• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 jacorky

jacorky

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

My daughter's PE class at Folsom HS is outdoors on a field that is home to a flock of geese. The geese leave plenty of reminders on the field that they're well fed.

I spoke to her PE teacher who said they know it's a health hazard and that they've spoken to the Folsom HS admin about it but that they won't do anything. Also, she said the band gets first pick of the fields and they get the clean one.

Am I the only parent who doesn't want their kid playing on a field of goose dookie? Who is the Folsom HS admin is responsible? Thanks! ohmy.gif

#2 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

Send em back to Canadia

Those guys did a drive by on my truck a couple of weeks ago.

#3 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Aug 31 2007, 11:36 AM) View Post
Send em back to Canadia

Those guys did a drive by on my truck a couple of weeks ago.

Why would you want to send the kids back to Canada...it's cold up there...
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#4 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Aug 31 2007, 11:39 AM) View Post

Canadia, geese are from Canadia.

#5 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(jacorky @ Aug 31 2007, 11:34 AM) View Post
My daughter's PE class at Folsom HS is outdoors on a field that is home to a flock of geese. The geese leave plenty of reminders on the field that they're well fed.

I spoke to her PE teacher who said they know it's a health hazard and that they've spoken to the Folsom HS admin about it but that they won't do anything. Also, she said the band gets first pick of the fields and they get the clean one.

Am I the only parent who doesn't want their kid playing on a field of goose dookie? Who is the Folsom HS admin is responsible? Thanks! ohmy.gif

The Freshman boys football team practices' in or at least they did last year my son came home a few times with it on the front of his shirt ... push ups in the "DOOKIE" "Sh*t Happens as they say"

#6 jacorky

jacorky

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Aug 31 2007, 11:39 AM) View Post

That's OK, we'll give 'em goose-down jackets!

#7 jacorky

jacorky

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

This is from the Freakonomics professor:

Goose-Poop Machines
By Stephen J. Dubner

I am not a big fan of animal feces left lying about, whether on sidewalks or parks or at the beach. We even devoted one of our N.Y. Times columns to addressing the problem of dog poop in NYC. But dogs at least have owners, who sometimes pick up after their pets. Wild Canadian geese have no such overseers — and, like the worst sort of tourist imaginable, leave behind their leavings wherever they please. They seem particularly fond of the sort of cultivated lawns where children like to play. In fact, I just returned from a wonderful vacation in Cape Cod where the hotel had a huge lawn where we and everyone else played football, badminton, soccer, etc. And then, one afternoon, the geese descended and just covered it with crap. The management couldn’t do much but shrug its shoulders; we couldn’t do much except hold our noses, and look for someplace else to frolic. But that may all be changing. According to this A.P. article, the U.S. Government has stepped in:
[T]he U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has issued a new rule making it easier for farmers, airports, landowners and public health officials to kill the geese without permits. The new rule went into effect last week. Animal rights activists say there’s got to be a better way to deal with the birds. But people who consider the geese a nuisance are applauding the measure. Rep. Jim Saxton, R-N.J., who has been working to control the geese population for years, said, “This day has been a long time in coming.”

#8 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

whew, glad my daughter is in band!

Posted Image

#9 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(jacorky @ Aug 31 2007, 11:34 AM) View Post
Who is the Folsom HS admin is responsible? Thanks! ohmy.gif

I don't quite understand that, but if the admin isn't doing anything about it take it to the school board. If they fail to act, call the CDE.

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

I'm not sure there is anything the school district can do. I thought there was some sort of federal law against pestering the geese.

Also, there have been geese on high school fields... well, since there have been high school fields and geese. Why hasn't it been a "toxic" problem before now?

#11 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

ya know--I'm certainly gonna say I truly love animals, blah a blah

but, I do remember in highschool the guys playing football and we had a major seagull issue at school.

The sea gulls fell out of the sky one day. Literally.

The school put out an announcement that it's not nice to give alkaselzer to birds.

Ya'd think a bunch of Vikings could handle a few sea gulls and stool pigeons without resorting to learning a few tricks in chemistry class.........

#12 jacorky

jacorky

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Aug 31 2007, 01:28 PM) View Post
I'm not sure there is anything the school district can do. I thought there was some sort of federal law against pestering the geese.

Also, there have been geese on high school fields... well, since there have been high school fields and geese. Why hasn't it been a "toxic" problem before now?

And it has been a problem for all time there's been fields where kids and geese mix. There's just no easy solution. I just can't figure why they can't hold PE on a fecal free field. Maybe what's good for the goose is good for the gander, but not my kid.

#13 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(jacorky @ Aug 31 2007, 01:54 PM) View Post
And it has been a problem for all time there's been fields where kids and geese mix. There's just no easy solution. I just can't figure why they can't hold PE on a fecal free field. Maybe what's good for the goose is good for the gander, but not my kid.

Hey, I totally understand. The stuff is nasty. I was just thinking there must be some solution since this can't be the first time this has come up. Maybe check out and make sure some well-meaning person hasn't been feeding them, which could be compounding the problem.

If all else fails give the geese Google Map directions to Kikkoman. It looks like there's plenty of room on those fields. smile.gif

#14 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

Some parks, schools and cities in the Bay area are using dogs to chase away the geese. There are also varieties of grass that geese will not eat or go to. I can't believe that the schools or parents would allow this to go on. Canada geese are filthy when they spend time in an area. It's has to be a health hazard to have kids playing, falling, sliding, etc. in that. shoot.gif

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Aug 31 2007, 03:35 PM) View Post
Some parks, schools and cities in the Bay area are using dogs to chase away the geese. There are also varieties of grass that geese will not eat or go to. I can't believe that the schools or parents would allow this to go on. Canada geese are filthy when they spend time in an area. It's has to be a health hazard to have kids playing, falling, sliding, etc. in that. shoot.gif

well, I don't know all about that. I mean, how many geese are we talking about? Doesn't the grass get watered every day? It seems that most of it would get diluted and break down into the soil.

Now if your talking about a deluge or a swarm of geese then maybe we need to look into the environmental impact of forcing such a large flock of geese from what they have apparently decided is a nice fall layover.

Everyone should place nice and consider the only reason the geese stop during their migration to mexico is to allow their young an opportunity to rest their not so fully grown wings.

I mean geesh--at least somebody is immigrating INTO mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users