• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Some highlights from the article: http://www.bizjourna...l.html?page=all

Folsom’s big jump in growth across Highway 50 is nearing the takeoff point, with the City Council expected to adopt a development agreement next month with a passel of developers planning to build.

Beginning with more than 2,000 homes currently going through city processing, the city is expected to grow by 10,300 homes south of the freeway, though Miller said because the total plan area includes more retail than it will probably need, he expected the final residential development number to be closer to 11,000.

The entire area will also have a Mello-Roos structure for paying for such improvements.

“What they’ll have is actually better than what we have on the north side of the city,” Miller said. “North of 50, we couldn't charge enough to completely build out the park system.”

So far, The New Home Co., with 845 homes; Westland Properties, with 800 homes; andGenCorp, with about another 800, are likely to be the first to build structures, though that won’t happen until late 2016 or early the following year, Miller said.

“The city’s already been very responsible about growth, and this is a logical direction to go,” he said. “I think it’s actually a historic action by the city council because it’s the culmination of all this infrastructure planning.”

Not sure about GenCorp, but I know The New Home Co makes all those squished together homes with really small lots. 

I love driving through those rolling hills on my way home from EDH, and I will be very sad to see the views of wide open pasture lands change to development. I sure hope they make it nice. 

Here's more details: http://ftp.folsom.ca...-DEIS_DRAFT.pdf

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

I am very sad to lose all that beautiful pasture land. It seems like we are getting further and further away from our rural roots. Since my daughter rides horses, I hate to see the continued disappearance of land where it would be feasible to build stables and/or trails.

Plus, I'm still not understanding just what water these people are going to be drinking???

#3 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

Besides being sad about the imminent sprawl, and still being angry at how S50 was pushed through by first tricking voters and then not soliciting real public input on whether to develop the land at all, I am also worried that my house value will depreciate thanks to the fresh glut of new homes, and I am dismayed at the inevitable traffic snarl in the general area of E. Bidwell and Hwy 50.  So I guess I'm sad, angry, worried, and dismayed.  Not quite the same enthusiasm as the city council members (aka my representatives) and developers have.

#4 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

Where's the water?????

#5 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Goodbye home values, it was nice knowing you while it lasted before city leaders and greedy developers decided to pave over our remaining open space paradise and over build our once small beautiful rural community.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#6 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

If all of us are against it, who is supporting this development?

#7 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Where's the water?????

The water for S50 is the gap between the pre-restriction and the current restriction level we are at now. The water use we are allowed now will become the new normal even in the really wet years. The water we are saving will be sent to the new S50 development. 

#8 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

The water for S50 is the gap between the pre-restriction and the current restriction level we are at now. The water use we are allowed now will become the new normal even in the really wet years. The water we are saving will be sent to the new S50 development. 

Is this fact or speculation?

Are you saying we will never be allowed more than 2 days of watering, ever again?  Even in wet years? 

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

Is this fact or speculation?

Are you saying we will never be allowed more than 2 days of watering, ever again?  Even in wet years? 

When the city put forward Measure W a lot of people voted for it because it was promised South of 50 would have to find their own water supply and not squeeze it out of this side of 50.  They did find a new water supply.  The problem was it was going to cost about $250 million to get the water to the land.  Instead, we are selling them our state-mandated 20 percent conserved water.  That is how they got around Measure W because they consider it "new water" even thought it is coming from this side of 50.

I'm wondering what the tax bills will look like for S50 with all the fees.

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

The city of Folsom, the mayor and city council told us all along that the water north of 50 would stay north of 50.

They really pulled the wool over all of our eyes and cheated all of us.

Can't say it much more clearly than this.  They flat lied to all of us.

They try to get around it with all of their BS but it just doesn't work.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#11 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

We have to stop electing the same people over and over. I'm considering running for council this year. We can't expect change if we don't create some ourselves.

#12 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Let us know what we can do to help.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#13 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

I wonder if there is cause for a class action suit against the city for their actions deeming "projected savings" as a new water source. Hmm, anybody remember Congress pulling the same crud by deeming something passed so they wouldn't have to vote on it? Shady politics at best.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#14 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

I wonder if there is cause for a class action suit against the city for their actions deeming "projected savings" as a new water source. Hmm, anybody remember Congress pulling the same crud by deeming something passed so they wouldn't have to vote on it? Shady politics at best.

The problem is, they will use the, "If we don't use it S50, then we'll lose it" argument, which, as best as I can tell is not what the state law says.  You can bet, if pushed, the state law will be amended to say that.

#15 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

We have to stop electing the same people over and over. I'm considering running for council this year. We can't expect change if we don't create some ourselves.

You can count on my help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users