274 replies to this topic

#1 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

I've been following along with the posts about scooters and went and rode one this afternoon. The A&S Motorcycles salesman was very helpful and let me take it out on the back lot for a test ride...nice since I didn't have any prior experience. I am going to enroll in the Motorcycle Safety Course at Sierra College soon and after teaching summer school I'll have my money to spend. I rode a Piaggio Fly 150 and I think that is just enough power for me. I'll use the scooter to ride to work, the gym, and church. Can I expect to "wheel and deal" or do you buy a scooter at MSRP? I'm 5'4" and currently at 190, but losing to get to 175. Any advice is appreciated since I don't have family or friends that have scooters. Thanks. Jen

#2 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

I have the same ENGINE in my scooter. I love my scooter (Vespa ET4) more then any car I have ever driven!

<3

#3 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

http://www.justgotta...hichscooter.htm

This site is over the moon for Taiwanese brands - Chris may disagree - but their basic advice looks sound.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#4 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE(pet lover @ Jun 1 2008, 10:31 PM) View Post
I've been following along with the posts about scooters and went and rode one this afternoon. The A&S Motorcycles salesman was very helpful and let me take it out on the back lot for a test ride...nice since I didn't have any prior experience. I am going to enroll in the Motorcycle Safety Course at Sierra College soon and after teaching summer school I'll have my money to spend. I rode a Piaggio Fly 150 and I think that is just enough power for me. I'll use the scooter to ride to work, the gym, and church. Can I expect to "wheel and deal" or do you buy a scooter at MSRP? I'm 5'4" and currently at 190, but losing to get to 175. Any advice is appreciated since I don't have family or friends that have scooters. Thanks. Jen

The Fly150 is a perfect scooter if you don't plan on going on the freeway. As my wife said it is the same engine as the one in hers except she has a 190cc kit on it so it's screamin' fast. Piaggio is the same as Vespa so as far as new scooters goes it gets a thumbs up from me. When I was...ummmm 250lbs, my wifes scoot would go 55 mph with me on it. You might be able to wheel and deal a little on out the door price, but where you can really get the good deals is on gear. Get a full face helmet, gloves, riding jacket, etc. I kinda know how A&S works and usually if you pay close to sticker price they will hook you up on gear. GEar can be very expensive...

#5 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jun 1 2008, 11:01 PM) View Post
http://www.justgotta...hichscooter.htm

This site is over the moon for Taiwanese brands - Chris may disagree - but their basic advice looks sound.

I only give the thumbs up on Kymco, not SYM. Other than those two I didn't see much mention of any other Taiwanese brands, but I've only looked at the front page.

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:21 AM

They really like Genuine too.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

#7 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:23 AM

Just for everyones reference: There is a publication from the Bay Area called "Scoot Magazine" The new issue has a 2008 scooter buyers guide that pretty much lists all new scooters with their specs and prices. You can get it at Borders here in Folsom.

#8 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jun 2 2008, 07:21 AM) View Post
They really like Genuine too.

I can only speak for the Stella model that Genuine puts out. It is a quality vintage styled scooter.

#9 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Jun 2 2008, 07:23 AM) View Post
I can only speak for the Stella model that Genuine puts out. It is a quality vintage styled scooter.

I want a PINK Stella! I wish you could find them here!
<3

#10 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:26 AM

Me too but not in pink. 150cc 2-smoke sounds like fun and a half.

Chris, is one of the DR's out behind 20-019 today yours?

#11 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jun 2 2008, 08:26 AM) View Post
Chris, is one of the DR's out behind 20-019 today yours?

What is 20-019?

#12 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

guess not

#13 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jun 2 2008, 08:37 AM) View Post
guess not

What is it?

#14 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:45 AM

it's the building I'm in at the Lazy A Rocket Ranch

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:47 AM

on a similar subject - the scooter that Mike got is really really nice. Helped him unload it from his truck Saturday and was very impressed with what a really nice scooter that is and the color is awesome!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users