9 replies to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

Just curious what the Folsom codes are for RV's and boats in driveways.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

As far as I know, it’s legal as long as it doesn’t encroach on the public right-of-way. Council was going to update the Municipal Code around 2005 requiring RVs and boats to be parked behind side yard fences, but the action was dropped.

I did a quick search and did not see a change regarding RV parking to the FMC, but I could have missed it. 

"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#3 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

It is very interesting to me that Joe would complain about people parking their legal vehicles on their own property. Joe is very vocal on this forum about being a Libertarian.

I find his question to be at odds with his underlying beliefs. Unless we have been mis-led by Joe.

Joe, can you clarify? Thank You.

#4 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

Who said I was complaining?  I was just at the Sac RV show and found something I was interested in. Just gathering facts is all.  I have an RV gate, and I used to keep the boat behind it, but I would have to substantially chop up a beautiful camphor tree to fit an rv in there.  Just wondering about the legality of it (as I may be libertarian, but I believe in the rule of law). My extended driveway is 30 feet long, so it is long enough to keep from encroaching any public right of way. While it wouldn't be a deciding factor, I would also consider my neighbors views on such storage.  It would be new so no trashy looking beater.Visually, I'd prefer to have it behind a fence, but that isn't doable.   I know my neighbor a few doors down just bought one, and he still has it parked on the street (I think he is getting it dialed in). Perhaps I'll go down there and see what his plan is.  I know there are 2 behind fences and one in the driveway on my street.

Depending on fence backset codes, I suppose I could redo the fence. Anyone know the backset regs for fencing on the side/front yard?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

Depending on fence backset codes, I suppose I could redo the fence. Anyone know the backset regs for fencing on the side/front yard?

I believe  the code for backset for a 6ft fence is no further forward than the front of house or garage. You can have a 4 ft fence most of the way to the curb.

I know many homes that have RV and boats in the driveways.   If you have an ACTIVE HOA you are likely limited...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#6 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

Heh, I didn't see the post as a complaint but rather inquiring about the "rules".

In my neighborhood I wasn't allowed to have an RV or Boat or anything on the street for more then 3 days, some neighbors claimed it was only 2 days. I got notices whenever my rig was at my house more then a day or two. I hated that crap but that's how it is and it's not a bad rule because it wouldn't look nice having trailers and boats parked in driveways everywhere.

I kept my trailer in storage in Placerville (covered) for $110 a month.

My new house in Georgia allows RV parking but then I'll also have over 2 acres there too :)

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#7 BuffaloRon

BuffaloRon

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

According to the city enforcement code, you have a maximum of 72 hours to park any form of RV or boat on public streets. HOA rules may supersede city code in order to enforce a shorter duration.

#8 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

Any vehicle, car/truck/boat/trailer/rv, etc, per FMC can only be parked on a Folsom street for a maximum of 72 continuous hours.  As for parking such vehicle in one's driveway, any and all vehicles on private property that is VISIBLE from the street is required to be currently licensed/registered.  If not currently licensed/registered, it has to be placed out of view (behind fence and not visible from street).

HOAs usually have specific rules regarding vehicle parking which each owner in that HOA signs agreement to when purchasing an HOA-governed property.

#9 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Parking on street vs parking in driveway have completly different rules. City 72hr ordinance only applies to parking on the street.

#10 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

Plus the boat or trailer if parked on the street has to be hooked up to a tow vehicle at all times. It cannot be sitting there by itself unhitched. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users