187 replies to this topic

#1 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

So this morning as I'm riding my motorcycle to work some a-hole decides to squeeze me in while I'm lane splitting. Now, I'm very safe and conservative while lane splitting, meaning I don't blow through the middle of a pack of cars at 50 mph. Anyway, I hit his tire as I squeazed through and he got really pissed and tried to chase me. Why? How do you all feel about lane splitters and do they upset you enough to try and assault them with a deadly weapon?

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

I hate lane splitting and think it's extremely unsafe. However, it is legal and I'd never retaliate in any way toward someone who did split lanes.

In the incident you described, if the other driver squeezed you in, why do you articulate it as you hitting his tire? Didn't his tire hit you as he commenced this aggressive move?
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

He's an idiot. The only time i hate lane splitters is whey they blow by us going fast and loud. Very dangerous. The noise even scares me because I am not prepared for it. If it were my mother-in-law she would have caused an accident out of fear by vearing into the next lane without looking (instant reaction to the noise).
What do I care if some person glides up between cars at an intersection? Unless he is going to the same place I am and he gets the last one of what ever it is I want because he lane split on me. Then I would probably chase him too.
Or I would hire our govenor to do it

#4 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Feb 29 2008, 11:53 AM) View Post
I hate lane splitting and think it's extremely unsafe. However, it is legal and I'd never retaliate in any way toward someone who did split lanes.

In the incident you described, if the other driver squeezed you in, why do you articulate it as you hitting his tire? Didn't his tire hit you as he commenced this aggressive move?

It's all in how you word it. Technically because he was almost stopped and turned his tire toward me to cut me off. His tire was sticking out and my footpeg hit it.

Why do you think it is unsafe?

#5 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

I have no problem with it, and generally move over a bit to give someone more room if I see them coming. As for the road rage guy, if it wasn't you, he'd probably find some other excuse to get po'd at someone.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 11:55 AM) View Post
It's all in how you word it. Technically because he was almost stopped and turned his tire toward me to cut me off. His tire was sticking out and my footpeg hit it.

Because in many instances, particularly in busy traffic, the motorcycle isn 't visible until it is roaring up and past the driver of a car, leaving the car driver very little if no time to react. I've had motorcycles do this to me when the road curved and traffic is backed up (on the straight and narrow you can see and anticipate the motorcyclist who is moving up between lanes). As a driver, I'm counting on what I can see to plan my moves and predict what others will do. I cannot plan for what I cannot see. I've been in situations in which the road curves, and I'm signaling and moving to change lanes, and I see no motorcycle behind me (but cannot tell one is approaching because of the curve and other vehicle traffic)... but then as I'm changing lanes one whips up out of nowhere and splits lanes in the direction I'm moving toward.

As MSgt has point out, it is often really noisy and scary as well. I sometimes wonder how many accidents lane splitters cause because of scaring other drivers and forcing them to take last-minute actions; and of course, the lane splitters are down the road and gone, perhaps never even knowing they caused an accident.

I am sure some motorcyclists use reasonable care and caution when they split lanes, but too many don't, and I do believe it should be illegal.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#7 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 11:55 AM) View Post

If you were that close to his car you were too close to his car.

And like others have mentioned, the sudden noise and sight of someone going by their elbow that close just to get ahead is not polite. Occasionally I like to hang my arm out the window at random times while waiting at a light.

But thanks for asking. At least you care.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#8 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(Warren G @ Feb 29 2008, 12:09 PM) View Post
If you were that close to his car you were too close to his car.

And like others have mentioned, the sudden noise and sight of someone going by their elbow that close just to get ahead is not polite. Occasionally I like to hang my arm out the window at random times while waiting at a light.

But thanks for asking. At least you care.

It was either hit his tire or run down the entire side of the car next to me. I'll take the tire. If I hit your arm because it's hanging out the window then theoretically I would also hit your mirror, which would put me too close to your car, so I wouldn't split.

#9 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 12:12 PM) View Post
It was either hit his tire or run down the entire side of the car next to me. I'll take the tire. If I hit your arm because it's hanging out the window then theoretically I would also hit your mirror, which would put me too close to your car, so I wouldn't split.

Did you have time to stop? If these are your two options, you were probably going too fast. I'm not defending the guy, but if you weren't going very fast, you'd likely had time to just stop and wait.

/just sayin.

For the record, I'm with Resume Lady. I think it's unsafe, but I don't think I'd ever do anything like retaliate.
I'm glad you care, definitely.

#10 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(john @ Feb 29 2008, 12:28 PM) View Post
Did you have time to stop? If these are your two options, you were probably going too fast. I'm not defending the guy, but if you weren't going very fast, you'd likely had time to just stop and wait.

/just sayin.

For the record, I'm with Resume Lady. I think it's unsafe, but I don't think I'd ever do anything like retaliate.
I'm glad you care, definitely.

I was already along side his car when he swerved hard at me. Because of the fact that I had to lean and all of a sudden negotiate a tighter than anticipated area, there was no time to brake. It's was a couple of seconds if not one for reaction time.

#11 BuffaloRon

BuffaloRon

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:37 PM

If there's room, I split, if there isn't, I wait for an opportunity to get around or through traffic. I don't like to ride next to jerks that pinch you off, cut into your lane with little regard for the rider, or purposely creating a dangerous action so I cannot pass, go around, or get in front of him/her. I've seen all kinds to stupid things people will do to bike riders.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of young riders on sport bikes are flat dangerous. They put themselves and everyone around them in risk because they don't ride safely. Generally you'll find that the safer the rider, the longer they've been riding. There are quite a few drivers out there that think they have the right to police our roads and freeways and show motorcycle riders no courtesy. They think they have the right to determine the flow and the speed of traffic, and they are not going to move to another lane regardless of the situation. If you're an experienced rider, you know what I'm talking about.

Like the saying goes: There are two kinds of riders; one's that have been down, and one's that are going to go down.

Keep the sun at your back, the wind in your hair, and your eyes on the horizon...

#12 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

I move over so yall can get by easily. I prefer you don't come near my car so I'll give you as much room as possible.

If you can do it, go for it. Just keep away from me so I don't kill you when I'm not looking.

#13 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

I have a few things to say about lane splitting. One, in my mind there are two types.
There is the red light or stopped freeway traffic where you are making your way to the front of the pack, because when it's time to go, any motorcycle should be able to out accelerate the cars and therefore in no way hinder the traffic that some view as the guy is taking cuts in front of me. The other is the slow traffic lane split, which by law, should only really be done when traffic is moving very slowly and even then, the motorcyclist needs to exercise extreme care and should not be "blowing by" others. One traffic is up to a "flowing" speed, the motorcyclist should resume occupying their own lane space in traffic and go with the flow. As I am a motorcyclist, I'm very familiar with the practice. The only time it bothers me, is usually when a Harley Davidson does it to me and I'm in my sports car and at the front of a redlight.
The Harley takes off puttering slowing me down as I tend to accelerate fairly quickly when the light turns green so I have open cruising room. When a rice burner does and takes off faster than me, it's no problem. So in my mind, if you're going to split lanes to get to the front of the pack. Have the decency to take off quickly so you don't hinder the flow of the automotive world.
I would rather be Backpacking

#14 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 11:46 AM) View Post
So this morning as I'm riding my motorcycle to work some a-hole decides to squeeze me in while I'm lane splitting. Now, I'm very safe and conservative while lane splitting, meaning I don't blow through the middle of a pack of cars at 50 mph. Anyway, I hit his tire as I squeazed through and he got really pissed and tried to chase me. Why? How do you all feel about lane splitters and do they upset you enough to try and assault them with a deadly weapon?

Lemme ask this: WTF is the point of doing it? Does it matter if you are the 10th vehicle in line or do you (motorcycle riders) ALWAYS need to be the first guy from red light to red light? Is that a safety isue? I see most riders do it as a "look what I can do while you're sitting in your car haha" thing. Great, you can speed to the next red light and I'm right behind you again, and again, and again.

I don't know the exact rules of how to properly split lanes but from what I see 99% of the riders aren't doing it properly. I am very surprised, however, that I don't see more accidents from this. I do know that if a guy takes my side mirror off while getting to the front of the line he'll have a Jeep up his arse at the next light.

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#15 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 11:46 AM) View Post

I would love to open my door at just the right moment and send lane splitters flying. I don't only because that would damage my door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users