Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

What Did You Think Of The Library Petition?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#16 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 19 2006, 02:11 PM) View Post

Read the item that Gwyneth posted.

Oh yeah, important stuff!

And if they need a certified library beer and wine test supervisor, I can make myself available.

Edited by mylo, 19 June 2006 - 05:45 PM.

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#17 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:36 PM

I just don't think that a Petition signed by 14 people is going to do anything..
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#18 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 19 2006, 08:36 PM) View Post

I just don't think that a Petition signed by 14 people is going to do anything..

I'd have to agree! 14 people who have a vested interest in the petition. Yeah... that is going to get far.

Maybe they should form a union of 14 members and strike. Another brilliant idea!

#19 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Netizen

• Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 19 2006, 06:45 PM) View Post

Oh yeah, important stuff!

And if they need a certified library beer and wine test supervisor, I can make myself available.

Hmmm, lessee, I'm weighing the importance of free speech and literacy against beer and wine consumption. Ow, that's a close call. Gee Mylo, don't think the library cause will be boosted by your besotted energy.

#20 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

be新ot Pronunciation
tr.v. be新ot暗ed, be新ot暗ing, be新ots

To muddle or stupefy, as with alcoholic liquor or infatuation.

Edited by mylo, 19 June 2006 - 09:28 PM.

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#21 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 19 2006, 10:28 PM) View Post

be新ot Pronunciation
tr.v. be新ot暗ed, be新ot暗ing, be新ots

To muddle or stupefy, as with alcoholic liquor or infatuation.

I've actually been looking for a muddler. Anyone know a good bartendening supply store around?

#22 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Netizen

• Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

I don't think it is just 14 people. The Library Commission, which represents the public interest, stood up at the City Council mtg last Tuesday and recommended that a library director is urgently needed. In response, Mayor Morin said he personally supports the need for a library director. Several members of the public also made statements that supported the Commission recommendation.

Maybe it's on a smaller scale, but seems there may be parallels here with whats going on in the Fire dept. Mr. Giacometti has pointed out in several posts that disruption bubbling up from different sectors could well indicate greater underlying management problems.

Who is Mr. Starsky by the way? Is he always so outspoken about issues he may know nothing about?

#23 looprunner51

looprunner51

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

I think the petition was specifically from the library staff... there can't be many more than fourteen staff members there. I could see having many members of the staff sign a petition that directly effects their workplace as being very influential.

#24 ryanmeg

ryanmeg

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

I strongly support the petition in the Telegraph. The Library needs strong professional leadership.
The Director of Library must have a Master Degree in Library Services with the skills and experiences
to lead, direct and communicate with the staff as we go forward and into the future of Folsom.

The Library must be a separate entity. Separate and apart from any other Department.

Sincerely,

MR

#25 vjensen

vjensen

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

How many people does it take for Folsom City government to recognize that we need well-qualified leaders at every level? Sounds like a lightbulb joke.
The answer's actually 3 (for a City Council majority vote)--apparently requiring that public employees meet customary qualifications for a position needs to extend beyond the library.
Anything less invites political favoritism. City government should competently address (represent) the needs and voice of the people--the constituents.
Is it really too much to ask that our brand new library is manged by a competent leader? "Competent" as defined by a list of customary qualifications.
Make that 15--where do i sign? flag.gif

#26 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(ryanmeg @ Jun 19 2006, 10:58 PM) View Post

I strongly support the petition in the Telegraph. The Library needs strong professional leadership.
The Director of Library must have a Master Degree in Library Services with the skills and experiences
to lead, direct and communicate with the staff as we go forward and into the future of Folsom.

The Library must be a separate entity. Separate and apart from any other Department.

Sincerely,

MR

Welcome to the forum MR, its good to see folks interested in the future of our library

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#27 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(ryanmeg @ Jun 19 2006, 10:58 PM) View Post

I totally agree and was unaware until this article hit the Telegraph that we didn't have credentialed leadership at the helm of the library. Does anyone know if the library staff will take their petition public?

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#28 looprunner51

looprunner51

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Jun 19 2006, 11:08 PM) View Post

I totally agree and was unaware until this article hit the Telegraph that we didn't have credentialed leadership at the helm of the library. Does anyone know if the library staff will take their petition public?

I believe it was partly in the telegraph (they quoted it throughout the article) and presented at the last city council meething on June 13th. I'm not sure if it's available to the public except for the quotes in the Telegraph, though.

#29 daveman

daveman

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Jun 19 2006, 11:08 PM) View Post

Since I started this post I figured I should say something. I heard that there were staff that went to the special library commission meeting that was caused by the petition. I guess they wanted to let the commission know that they backed the petition up. There was also mention of a supervisor position that I guess they thought was not valid it was something like $60,000 for the position. The library staff was against it and only wanted the director position. There was also mention of the library being under Administrative Services and felt it should be its own department. As for your question, maybe they will if they know they have support from the citizens, but the city may try hard to settle any dispute in-house.

__Daveman the insane caveman__

#30 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Netizen

• Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 19 2006, 11:02 PM) View Post

Welcome to the forum MR, its good to see folks interested in the future of our library

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 19 2006, 11:02 PM) View Post

Oops sorry for previous blank. *hiccup*

I meant to say Amen to davburr's comment. This library is going to be a major addition to the civic center complex. Modern day libraries strive to be a meeting place for the community. The public should take an active role in demanding quality services, which necessitates excellence in leadership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users