48 replies to this topic

#46 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

My main complaint about people walking their dogs off leash is in the state park areas where they can't control them. for instance, along Lake Natoma. people think its wilderness and a good place for their dogs to run free. well, the dogs think so too and they disturb the wild life (deer especially) that are trying to find a little shelter. the deer spook, get separated from their little groups, get injured, sometimes run out on Folsom Blvd. and get run over. it's one thing for people to take their dogs out to Folsom Lake to run in the wide open barren spaces exposed by the low water level, but not through the forested areas where they can't see what their dogs are doing.

sorry to detract from the internal thread conflict. let the battle resume.... smile.gif
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#47 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Dec 19 2006, 09:22 AM) View Post
It wasn't her fault. While the dogs may've caused sudden braking, the story I read from swmr (and the photo) indicates it was a rear-ender. Calif's basic speed law says you shouldn't drive your car so fast that you can't brake before hitting the car ahead of you. So in a rear-ender it is always the fault of the driver in the rear. Sorry to break that to you swmr.

Nonetheless we should all keep our dogs on leashes.

This is absolutely not always true. The car before SWMR suddenly had to brake because he was attempting to avoid running over a dog that should have been on a leash. SWMR, you should contact an attorney about this incident and get reimbursed for your medical/massage treatment and the damages to your car. You should also make sure that they cover your liabilities towards the vehicle and driver in front of you. PM me if you want the name of a good attorney who deals with this all the time.

Also, as much as I respect Police Officers, they are not attorneys and do not know the full extent of the laws (Insurance law/Vehicle Code Sections/Dog Leash Laws) in CA. You should always consult with an attorney when you have a question or concern regarding liability because it can come back and bite you in the end. I used to work for an insurance company in their subrogation department (subrogation - we seek reimbursement from third parties or even our insured based on their liability towards the accident). I also work with attorneys and know that some insurance companies can seek reimbursement from their own insured for the damages/medical expenses incurred by the other driver/vehicle in front of you. There may also be a clause in you insurance policy that states that they can come after you for reimbursement of claim payments if you are found liable for the damages/medical costs of another (ie, DUI drivers, reckless drivers, etc.) This cost may range into the thousands depending on the extent of the vehicle's damage, your vehicle's damage, other driver's medical cost, your medical cost, etc. Better safe than sorry. I highly recommend you contact an attorney and find out what your rights and liailities are in this incident. I would also get a copy of the Police Report from FPD. It usually cost only $10 and you can get that from the Police Department on Natoma.

As for the woman/dog owner who just kept walking and was completely unconcerned about the drivers of the vehicles, she should be kicked in her you know what!!!! I can't even believe that she just kept on walking and didn't bother to see if you guys were all right. What a total jerk!
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#48 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(OctoberLily @ Jan 10 2007, 01:18 PM) View Post
This is absolutely not always true. The car before SWMR suddenly had to brake because he was attempting to avoid running over a dog that should have been on a leash. SWMR, you should contact an attorney about this incident and get reimbursed for your medical/massage treatment and damage to your car. PM me if you want the name of a good attorney who deals with this all the time.

As for the woman/dog owner who just kept walking and was completely unconcerned about the drivers of the vehicles, she should be kicked in her you know what!!!! I can't even believe that she just kept on walking and didn't bother to see if you guys were all right.

Read the whole thread. You'll see how my point was validated based in part on MY OWN EXPERIENCE AS A (former) attorney and the understanding into the situation I had.

#49 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Jan 10 2007, 01:21 PM) View Post
Read the whole thread. You'll see how my point was validated based in part on MY OWN EXPERIENCE AS A (former) attorney and the understanding into the situation I had.

I should have known you may be an attorney with your userid name: "Al Waysrite". LOL! I worked with someone with the same name on her license plate. hahaha! You guys are funny! But I guess that is what makes a good attorney - they HAVE to always be right!! =) By the way, I quoted you but was responding in general to others who believe SWMR is at fault - including the police officer. We've proven some Police Officers to be wrong is certain cases, so I don't take their word for truth all the time.

I think that SWMR may have a case though - especially if this woman continues to violate the leash laws and is cited, then she is proven (through her citation at the time of this incident) to have had some liability in this incident. At least some contribution to SWMR's damages and liabilities. I think this dog owner is a rock and clueless as to how dangerous her behavior is even when it is presented to her up close.
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users