• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFellas

GoodFellas

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests: Great food and even better wine!

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hello- Looking for a sign spinner for 5-6 days a week. Please contact George if interested at 916 357-5566

$10/hr

#2 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

Just be careful.....the city has been regulating this and making the "kids" stop. May want to check with the city before you start this....

#3 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

I've always wondered just how effective those are. I've never gone to a place just because of seeing the spinning sign or twirling arrow.
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#4 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Mar 3 2008, 01:37 PM) View Post
I've always wondered just how effective those are. I've never gone to a place just because of seeing the spinning sign or twirling arrow.

I've never gone in a place from the signs either but on a few occasions the signs alerted me to where a biz is. I could see how the signs might help if your business is not easily viewable from the main street.

On the other hand anyone know of a more embarrassing job?

#5 GoodFellas

GoodFellas

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Mar 3 2008, 01:37 PM) View Post

We have A-frames up at the moment and you would be amazed how much our business has picked up because of the signs! Lots of Intel employees! But looks like the city does not allow the "dancing arrow" so this is a moved point. Thanx anyway...

#6 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(GoodFellas @ Mar 3 2008, 02:09 PM) View Post
But looks like the city does not allow the "dancing arrow" so this is a moved point. Thanx anyway...

Why is that ? It seems like a great job for the kids ( or adults ) and it certainly seems to work.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#7 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(GoodFellas @ Mar 3 2008, 02:09 PM) View Post
We have A-frames up at the moment and you would be amazed how much our business has picked up because of the signs! Lots of Intel employees! But looks like the city does not allow the "dancing arrow" so this is a moved point. Thanx anyway...

By "does not allow" I assume that means "subject to fine if code enforcement has been initiated by being turned in by a competitor".

Which means, its really a "marketing investment". If the fine is less than the amount of business it brings in, it might be worth it.

Posted Image

#8 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Semi off topic... I saw a spinner holding a Supercuts sign yesterday. He had the back-in-style 70's long hair, greasy look going for him. Not exactly the ideal spokesperson.

</OffTopic>

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#9 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Sonny @ Mar 3 2008, 02:01 PM) View Post
I've never gone in a place from the signs either but on a few occasions the signs alerted me to where a biz is. I could see how the signs might help if your business is not easily viewable from the main street.

On the other hand anyone know of a more embarrassing job?

How about crack (censored)?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Mar 3 2008, 02:14 PM) View Post
Why is that ? It seems like a great job for the kids ( or adults ) and it certainly seems to work.

it seems stupid to ban those sign wavers - they seem to be very effective and at some points entertaining

there was a very lively kid with a sign on Riley at Wales for a while with a Round Table Pizza sign - he was really into it, jumping all over and waving it - it was pretty funny but best of all - always caused for smiles and thumbs up when we went by him

now what the heck is wrong with that? I think sign wavers are good for biz and great for giving kids a pretty good job at 10 bucks an hour - that kind of good pay is hard for kids to find these days

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

A friend of mine thinks those sign wavers are a dangerous distraction for motorists. I'm inclined to agree with him.

#12 GoodFellas

GoodFellas

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Mar 3 2008, 02:14 PM) View Post

City of Folsom does not allow because its a "distraction" and may cause an accident. All those kids you see dancing on corners are doing it without city permission (Folsom). City said they are fining companies. So much for my bikini wearing girls dancing on corners smile.gif

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

I, too, have never gone to a business because of a sign waver. In fact, most sign wavers are so busy spinning and twisting those signs that you can't even read them if you wanted to. One time I saw a kid riding his sign like a horse! Funny, yeah... but I couldn't read the sign. So what's the point?
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#14 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Anybody see the lively Statue of Liberty costume guy? He really got into his sign dancing too.......though I haven't seen him in a few weeks. I tend to agree that they are a distraction to motorists also.
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#15 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

I love the sign twirlers! I love to watch them, and it makes the business name stay in my head for a while.

If I am hungry, and I see a sign twirler, I am more likely to go THERE, because now it is in my head. eat.gif
<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users