• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

Like I have said before:::: SHOTGUN ::::::
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#17 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

Goose crap isn't really all that bad. According to http://charlesriverw...ot.com/atom.xml.

"As for the goose droppings, why not think of them as nature's own lawn fertilizer? Geese are vegetarians, so it's grass in, grass out. Their s--- doesn't attract flies, is water soluble, and goes right back to the grass itself. A state biologist told me he doesn't recommend it, but you could eat several handfuls of the stuff and it wouldn't hurt you."

#18 keyplayer

keyplayer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:music, ballet, scuba diving in tropical locations, bicycling, crusing on the bike (BMW1200LT)

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

The geese on the fields now usually stay year round. There will be more when the migrating geese arrive. They are on the fields at both middle schools too. I don't know how the school would legally be able to get the geese to leave. They move when the kids are there but they return in the evening. Geese don't mind sprinklers but they should help break down the poop. I doubt there are any poop free fields except maybe the artificial one.

#19 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Aug 31 2007, 03:52 PM) View Post
well, I don't know all about that. I mean, how many geese are we talking about? Doesn't the grass get watered every day? It seems that most of it would get diluted and break down into the soil.

Now if your talking about a deluge or a swarm of geese then maybe we need to look into the environmental impact of forcing such a large flock of geese from what they have apparently decided is a nice fall layover.

Everyone should place nice and consider the only reason the geese stop during their migration to mexico is to allow their young an opportunity to rest their not so fully grown wings.

I mean geesh--at least somebody is immigrating INTO mexico.

An example would be in a small pocket type park near me I count over 85 Canada Geese last Saturday. The same park is used by youth soccer teams for practice during the week.
The dogs do not hurt the geese just chase them away--golf courses are using them too.
As is noted below,many of these geese are not migrating, they have it too good here. laugh.gif

#20 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Aug 31 2007, 01:41 PM) View Post
ya know--I'm certainly gonna say I truly love animals, blah a blah

but, I do remember in highschool the guys playing football and we had a major seagull issue at school.

The sea gulls fell out of the sky one day. Literally.
The school put out an announcement that it's not nice to give alkaselzer to birds.

Ya'd think a bunch of Vikings could handle a few sea gulls and stool pigeons without resorting to learning a few tricks in chemistry class.........

SMom...are you suggestiong...?

#21 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(MrsTuffPaws @ Aug 31 2007, 04:40 PM) View Post
Goose crap isn't really all that bad. According to http://charlesriverw...ot.com/atom.xml.

"As for the goose droppings, why not think of them as nature's own lawn fertilizer? Geese are vegetarians, so it's grass in, grass out. Their s--- doesn't attract flies, is water soluble, and goes right back to the grass itself. A state biologist told me he doesn't recommend it, but you could eat several handfuls of the stuff and it wouldn't hurt you."

That surprises me. I knew kids that swam in the duck pond in SCruz and got salmanella. I got it when I was trying to cut palm fronds down and got spiked by one of the big thorns with bird feces on it. Hmmm...something seems wrong here. I really think that birds carry some bad stuff, right?

#22 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(October15 @ Sep 1 2007, 09:12 AM) View Post
That surprises me. I knew kids that swam in the duck pond in SCruz and got salmanella. I got it when I was trying to cut palm fronds down and got spiked by one of the big thorns with bird feces on it. Hmmm...something seems wrong here. I really think that birds carry some bad stuff, right?

Chances are, the salmonella was caught from reptiles... turtles, lizards or snakes in the pond / palm trees, and not bird poop. It's widely known that handling reptiles, or coming in contact with their poop, can cause salmonellosis. Also, raw eggs could have done it. So don't go playing in abandoned goose nests.

#23 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(MrsTuffPaws @ Sep 1 2007, 09:57 AM) View Post
Chances are, the salmonella was caught from reptiles... turtles, lizards or snakes in the pond / palm trees, and not bird poop. It's widely known that handling reptiles, or coming in contact with their poop, can cause salmonellosis. Also, raw eggs could have done it. So don't go playing in abandoned goose nests.

I'll try and remember that...though it's really going to crash out my social life. The doctor told me it was the bird droppings...and it was the ducks that were expected to have caused the salmonella situation in the pond. But...could have been some kind of confusion based on preconceptions about where that stuff comes on. I'll look it up on line....because everything you read on the Internet is TOTALLY TRUE, right?

#24 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(MrsTuffPaws @ Sep 1 2007, 09:57 AM) View Post

Here's what I found on line which would confirm what was reported with the kids that got it from swimming in the duck/goose pond.

http://64.233.169.10...p...;cd=6&gl=us

When geese live in your pond, swimming pool or nearby lake, parasites that live on the geese will infest the water and climb aboard swimmers, giving them swimmer’s itch. The parasite larvae crawl onto the skin and burrow under it, which leads to a very severe, itchy red rash. The itching will last for up to two weeks, and each time a person gets swimmer’s itch, the symptoms become more severe.
Histoplasmosis is a fungus disease contracted through airborne spores in goose droppings. If geese have been on your lawn for a while, these spores can even infect the soil you garden in. Its symptoms may be anything from a mild influenza to blood abnormalities and fever, or even death. An eye condition has been linked to the goose disease histoplasmosis and can lead to blindness in those who contract it.
Toxoplasmosis is an infection that invades human tissue and can severely damage the central nervous system, especially in babies. Pregnant women are in extreme danger if infected with toxoplasmosis.
Geese carry the bacteria salmonella. People who pick up salmonella bacteria can become seriously ill with diarrhea, vomiting, fever and chills. Salmonella can also affect the blood. Goose salmonella can be spread through goose fecal matter.
If a human touches soil or water that has been tainted with goose droppings, and then touches his or her mouth, that human is at risk for giardia. Giardia symptoms can include cramps, bloating, diarrhea, fatigue and weight loss, and can last for a prolonged amount of time. Children who play near ponds or lakes with geese living nearby are especially at risk for giardia.

#25 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE(October15 @ Sep 1 2007, 09:22 PM) View Post
Here's what I found on line which would confirm what was reported with the kids that got it from swimming in the duck/goose pond.

http://64.233.169.10...p...;cd=6&gl=us

When geese live in your pond, swimming pool or nearby lake, parasites that live on the geese will infest the water and climb aboard swimmers, giving them swimmer’s itch. The parasite larvae crawl onto the skin and burrow under it, which leads to a very severe, itchy red rash. The itching will last for up to two weeks, and each time a person gets swimmer’s itch, the symptoms become more severe.
Histoplasmosis is a fungus disease contracted through airborne spores in goose droppings. If geese have been on your lawn for a while, these spores can even infect the soil you garden in. Its symptoms may be anything from a mild influenza to blood abnormalities and fever, or even death. An eye condition has been linked to the goose disease histoplasmosis and can lead to blindness in those who contract it.
Toxoplasmosis is an infection that invades human tissue and can severely damage the central nervous system, especially in babies. Pregnant women are in extreme danger if infected with toxoplasmosis.
Geese carry the bacteria salmonella. People who pick up salmonella bacteria can become seriously ill with diarrhea, vomiting, fever and chills. Salmonella can also affect the blood. Goose salmonella can be spread through goose fecal matter.
If a human touches soil or water that has been tainted with goose droppings, and then touches his or her mouth, that human is at risk for giardia. Giardia symptoms can include cramps, bloating, diarrhea, fatigue and weight loss, and can last for a prolonged amount of time. Children who play near ponds or lakes with geese living nearby are especially at risk for giardia.

AAAGH! Kill all the geese now! shoot.gif

#26 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:37 AM

you could put some corn on all the basball and softball indfields in town and the geese would come. that way the infields would be slippery and kids wouldn';t get hurt slining into bases.

would make fielding ground balls a little nasty.

#27 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

This is your animal rights whacko agenda at work. Hunting is bad...Animals have feelings and can reason just like people...etc.

Give me a break. In this region,we stopped allowing farmers to burn the rice fields because they HAD to and burning the stalks was the most efficient way of removing stalks from the seasons harvest. Now, the farmers have to keep the fields flooded year round to aid in the breakdown of the hearty rice stalks and it encourages screwed up--if any--waterfowl migration. Now waterfowl can live anywhere they want because there are hundreds and hundreds of miles of habitat.

When I was a kid, seeing a Canadian "honker" was an unusual and astounding sight. If you could get one to come in close enough to shoot, that was the ONLY one you got to shoot because of federally mandated limits. Now, those damn things multiply like rabbits and they are everywhere. Now I don't have to shoot one, I could just thump it with my 5 iron.

Turkeys are a similar issue. At one time they were few and far between, now they are freakin everywhere. Of course nobody cares that turkeys are carnivorous and have decimated the local quail population by eating the bumble bee sized babies as they try to fly from advancing turkeys.

It's funny to me that all of the "antis" out there now (censored) about the very thing they insisted humans protect. What a joke.
We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#28 TomStarling

TomStarling

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

There are a lot of dangers associated with goose poop, folks. In the realm of serious diseases (thanks for mentioning a bunch of them up there), there are ton of diseases that humans can get from geese. You can get some more information at http://www.bird-x.com. Also, their highly acidic droppings can damage property, as well as disrupt delicate ecological balances, causing algal blooms, E. coli outbreaks, and other problems.

Luckily, there are a ton of ways to convince geese to go elsewhere, without ever harming a feather. Dr. Philip Whitford is a Professor of Biology at Capital University in Columbus OH, and has been studying Canada goose behavior and vocal communications since 1979. He holds a PhD in biological sciences in the field of animal behavior, and BS and MS degrees in wildlife management.

His research led to the development of GooseBuster, which plays recordings of actual goose alarm and alert calls. He obtained these calls in nature after nearly 30 years of field research, and they are the only such calls in the world. They have been very effective at repelling geese permanently.

http://www.bird-x.co...ts/gbuster.html

In addition, there are food grade taste aversions like GooseChase, that make any grassy area unpalatable to geese.

http://www.bird-x.co...ducts/goose.htm

On a smaller scale, there are also 3D coyotes and other home solutions. Visit http://www.bird-x.com for more information.

#29 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(TomStarling @ Sep 10 2007, 02:12 PM) View Post
There are a lot of dangers associated with goose poop, folks. In the realm of serious diseases (thanks for mentioning a bunch of them up there), there are ton of diseases that humans can get from geese. You can get some more information at http://www.bird-x.com. Also, their highly acidic droppings can damage property, as well as disrupt delicate ecological balances, causing algal blooms, E. coli outbreaks, and other problems.

Luckily, there are a ton of ways to convince geese to go elsewhere, without ever harming a feather. Dr. Philip Whitford is a Professor of Biology at Capital University in Columbus OH, and has been studying Canada goose behavior and vocal communications since 1979. He holds a PhD in biological sciences in the field of animal behavior, and BS and MS degrees in wildlife management.

His research led to the development of GooseBuster, which plays recordings of actual goose alarm and alert calls. He obtained these calls in nature after nearly 30 years of field research, and they are the only such calls in the world. They have been very effective at repelling geese permanently.

In addition, there are food grade taste aversions like GooseChase, that make any grassy area unpalatable to geese.

On a smaller scale, there are also 3D coyotes and other home solutions. Visit http://www.bird-x.com for more information.

I find it truly amazing that there are people here that can talk more (about) crap than me!

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#30 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(TomStarling @ Sep 10 2007, 02:12 PM) View Post

Or hunters...

We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users