My Cat Has A Weird Drinking Habit

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

Buy the recirculating cat bowls, it's a safe and smart idea not to drink stagnant water, and cats know it!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#17 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

wait a minute....are you all talking about an electrical appliance that keeps water running for a cat? I love cats as much as the next person, but aren't we being encouraged to conserve electricity? to unplug appliances when we aren't using them, etc? I think if a cat is thirsty, they'll drink.

the only way I could think this was a good idea would be if you had an elderly cat that needed to be encouraged to drink more water. Otherwise, wow. we are a really spoiled society.

ps. Mylo, your picture of bush and the easter bunny made me laugh out loud.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#18 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Mar 26 2008, 01:47 PM) View Post
it's a safe and smart idea not to drink stagnant water, and cats know it!

Don't tell our cats that...they seem to prefer stagnant water puddles and stagnant water in my neighbors bird fountain thingy, while the water in their bowl is fresh. beaker.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#19 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Dec 27 2007, 03:03 PM) View Post
Is there anything dogs won't eat or drink?? I'm beginning to wonder...

[attachment=1569:corona.jpg]

I never understood this one with my dogs. When I would fill up their bucket with fresh clean water, they usually came over to drink some of it right away. But if it had rained or my sprinklers had been on recently and their was muddy water available, they would drink that instead of from the 5 gallon bucket.
I would rather be Backpacking

#20 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

My dog has been eating my cat's food

#21 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Mar 26 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post
My dog has been eating my cat's food

My baby keeps trying the same thing...
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#22 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

I've heard that the tap water has a smell to it that cats don't like, due to the chlorine so we are giving my daughters cat bottled water. It seems the chlorine in the tap water is harmful for the cat as well, but I guess it doesn't hurt humans as much??? Oh well, at a buck a gallon, it won't kill us to give the cat bottled water, I guess.

Now as to an aging cat, there can be problems with their kidney's shutting down, if they don't drink enough water, as I understand it. So it's a good idea that they drink plenty of water, if they are eating dry food.

We feed my daughters cat canned food, because the dry food has so many fillers and can be bad for a cat.
Of course, I'm no authority on cats, as we just got this one not too long ago. The dry food is more convenient, but has a lot of cereal in it that can cause allergies. But to keep the cats teeth in good condition, my daughter brushes them. She says if she doesn't, kitty will have to have his teeth cleaned and it costs a lot. Yeah, the cats name is Kitty.

Go ahead and laugh...cause I think it's silly too. But in today's world, our animals are just as important as the rest of our family, so if my daughter wants to brush the cat's teeth....more power to her! I watch and laugh my arsh off! It's funny as Hell to watch!!!!

Oh, and Ed, keep your receipt for that fancy drinking fountain you're going to buy for your cat. She just may not like it. Ours didn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

#23 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:12 PM

Watch out, also, all you fellow cat folks.......for your cats to start drinking lots and lots of water (more than normal). It is one of the main symptoms of kidney failure. I just lost my cat to that on the 8th.

C_V......my dog does that too!! Only it's a very expensive habit as we still have our remaining cat on a special prescription food to help the kidneys!!
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#24 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Mar 26 2008, 03:08 PM) View Post
Don't tell our cats that...they seem to prefer stagnant water puddles and stagnant water in my neighbors bird fountain thingy, while the water in their bowl is fresh. beaker.gif

One of my cats will drink by sticking his paw in water and scooping it into his mouth - like a racoon or a monkey. I've never seen him drink normally by just crouching over a water bowl.

It's the strangest thing I've seen and I have no idea where he picked that up. I don't think it's genetic - at least his brother, one of our other cats, doesn't do that. But I can't imagine it's something he learned to do either. Go fig.

It would be cute, but he's sloppy - so if I leave a glass of water by the bed side at night I have to put a lid on it, or else I'll find the glass half empty with my table and alarm clock all wet in the morning. Mmm... with extra "cat foot" flavoring in my water too. sad.gif
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#25 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(wrabbit @ Mar 26 2008, 08:33 PM) View Post
I've heard that the tap water has a smell to it that cats don't like, due to the chlorine so we are giving my daughters cat bottled water. It seems the chlorine in the tap water is harmful for the cat as well, but I guess it doesn't hurt humans as much??? Oh well, at a buck a gallon, it won't kill us to give the cat bottled water, I guess.

Now as to an aging cat, there can be problems with their kidney's shutting down, if they don't drink enough water, as I understand it. So it's a good idea that they drink plenty of water, if they are eating dry food.

We feed my daughters cat canned food, because the dry food has so many fillers and can be bad for a cat.
Of course, I'm no authority on cats, as we just got this one not too long ago. The dry food is more convenient, but has a lot of cereal in it that can cause allergies. But to keep the cats teeth in good condition, my daughter brushes them. She says if she doesn't, kitty will have to have his teeth cleaned and it costs a lot. Yeah, the cats name is Kitty.

Go ahead and laugh...cause I think it's silly too. But in today's world, our animals are just as important as the rest of our family, so if my daughter wants to brush the cat's teeth....more power to her! I watch and laugh my arsh off! It's funny as Hell to watch!!!!

Oh, and Ed, keep your receipt for that fancy drinking fountain you're going to buy for your cat. She just may not like it. Ours didn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortuneately, if your cat is eating wet food and not exercising his gums and teeth on dry food or ...say..bird bones... your cat is gonna end up with serious dental issues.

Seriously--ask the vet---a lot of vets are encouraging raw meat diets for cats and dogs now. Go figure.

Anywhoooo--I just recently checked out quite a few different types of raw food diets and have come to the conclusion that I would end up paying just about the same or more--on chow for the dog--as I do for 2 humans in the house per month. Ouch***

Dang dog.

Why's he gotta look so cute with his floppy ears and brown eyes?

#26 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Mar 27 2008, 04:46 PM) View Post
Unfortuneately, if your cat is eating wet food and not exercising his gums and teeth on dry food or ...say..bird bones... your cat is gonna end up with serious dental issues.

Seriously--ask the vet---a lot of vets are encouraging raw meat diets for cats and dogs now. Go figure.

Anywhoooo--I just recently checked out quite a few different types of raw food diets and have come to the conclusion that I would end up paying just about the same or more--on chow for the dog--as I do for 2 humans in the house per month. Ouch***

Dang dog.

Why's he gotta look so cute with his floppy ears and brown eyes?

It's a ploy to get you to feed and love him!!!!

A conspiracy, I tell you! All contrived and plotted out to imprison humans to do their will, and enslave them to feed, bath, brush and cater to them for the rest of their lives!

It's absolutely diabolical!!!!

Don't EVER look into the face of a puppy or kitten!!! Run for your life and bar all the windows and bolt all your doors!!!!

We dote on our Kitty, as if she was a family member more important that any of us! We know she is talking to us when she meows and quickly try to find what she wants. We buy her natural bedding, special stainless steel bowls, as the plastic is unhealthy, and read all ingredients on all food. This cat is the master of the house, I tell you! Last week my daughter wanted me to place walking planks all along the ceiling, so Kitty could get up high because that makes her happy!!!! Can you believe that??? She saw a cat owner who had done this all throughout his house, in a magazine. I told her he was mental, and to ignore his insane ideas.
She looked at me like I was the cruelest man in the world. But really, walking plants along the walls????
We already have a Cat tree for her to jump up on! Dang thing cost a mint!

As for feeding a cat canned food, our vet says as long as her gums are stimulated with a tooth brush, she'll be fine. Seriously, we NEVER do anything, but what we don't consult our vet.

Anything to save on those vet bills!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George Orwell

#27 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(wrabbit @ Mar 27 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post
This cat is the master of the house, I tell you!

Dude - you are so wussy pipped smile.gif

One of these days I'll need to share with you my research about how cats came here long ago from outer space to take over the Earth, but fortunately, they landed in Egypt during the reign of the pharoah Topramen, who decreed they were to be worshiped as gods. A whole garden industry of Egyptian cat scuplture-making cropped up as a result. The cats made their humans build a few pyramids and stuff, but after that they pretty much became complacent, developed a taste for tuna, lost track of their original mission, and started to enjoy having their every desire catered to. Which brings us up to the present.

Their descendents still do retain the same mind-control powers over humans as that original crew, as you have found.

It's all in my upcoming book "Cats are from Venus, Dogs are from Mars"
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all

#28 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Mar 27 2008, 07:56 PM) View Post
Dude - you are so wussy pipped smile.gif

One of these days I'll need to share with you my research about how cats came here long ago from outer space to take over the Earth, but fortunately, they landed in Egypt during the reign of the pharoah Topramen, who decreed they were to be worshiped as gods. A whole garden industry of Egyptian cat scuplture-making cropped up as a result. The cats made their humans build a few pyramids and stuff, but after that they pretty much became complacent, developed a taste for tuna, lost track of their original mission, and started to enjoy having their every desire catered to. Which brings us up to the present.

Their descendents still do retain the same mind-control powers over humans as that original crew, as you have found.

It's all in my upcoming book "Cats are from Venus, Dogs are from Mars"

Unfortunately, you are behind the times. The fact is, cats have been watching the History and Science channels and have formed groups, which plan to take earth over in the year 2012.

Their leader, Catonia, has deemed humans unfit to rule the world and rediscovered their superior heritage and now are developing advanced technology to assist them in their reclaiming of the earth as their own.

I've seen my cat go to the window and communicate with a cat outside, which comes around every day.
They use code, and I am presently trying to break it, to see what they are saying.

I've also followed this visiting cat at night and found he gathers with other cats in a meeting place in the park.
If I could learn to speak and understand Catonese, I could better inform the authorities about their plans to take over.

I've tried to alert the FBI, but they refuse to give my story any validity. Can you believe that! They won't listen to me!!!! They just ask me if I've taken my medication!

Oh, I gotta go, my cat is coming into the room.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Orwell

#29 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Mar 27 2008, 04:33 PM) View Post
One of my cats will drink by sticking his paw in water and scooping it into his mouth -

Oh, no. Your cat is related to one of my cats....which means you and I are related....now excuse me while I go look for the nearest bridge to leap from... ohmy.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#30 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Mar 28 2008, 09:11 AM) View Post
Oh, no. Your cat is related to one of my cats....which means you and I are related....now excuse me while I go look for the nearest bridge to leap from... ohmy.gif

Don't jump! At least wait until I get there - we'll do one of them spectacular tandem jumps together smile.gif

Seriously, it really is freaky to watch though - I've never had a cat before that does that, and I've never heard of cats in the wild doing that either. I know they'll bat at fish, but I'd always heard that cats in general - lions all the way down - *hate* getting wet.

I do call his brother (the one that drinks normally) my "little helper monkey" because he kind of looks like one. I guess maybe they've got some primate up their family tree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users