17 replies to this topic

#1 31flies

31flies

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

This will be a long post but I think it will be worth reading for anyone needing AC help.

I've been reading all sorts of reviews of different HVAC companies on the forums here. It seems to me that it's all about the personality of the person who has showed up to do repairs. If they are friendly and don't deliver any really devastating news I think we all tend to think they are great. These forums recently sent me to AC Girl and Ray O Cook. Both were out at the house. Both were very friendly. AC Girl was here 22 minutes and charged $205 to replace an $8 capacitor. Next day it was the compressor that went out. Had Ray O Cook out to confirm the diagnosis and decided to replace the all-in-one heat pump/AC with a brand new one.

Ray O Cook, BTW, has a staggeringly high Angie's List rating (A+.) Again, I think it's because they are friendly. They quoted us a little over $11,000 for a 4-ton, 14 SEER rating unit. The brand they use is Ruud, which is top of the line. Had the Costco referral out (Sierra Pacific, also A+ on Angie's List) who quoted us $12,000 for a 5-ton, 14 SEER rating Lennox (not quite as good of a product as Ruud.) Here's where it gets good...

Finally called an independent licensed and bonded guy who works alone with one helper and who was highly recommended by a friend of ours. He will be installing a 5-ton, 14 SEER rating brand new Ruud unit for $5500. He said flat-out that the unit costs him $3500 and he'll pocket $1500 for the days work and that's plenty for him. So the math is simple: Ray O Cook and Sierra were going to pocket between 7-9K for a couple guys to do a days work. 

This guy is straight-up 100% honest. He is the real deal. We have had just about every company out here in the past 5 years and have always felt abused and we are SO happy we found him! It is such a relief to KNOW you're not getting ripped off. I could not refer anyone more strongly than him, and we are excited to spread the word. The HVAC industry is notorious for fraud, he even told us all about it...look no further for HVAC repair. You will NEVER get ripped off by Stan Martin (Martin Heating & Air Conditioning.) WHAT A RELIEF TO HAVE FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE!!!! His number is (530) 272-7725. 

#2 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

When replacing your AC, make sure it is right-sized for your home.  Too little tonnage, and it will take forever, if at all, to cool down your place.  Too much, and the unit will cycle on/off too often, will not remove enough humidity from the air, and could even ice up the evaporator coils.  The correct size depends on many factors: age of home, insulation, air infiltration, exposure, number of bathrooms, number of occupants, etc.  I'm not an AC expert, so I can't tell you what you should get.  

Here is some info on selecting the proper tonnage:  http://apps1.eere.en...ds_20110428.pdf  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#3 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

Also make sure that your contractor tests your ducts for leakage. Not only is it code, and not doing so could haunt you later when you go to sell your house, but it makes big sense. Prior to the HERS rating being mandatory, the average leakage found in ducts in CA for 47% (the average). If I'm going to pay to condition the air, I want it delivered to my house and not to my attic.

#4 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Wow, $205 for an $8 capacitor!  Gotta love that...  I guess I'm in the wrong line of work.

Going to be in the market for a new unit soon so appreciate the heads up.   It's always good to keep these guys honest.  If exposing them on a forum is what it takes, so be it...

Would you mind sharing your home's square footage?

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

Let us know how it works out after the unit is installed.  That will be the true test.  And hope you get it in before the upcoming heat wave that starts on Sunday!

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

This seems like a perfect chance for the OP to start their own HVAC business since it's apparently easy to do and all you have to do is over-charge people. 

#7 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

This seems like a perfect chance for the OP to start their own HVAC business since it's apparently easy to do and all you have to do is over-charge people. 

Well, you do have to get your training and licensing first.

But the worst part, and why I will never become and HVAC technician: you'll have to work inside plenty of hot dusty attics.  I'd definitely overcharge just for having to do that :)

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#8 31flies

31flies

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Unit has been in a couple weeks now...working great. Square footage is 3100 but we had him cap off upstairs vents and focus the air downstairs since one unit was never enough for the whole house anyway and we weren't prepared to buy a second one right now...so it's probably covering about 2500 square feet downstairs. 

Stan was telling us that some of these companies have 20 or 30 guys out there, all those trucks, all that insurance, and all that advertising to pay for...someone has to pay for those expenses so naturally they pass those costs on to their customers. NOT ME ANYMORE!!! Haha. 

#9 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Unit has been in a couple weeks now...working great. Square footage is 3100 but we had him cap off upstairs vents and focus the air downstairs since one unit was never enough for the whole house anyway and we weren't prepared to buy a second one right now...so it's probably covering about 2500 square feet downstairs. 

Stan was telling us that some of these companies have 20 or 30 guys out there, all those trucks, all that insurance, and all that advertising to pay for...someone has to pay for those expenses so naturally they pass those costs on to their customers. NOT ME ANYMORE!!! Haha. 

Glad your unit is working out great.     I have horror stories about AC techs coming to the house.   Years ago at my starter home in Sacramento our AC unit Compressor stopped running.  We were in the middle of a heat wave and my family were sleeping on the family room floor.   Got a referral for someone that could look at the unit.......the guy came over and said he will fix it for $200.00 cash.  Thinking it was sleazy I asked him for a work order to first to tell me the problem.    He said he would not and said "we are in demand right now".  I looked over at the AC unit and it was apart.    This guy saw my new born son and my families' dilemma.   I told him to please leave.   I looked over again to the taken apart unit so  retrieved my tools  and started  trouble shooting.  Within 5 minutes I discovered the issue.....the certain GE compressor had it's own ceramic fuse hidden behind a metal plate.    Immediately drove to a higher end specialty appliance supply got the fuse and spares  (48 cents each).  Installed and the unit fired up.

Since then I service my home AC units every year myself (WHICH WE ALL CAN DO)!   

Make sure you wash the unit's outside condensers every year.       They get dust on them which Restrict temperature transfer.   Home depot or Lowe's sell a solution you can put a a home pump sprayer.     Also get the leaves out from the bottom of the unit to promote air flow. 

Clean the evaporator coils inside the unit in the house's heater/AC closet.   Those get pet hair and dust on them.   You should be able to get to the evaporator  by removing a few sheet metal panels from the inside unit.    I use a vacuum cleaner long nozzle with brush to get in the tight space.    

Going back to the outside unit,  make sure you oil the electric fan motor once in a while.   Some are already sealed but most have a plug that pulls out.

If the motor starts making noise or has play in the shaft you can nurse it awhile but it will need to be replaced.    You will notice your higher utility bill if your motor has this issue.    I replaced the fan motor on my Lexington Hills home with a new motor from Ebay for $40.00!     The local AC vendors wanted over $200.00            

If you want to know if your AC is working well.....measure the temperature in the room.    Then put a temperature sensor to the room output vent while the AC is running.    If there is a 20 F degree difference,    your unit is working well.  Than smile.

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

So is it hot upstairs when you go up at night? I would imagine it's hard to cool down when it's this hot. We're just under 3,000 sq.ft. and the best the one unit that came with the house could do was 90 degrees upstairs; no can do. We put in a second unit years ago and it's been great.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

Glad your unit is working out great.     I have horror stories about AC techs coming to the house.   Years ago at my starter home in Sacramento our AC unit Compressor stopped running.  We were in the middle of a heat wave and my family were sleeping on the family room floor.   Got a referral to someone that could look at the unit.......the guy came over and said he will fix it for $200.00 cash.  Thinking it was sleazy I asked him for a work order to first to tell me the problem.    He said he would not and said "we are in demand right now".  I looked over at the AC unit and it was apart.    This guy saw my new born son and my families' dilemma.   I told him to please leave.   I looked over again to the taken apart unit so  retrieved my tools  and started  trouble shooting.  Within 5 minutes I discovered the issue.....the certain GE compressor had it's own ceramic fuse hidden behind a metal plate.    Immediately drove to a higher end specialty appliance supply got the fuse and spares  (48 cents each).  Installed and the unit fired up.

Since then I service my home AC units every year myself (WHICH WE ALL CAN DO)!   

Make sure you wash the unit's outside condensers every year.       They get dust on them which Restrict temperature transfer.   Home depot or Lowe's sell a solution you can put a a home pump sprayer.     Also get the leaves out from the bottom of the unit to promote air flow. 

Clean the evaporator coils inside the unit in the house's heater/AC closet.   Those get pet hair and dust on them.   You should be able to get to the evaporator  by removing a few sheet metal panels from the inside unit.    I use a vacuum cleaner long nozzle with brush to get in the tight space.    

Going back to the outside unit,  make sure you oil the electric fan motor once in a while.   Some are already sealed but most have a plug that pulls out.

If the motor starts making noise or has play in the shaft you can nurse it awhile but it will need to be replaced.    You will notice your higher utility bill if your motor has this issue.    I replaced the fan motor on my Lexington Hills home with a new motor from Ebay for $40.00!     The local AC vendors wanted over $200.00            

If you want to know if your AC is working well.....measure the temperature in the room.    Then put a temperature sensor to the room output vent while the AC is running.    If there is a 20 F degree difference,    your unit is working well.  Than smile.

Can I hire you? as a fellow Folsom-ite? :)

#12 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

So is it hot upstairs when you go up at night? I would imagine it's hard to cool down when it's this hot. We're just under 3,000 sq.ft. and the best the one unit that came with the house could do was 90 degrees upstairs; no can do. We put in a second unit years ago and it's been great.

So does this mean you replaced the original or that you have a second unit? Like two units at the same time?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#13 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Can I hire you? as a fellow Folsom-ite? :)

Do not have a HVAC license so I cannot work on another person's home AC unit. But the above independent refer could probably give a yearly tune up.

Home repairs is one of my Hobbies and I try to share information to save $ for everyone.

#14 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

We've had a fiasco but but I'm not going to tar the guy who did it since he's honored his warranty.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#15 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Maybe you could teach us a class? We could pay with food, beer, etc.? :)

Do not have a HVAC license so I cannot work on another person's home AC unit. But the above independent refer could probably give a yearly tune up.

Home repairs is one of my Hobbies and I try to share information to save $ for everyone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HVAC, AC repair, heating and air

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users