#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

From the news in case you have not seen it --

Published: Wednesday, Jul. 24, 2013 - 12:00 am | Page 2B
Last Modified: Wednesday, Jul. 24, 2013 - 6:41 am

A portion of paved trail along Lake Natoma will be closed two days next week for repair work.

A section of trail has lifted and needs to be repaired and repaved. To do the work on the south side of Lake Natoma between Lake Natoma Crossing and the Young Wo Access, the short section of trail needs to be closed.

The work will close the trail Monday and Tuesday.

"This is a heavily used section of trail enjoyed by pedestrians, cyclists and equestrians," said Richard Preston, park superintendent. "We understand that this will be an inconvenience for many of our park visitors. We ask for the public's cooperation in using an alternate route."

The paved trail on the north side of Lake Natoma will be open as an alternate route.

Call The Bee's Bill Lindelof, (916) 321-1079. Follow him on Twitter @Lindelofnews.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.co...s#storylink=cpy

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for posting this.

#3 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Can anyone show on a map exactly which part will be closed?

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Here I figure:

http://goo.gl/maps/BWUIi

There's a nice bump in the middle of a hairpin at the bottom of a hill, which you hit right as you lean the bike from one side to the other, that'd be a great thing for them to fix.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

If you care about Lake Natoma area of the American River,  please grab a copy of the July 9, 2014

Folsom Telegraph and read Page four.     If you want public access to adjoining land (as the Historic District Plan requires and plans), you should really make an effort to learn what laws the council has begun changing.

The trail heaves because of the corporation yard issues and the lack of foundation for that dangerous trail.      Very bad accidents happen there and there is virtually no emergency access from the corp yard nor the Folsom Blvd. entries.

But if you like it there, take a hard look at the Telegraph letter about the south edge of the corp yard becoming dense private multi-housing AND commercial.

#6 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Here I figure:

http://goo.gl/maps/BWUIi

There's a nice bump in the middle of a hairpin at the bottom of a hill, which you hit right as you lean the bike from one side to the other, that'd be a great thing for them to fix.

Nice map!  BTW, if one happens to be walking or running (or even trying to get somewhere relatively quickly by bike), one might find the alternate route proposed by the State Parks superintendent a bit excessive (an 11-mile detour for a half-mile path closure).  The much more reasonable detour (described westbound) is through the Preserve via the Leidesdorff Lid, sidewalk along the west side of the Folsom Blvd. sound wall, the western extension of Sutter Street, a very short jog left on Forrest Street, and Young Wo Circle (all shown on Darth's map). In conjunction with the portion of the Lake Natoma trail to be closed, it's a popular walking loop for the neighborhood, and a few bicyclists use it as well (perhaps to avoid that bad spot on the path).  Or, if you are walking or running, there is a hiking trail parallel to this entire section closer to the lake shore (you can bike it, too, but there are steps). 

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Tony, please.  that neighborhood should not become a part of, or a short cut for, the bike trail.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#8 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Why?

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

because neighborhoods aren't equipped to be part of a major bike trail.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#10 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

This post was originally dated last July.  I don't think the detour applies anymore.

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#11 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

This post was originally dated last July.  I don't think the detour applies anymore.

Excellent point!  I was wondering because I go through there almost every day and could picture the new patch, and not where there was a particular problem.

#12 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

because neighborhoods aren't equipped to be part of a major bike trail.

Don't worry, the neighborhood will never compete with the bike trail for users, and it certainly wasn't overrun when they did the repairs.

But really, say all of the bike and pedestrian traffic from the Lake Natoma Trail went through the Preserve. Other than the sidewalk by the van Cleafs, which I agree would be a problem being so narrow, what would be the problem. Motorists in the neighborhood might actually slow down, making everyone happy (except for some of the impatient motorists).  The neighborhood is actually perfectly equipped for lots of bike traffic, since the streets carry only local traffic. A fair number of cyclists already use Forrest and Young Wo to access the bike path.  I don't see a down side, I also don't, as I said, see a.the neighborhood being overrun by cyclists any time soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users