#31 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Apr 7 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You make a good point. I think I'd be opposed to not having the mountain lions as I'm a lover of cats, big and small. However, I won't change my mind about snakes. Even if poor Bill wouldn't have his diet of choice. Rattlers can kill mountain lions too.

Maybe we could call him to come to our houses and do the killing of these mean critters?

He could have the meat to eat and we'd have the yard clear of them. Even exchange.

What do ya think, Bill? Want to have a little career on the side? I can just see the sign on the van....."SNAKE KILLER AT LARGE".

And think of the cool out fit he could wear! laugh.gif

My preferred method of killing rattlesnakes is the 410 shotgun. Folsom muni code doesn't allow the discharge of weapons inside the city limits. So your proposed career change for me is already against the law. DARN!!! I was thinking I could make a killin as a snake disposer, PUN intended. lmao.gif
I would rather be Backpacking

#32 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 7 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, most rattlesnake bites don't end in death for humans.
They are a natural part of the states ecosystem, just like them pesky mosquito's which probably kill far more people from the diseases they can carry than rattlesnakes do.

Besides, if you killed off all the rattlers, then what would I eat? laugh.gif
OK, I've only eaten one so far in my life, but I would like to dine on another someday.

From what I've read, rattler venom can kill a small child pretty quickly and all the hospitals do not carry the anti-venom, or am I mistaken?

My small niece, (4 years old) was bitten by a rattler when she was camping with her folks. She was so affected by the incident that she would never leave her mother's side when they went camping after that. The night mares were the worse and she had to have a few years of counseling and still won't do camping or anything where a rattler could be.

#33 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Apr 7 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I've read, rattler venom can kill a small child pretty quickly and all the hospitals do not carry the anti-venom, or am I mistaken?

My small niece, (4 years old) was bitten by a rattler when she was camping with her folks. She was so affected by the incident that she would never leave her mother's side when they went camping after that. The night mares were the worse and she had to have a few years of counseling and still won't do camping or anything where a rattler could be.

Yes, babies and the elderly are more at risk, but even you 4 year old niece survived. I know of dogs around 40 lbs that survived. But a bite should always be considered potentially lethal.
Around 8,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes in the United States each year[1]. On average, fewer than 15 snakebite deaths are reported.

#34 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 7 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, babies and the elderly are more at risk, but even you 4 year old niece survived. I know of dogs around 40 lbs that survived. But a bite should always be considered potentially lethal.

Yeah, my niece survived, but it was so hard on her. She was really traumatized by it and still won't go in my back yard when she visits, even though she is now in her early twenties.

She confessed to me recently that she still has nightmares about snakes. It's so sad she now is living with that fear.

#35 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Apr 7 2009, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, my niece survived, but it was so hard on her. She was really traumatized by it and still won't go in my back yard when she visits, even though she is now in her early twenties.

She confessed to me recently that she still has nightmares about snakes. It's so sad she now is living with that fear.

Yes, that is sad.

I knew an adult that was mauled by a dog as a child and never got over fearing dogs either. Childhood trauma can really be psychologically damaging.

#36 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 7 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My preferred method of killing rattlesnakes is the 410 shotgun. Folsom muni code doesn't allow the discharge of weapons inside the city limits. So your proposed career change for me is already against the law. DARN!!! I was thinking I could make a killin as a snake disposer, PUN intended. lmao.gif

I'd think one would have to have some large ones to be able to get close enough to a rattler to kill them with a shovel. Just what does the city of Folsom want us to do when confronted with a rattler.... run? What if that thing is faster?

I'll use my shot gun and the city can go to......you know what. A fine is better than a bite, any day.

I hear their bite hurts like H#ll. I'll pass, thank you.

#37 B&G

B&G

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Apr 6 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strong odors--snakes tend to avoid.

Like mint, they also don't like moth balls.

Ps---it's illegal to kill rattlers in Folsom. (unless you absolutely have to)

I call B.S. on that one. We once had Folsom PD respond to our house for a large rattlesnake that was blocking the entrance to our home. Two officers showed up and introduced the snake to their asp. The snake was then collected and put in our garbage can.

#38 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Rattlesnake venom doesn't affect animals the same way it affects humans. We had a cat when we were growing up that got bit in the face by a rattlesnake... it survived with no meds.

#39 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

It's so weird that I've lived in the Sacramento suburbs since I was 12. It wasn't until I moved to Folsom that I heard anything about rattlesnakes around here.

Of course the habitat of a 12yo girl in the 80's was Sunrise Mall and definitely NOT the bike trails. All that sunlight would have made my hair go flat. Or all of the Aquanet fumes would have burned a hole in the ozone...

Whatever..

Sooo.... If one were living in Lexington Hills... theoretically... would one need to be concerned about rattlesnakes in their backyard?

I'm just asking for a friend. unsure.gif biggrin.gif

Nancy

#40 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

YES YES YES!!!
I taught at OC for a while and it was common for a few snakes to be spotted while school was in session. One year a small baby slithered into a classroom at Back To School Night. Thankfully it wasn't in my room!
QUOTE (Nancy @ Apr 7 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's so weird that I've lived in the Sacramento suburbs since I was 12. It wasn't until I moved to Folsom that I heard anything about rattlesnakes around here.

Of course the habitat of a 12yo girl in the 80's was Sunrise Mall and definitely NOT the bike trails. All that sunlight would have made my hair go flat. Or all of the Aquanet fumes would have burned a hole in the ozone...

Whatever..

Sooo.... If one were living in Lexington Hills... theoretically... would one need to be concerned about rattlesnakes in their backyard?

I'm just asking for a friend. unsure.gif biggrin.gif

Nancy

#41 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (B&G @ Apr 7 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I call B.S. on that one. We once had Folsom PD respond to our house for a large rattlesnake that was blocking the entrance to our home. Two officers showed up and introduced the snake to their asp. The snake was then collected and put in our garbage can.

Also, to the op that no rattlers are not endangered, check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.c...gered-list.html

Not likely to find Timber rattlers out here: but do you really know the difference?

This snake is more often than not--the type you see--please note in the article where they tend to hang out--and have their clutches of babies. How many of you live near the American River? How many live on the south side of the hill over by Empire Ranch?

http://www.washingto...gy/cviridis.htm

Also--for those of you who do not know--the Southern Pacific Rattlesnake is not endangered but, scientists actually believe that the rattler has learned how to survive. They have learned that humans with "sticks" are dangerous. They rarely rattle anymore. They strike first. Also, their poison is the most dangerous of all rattlers found in California.

http://www.marvistav..._californi.html

If you don't have a hunting license--you have no right to kill. Game wardens need to know what is killed for control purposes. Don't kill a rattler unless you have no choice.

#42 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

Putting exaggeration and hype aside, do people really see that many rattlesnakes around here? I've never seen one, not even on the trails.

#43 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (supermom @ Apr 8 2009, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, to the op that no rattlers are not endangered, check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.c...gered-list.html

Not likely to find Timber rattlers out here: but do you really know the difference?

From Califonia Snakes website, a list of Pit Vipers:

Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake
Mojave Desert Sidewinder
Colorado Desert Sidewinder
Red Diamond Rattlesnake
Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake
Panamint Rattlesnake
Mojave Green Rattlesnake
Southern Pacific Rattlesnake
Great Basin Rattlesnake
Northern Pacific Rattlesnake

None of which are on the CA endangered species list of reptiles:
Common Name (Scientific Name)
boa, southern rubber (Charina bottae umbratica)
gecko, barefoot banded (Coleonyx switaki)
lizard, blunt-nosed leopard (Gambelia silus)
lizard, Coachella Valley fringe-toed (Uma inornata)
lizard, island night (Xantusia riversiana)
sea turtle, green (Chelonia mydas)
sea turtle, leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea)
sea turtle, loggerhead (Caretta caretta)
sea turtle, olive (=Pacific) Ridley (Lepidochelys olivacea)
snake, giant garter (Thamnophis couchi gigas)
snake, San Francisco garter (Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia)
striped racer, Alameda (=Alameda whipsnake) (Masticophis lateralis euryxanthus)
tortoise, desert (Gopherus agassizii)

If you don't have a hunting license--you have no right to kill. Game wardens need to know what is killed for control purposes. Don't kill a rattler unless you have no choice.

and you must have missed jagayman's post that no license is required for the sport taking of rattlesnakes in CA. Everyone has the right to kill them, just observe the daily bag limit.
QUOTE (jagayman @ Apr 6 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.dfg.ca.go...iles/fg1502.pdf

§5.60. Reptiles.
(b) No sportfishing license is required for the sport take of any rattlesnake.

And from the Department of Fish and Game:
"Rattlesnakes may be taken by any method and the daily bag and possession limit for them is two (ref. CCR, Title 14, Section 5.60[a]). "

So don't kill more than two a day and you should be good.

#44 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Apr 8 2009, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Putting exaggeration and hype aside, do people really see that many rattlesnakes around here? I've never seen one, not even on the trails.

I haven't seen one, but during the 15 years I worked on Woodmere Rd, I recall at least 5 instances of rattlesnakes making it inside the premises. and FWIW, lots of Turkeys, but only one skunk ever wandered up to the front entrance.

#45 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 8 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From Califonia Snakes website, a list of Pit Vipers:

Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake
Mojave Desert Sidewinder
Colorado Desert Sidewinder
Red Diamond Rattlesnake
Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake
Panamint Rattlesnake
Mojave Green Rattlesnake
Southern Pacific Rattlesnake
Great Basin Rattlesnake
Northern Pacific Rattlesnake

None of which are on the CA endangered species list of reptiles:
Common Name (Scientific Name)
boa, southern rubber (Charina bottae umbratica)
gecko, barefoot banded (Coleonyx switaki)
lizard, blunt-nosed leopard (Gambelia silus)
lizard, Coachella Valley fringe-toed (Uma inornata)
lizard, island night (Xantusia riversiana)
sea turtle, green (Chelonia mydas)
sea turtle, leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea)
sea turtle, loggerhead (Caretta caretta)
sea turtle, olive (=Pacific) Ridley (Lepidochelys olivacea)
snake, giant garter (Thamnophis couchi gigas)
snake, San Francisco garter (Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia)
striped racer, Alameda (=Alameda whipsnake) (Masticophis lateralis euryxanthus)
tortoise, desert (Gopherus agassizii)

and you must have missed jagayman's post that no license is required for the sport taking of rattlesnakes in CA. Everyone has the right to kill them, just observe the daily bag limit.

You didn't actually read my post before blipping, did you?

Re-read this:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users