumsey and Price Way meet up with Duchow.
I heard once it was supposed to be a memorial of some type but never got done.

#3 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

One problem with putting the names on is that many of the materials used for that are attractive to scumbags who then steal the letters and sell for scrap. I know they hit ARC a couple years ago.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

One problem with putting the names on is that many of the materials used for that are attractive to scumbags who then steal the letters and sell for scrap. I know they hit ARC a couple years ago.

Very true. Prairie Oaks I think has had the same problem.

If someone were to research and find out what that brick wall should say, if anything, it might be hard to raise funds from individuals to get it put back up if it's just going to get stolen.

#5 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

it could be called "the wall to nowhere"

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

it could be called "the wall to nowhere"

It's not nowhere, old soldier. Some of us call that neighborhood home.

#7 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

It's not nowhere, old soldier. Some of us call that neighborhood home.

sorry did't mean anything bad about the neighborhood just that it had no name for a long time and nobody had a name that they wanted to put on the wall

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

sorry did't mean anything bad about the neighborhood just that it had no name for a long time and nobody had a name that they wanted to put on the wall

Oh, okay. We're cool, old soldier.
Maybe instead of the Fab '40s we can call it the Fab '50s since that's when many of the homes were built.

#9 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the replies, I agree about if someone put lettering on the wall it would likely get defaced or stollen in no time.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

it would be cool t get the neighborhood together and do some tiles from color me mine; have the whole neighborhood represented on that brick wall.

#11 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for the replies, I agree about if someone put lettering on the wall it would likely get defaced or stollen in no time.

Not to pick on pool runner....but while there is always a risk of vandalism, I find this line of reasoning to be defeatist. If we act (or fail to act) based on the belief that whatever we build will be mis-used and/or vandalized, then the vandals have won and we may as well live in Soviet-style, drab, gray, concrete apartment blocks. This line of reasoning is why we have city parks with port-o-johns instead of bathrooms, school yards with no trash receptacles and bike paths with steel poles in the middle of them. When we design our city (public or private places) with greater interest in preventing the mis-use of facilities than in providing for the intended users, we've got our priorities upside down.

I say put something nice on the wall. A blank wall is a much greater attraction to vandals than an attractive, nicely-kept one (even though the existing wall, now that it is clearly visible, would qualify as nicely-kept).

A closing question to you all: do neighborhoods sprout bars on windows because they are going downhill, or do they go downhill because people start putting bars on windows?

I would argue that at very least, the latter accelerates the process.

#12 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

I heard from someone who was talking with an oldtimer who claimed that after a lengthy public debate the then council back in the day agreed to make this wall the southern most boundary of Folsom, as part of a compromise to build along School Street.

The sign was supposed to read Welcome to Folsom's Permanent Southern Most Boundary. The story goes the land owners SBRR, encouraged the council not to actually buy the sign and put it up because in time, some people would forget and the new residents wouldn't know about this pledge, therefore the council could change the story and say they meant NOTHING S50.

Maybe the good citizens who live in Rancho Murieta would pay to have the wall and signage relocated to their Northern most Boundary?

#13 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Not to pick on pool runner....but while there is always a risk of vandalism, I find this line of reasoning to be defeatist. If we act (or fail to act) based on the belief that whatever we build will be mis-used and/or vandalized, then the vandals have won and we may as well live in Soviet-style, drab, gray, concrete apartment blocks. This line of reasoning is why we have city parks with port-o-johns instead of bathrooms, school yards with no trash receptacles and bike paths with steel poles in the middle of them. When we design our city (public or private places) with greater interest in preventing the mis-use of facilities than in providing for the intended users, we've got our priorities upside down.

I say put something nice on the wall. A blank wall is a much greater attraction to vandals than an attractive, nicely-kept one (even though the existing wall, now that it is clearly visible, would qualify as nicely-kept).

A closing question to you all: do neighborhoods sprout bars on windows because they are going downhill, or do they go downhill because people start putting bars on windows?

I would argue that at very least, the latter accelerates the process.

I love the way you think, Tony. I agree that once you let things go, it can go downhill.
I just don't know if this wall needs anything on it or if it's more a matter of leaving well enough alone.

I love supermom's idea with the tiles, but after seeing the damage to the ones at the Kids Play Park I'm not sure that would work.

#14 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

I heard from someone who was talking with an oldtimer who claimed that after a lengthy public debate the then council back in the day agreed to make this wall the southern most boundary of Folsom, as part of a compromise to build along School Street.

The sign was supposed to read Welcome to Folsom's Permanent Southern Most Boundary. The story goes the land owners SBRR, encouraged the council not to actually buy the sign and put it up because in time, some people would forget and the new residents wouldn't know about this pledge, therefore the council could change the story and say they meant NOTHING S50.

Maybe the good citizens who live in Rancho Murieta would pay to have the wall and signage relocated to their Northern most Boundary?

Someone's had a visit to the Blarney stone:)

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

[quote name='tony' timestamp='1334962820' post='440376']
Not to pick on pool runner....but while there is always a risk of vandalism, I find this line of reasoning to be defeatist. If we act (or fail to act) based on the belief that whatever we build will be mis-used and/or vandalized, then the vandals have won and we may as well live in Soviet-style, drab, gray, concrete apartment blocks.

I hear of an observation one time, called the broken window theory/

....It just takes one--and the neighborhood goes to pieces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users