#1 dist54

dist54

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

Two grand slams lift Rangers over Angels
by Matt Long
A grand slam is a rare occurrence. Two in one game is unheard of.

At Kuntz Field in Folsom last Wednesday, the Folsom American Major Rangers defeated the Angels 12-2 in a game in which the Rangers hit grand slams in consecutive innings.

Both teams will represent Folsom American this week in the TOC. With the win, the Rangers are Folsom American’s ‘A’ team representative, while the Angels are the ‘B’ team.

The Angels, who entered the tournament at the sixth seed out of six teams, battled their way through the bracket to reach the championship game. Managed by Joe Watson, the Angels knocked off the top-seeded Rangers the previous day, 16-6 in five innings, before the Rangers returned the favor the next day in four innings.

With the game tied at two, Michael Dermenjian hit the first grand slam to put the Rangers up for good, 6-2. In the next inning, Dylan Hackett-Andrade hit the other to put his team up 10-2.

“Michael’s was his fifth home run of the season and it was a bomb to left-centerfield,” Rangers Manager Greg Robertson said. “Dylan’s was more of a laser; I don’t think it was more than 30 feet off the ground and went to right-centerfield.

“I’ve been involved with little league baseball in Folsom for 13 years and I’ve never seen two grand slams in a game. It’s a pretty remarkable feat.”

Michael’s mom, Sally, thought the feat was neat too.

“First Michael hit one and then his little buddy Dylan hit one,” Sally said. “Those two sort of feed off each other.”

With his team leading 11-2, Hackett-Andrade came up to bat in the fourth inning with the bases loaded again. This time he got the game-winning hit to end the game.

On 6/22/11 at 11:42 AM, dist54 wrote:
What this article fails to mention is that after the game Ranger Manager Robertson sought out the pitcher who gave up the two grand slams and sarcastically thanked him for giving up the two grand slams, which brought the player to tears. This was done on the field within earshot of players from both teams. Robertson admitted to the Angels Manager that he had made the comment and defiantly refused to apologize to the player. To make matters worse, the Folsom American Little League Board of Directors held a crackerjack Conduct Review Committee on the incident (note: Robertson is also a board member) and their resolution was to have Robertson apologize (which would be disingenuous) as punishment. It was agreed upon by President Rick Brausch and the Angels Manager that the apology would take place after the Angel's TOC game Monday night with President Brausch present. After the game had ended, the Angel Manager received a text from President Brausch stating that Manager Robertson would not be showing up for the apology.

Unfortunately, this kind of behavior has become acceptable within Folsom American Little League and the leadership has caused many talented players and good families to leave the league and play elsewhere. The board also feels that Manager Robertson is fit to Manage the 11 year old All-Star team and represent Folsom.

Congratulations Ranger Players on a great season! Hopefully you will grow up to be better sportsmen and role models than your coaches.

On 6/22/11 at 01:33 PM, itsallbb wrote:
I also heard about this story and it speaks volumes about the FALL leadership as a whole. The people who handle this type of problem are suppose to be impartial and fair minded. My understanding is that Rick Brausch (the current President) has packed the board with family members and friends. They have rewritten the Bylaws so that He and his wife and oldest daughter now sit in review of offending managers, parents and players. How fair and independent this you possibly be? Can someone tell me how a daughter that lives at home is possibly going to speak out against her parents? The length and scope of the collusion that is taking place at FALL is boarderline criminal. The Ranger coaching staff has two FALL board officers -- one is the vice president of divisions and the other is the tresurer. Did anyone think that a fair and just process was going to take place in regards to the Rangers conduct? My understanding is not only nothing will be done but both these offenders have been promoted to All Star coaching status. Clearly, FALL has taken a turn to the darkside. The district 54 representetive-Bob Fogle-- is also very friendly with the Brausch's -- as Joanne Brausch, the current VP of operations at FALL, has worked for the district in the past. You simply will not see any action at the district level !

On 6/22/11 at 06:37 PM, jingjing88 wrote:
I saw this game and the event after. The Angels had to claw their way out of the loser bracket and win game after game, night after night before meeting up with the Rangers for Game 2. The Angels were fresh out of pitchers. The pitcher that night was pretty brave to stay up there with so many people watching him struggle. I felt bad for him. It was plain wicked for a coach to make fun of a kid like that. This sounds just like a kiddie baseball movie where the smug winning team coach tries to make himself feel even better by adding insult to injury. Has FALL been reduced to that? After all this, I can't believe they let this coach manage the city's ALL STAR team! I think this is a big embarrassment to Folsom. Something stinks in Folsom and it aint the water treatment plant.

I agree with dist54, the players on the Rangers deserve congratulations. A home run is a home run and shouldn't be tarnished by the actions of an adult who should know better. Let's hope that the swamp of FALL gets drained and the kids become the focus and the purpose once again.

On 6/22/11 at 07:29 PM, JohnnyP wrote:
I heard rumors the Board was run like a kingdom. Wow! Somebody also told me one family runs the whole board and the rest of them are all connected too. Is that really true??? How could they ever make a fair decision??? That Robertson dude should be given a pink slip and sent packing. Who would do something like that???? It is crap like this that eats away at the heart and soul of America.

#2 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

It is too bad an incident like this happened and just shows how youth sports can be so damaging to some children. The coach doesn't sound like he has any sportsmanship and wouldn't be a coach I'd like for my children as I'd like my kids to learn how to be graceful winners and losers.

#3 Tas Cammara

Tas Cammara

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

What a piece of $%^&! I would hope the other parents don't support this.

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

Many good kids are leaving FALL for traveling leagues, this would appear to be a big reason why.

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

It is too bad an incident like this happened and just shows how youth sports can be so damaging to some children. The coach doesn't sound like he has any sportsmanship and wouldn't be a coach I'd like for my children as I'd like my kids to learn how to be graceful winners and losers.

+1000

As an aside, I'm trying to figure out how four "different" members posted to one thread all as an initial single post.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#6 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

+1000

As an aside, I'm trying to figure out how four "different" members posted to one thread all as an initial single post.

They are reader comments on the Folsom Telegraph website

http://folsomtelegraph.com/detail/181541.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=two+grand+slams&user_id=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&event_ts_to=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=

#7 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

It is too bad an incident like this happened and just shows how youth sports can be so damaging to some children.

Youth sports are not damaging to kids. Bad coaches and parents are... Youth sports can offer a lot of benefits both socially and physically that far outweigh these bad apples that make the news from time to time.

If you have kids that want to participate in youth sports please dont deny them the opportunity because of stories like this.

#8 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

Youth sports are not damaging to kids. Bad coaches and parents are... Youth sports can offer a lot of benefits both socially and physically that far outweigh these bad apples that make the news from time to time.

If you have kids that want to participate in youth sports please dont deny them the opportunity because of stories like this.

+1. I agree. While sometimes sports is prioritized inappropriately over other activities, in this case it's not the activity but the participants (ie - the coach) who made it a bad experience.

Hopefully the kids being coached by this person understand the appalling nature of this behavior. Probably drives a Hummer. :)

#9 Tas Cammara

Tas Cammara

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

If his behaviour is truly discouraged, the parents will request to not have their kids on his team in the future-that would certainly send a message to the league and the request could not be denied.

I agree to not let this person discourage little league participation.

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

They are reader comments on the Folsom Telegraph website

http://folsomtelegraph.com/detail/181541.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=two+grand+slams&user_id=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&event_ts_to=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=

Ah, thanks for clarifying. :)
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

deleteme, thought better of it
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#12 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

You're absolutely right. It was late when I wrote my response. What you have written is what I actually intended. :wub:

and sells real estate for Folsom Lake Realty? :P

+1. I agree. While sometimes sports is prioritized inappropriately over other activities, in this case it's not the activity but the participants (ie - the coach) who made it a bad experience.

Hopefully the kids being coached by this person understand the appalling nature of this behavior. Probably drives a Hummer. :)

#13 Tas Cammara

Tas Cammara

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

You're absolutely right. It was late when I wrote my response. What you have written is what I actually intended. :wub:

and sells real estate for Folsom Lake Realty? :P

The same Hummer that speeds, runs stop signs and cuts people off....?
Makes sense now.

#14 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

The same Hummer that speeds, runs stop signs and cuts people off....?
Makes sense now.

I don't think the Rangers' coach and the Folsom Lake Realty Hummer driver are really the same person. However, it sure seems that they exhibit similar personality traits.... just sayin'

#15 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

Many years ago, my son gave up baseball in EG. As a 4 year coach down there, I could not believe the behavior of both the parents and the coaches. My last year, 2 coaches got suspended (at least there was some consequence) for fighting at a game....for 8 year olds.
Since then I have been involved in basketball as a co-coach and coach, and soccer and cheer as an involved parent. I am kind of glad I am out of that coaching cycle due to the obnoxious parents and ego maniacal coaches (although I do miss it).

I have had parents tell me how they were working on circle change ups with their 7 year old (who couldn't throw a strike).
I have had a parent approach me 2 minutes before the championship game, and ask me when I was going to put his son at point guard, despite not having spent any time there during the season. Then proceed to tell me why I should until I calmly said he was a great ball handler but a defensive liability and had too many turnovers... :P
I have seen a ref threaten to clear the gymnasium for unruly parents.
I have seen a child, in exasperation, stop mid court and tell his dad to shut up. His dad coached from the seats non-stop, despite being warned repeatedly.
I have had a parent scream all game long at the ref, and when I said something to her about it, she turned on me and told me not to get up in her face.
I have seen parents who's entire sense of self seems to hang on a 6 year old kicking a ball into a net.

On the other hand, I have seen the joy in the face of a kid struggling to get his first base hit when he finally got there.
I have had parents ask me if I was trained to work with autistic children after working with their child.
I have seen kids blossom under excellent coaches.
I have had my game photos become treasures for both kids and parents.
And I have fond memories of watching my children grow as athletes, while still remembering to enjoy and respect the game, their coaches and their competition.
That is what coaches like the one above lose sight of...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users