#16 Kermitlover

Kermitlover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Apr 19 2007, 10:55 AM) View Post
I know there is a local lab rescue society. They set up a table outside Petsmart just last Sunday.
Call the store and find out more or when they'll be back.

Just missed them...I will call. Thanks!

#17 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

Please feel ZERO guilt about purchasing a dog, rather than adopting from a local shelter. You have to live with this animal in your house, and you have every right to know its entire history. Especially with a toddler at home. A confrontation between a family dog and your child is the absolute last thing on earth any parent would expose their child to. (ok, maybe not the LAST thing... but pretty darn close).

Now, I think $1800 is completely rediculous for a mixbreed dog. Call it what you want, its a mix. And its a mix of 2 fairly common breeds. Maybe the breeder feeds their puppies gold flakes instead of kibble, I don't know. But I would hazard a guess that you could find a dog of equal quality for less than 1/3 to 1/2 that amount. But. Even at that, if you feel this is the dog for you, you should have no guilt about paying that money either

Just please, train him(her) properly. The time and expense you put into its first year of life in terms of proper training and handling will return itself many times over the life of the dog. It sounds as if you are already on that track, I just wanted to reiterate the point smile.gif

Happy hunting.

Posted Image

#18 Kermitlover

Kermitlover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

OK...I am still looking at breeds and narrowing my list down...anybody have experience with Beagles, any one have one?...are they good with kids/cats? Are they hyper (active is ok but hyper not)? Since they are "Hunting" dogs,do they bark too much? Yes..I do understand that all dogs are different but these are just general questions.Thanks for opinions!

#19 Rozlab

Rozlab

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

If you are interested in a Labrador, I am the local area rep for Central California Labrador Retriever Rescue. Our web site is www.cc-labrescue.org Click on available dogs and you can see who we have right now. Web site changes on Sat., so what you see may be a little out of date. We accept owner surrenders, labs that wind up at SPCA and any/all of the shelters from the Nevada border down to Merced.

We are at the Folsom PS the first and third Sunday of every month from 11-3. We charge $225.00 for the adoption fee. This includes spay/neuter, DHLPP, rabies, fecal float, heartworm test and micro-chip. All dogs are placed on a trial basis. If for any reason the dog does not work out for you, we take our dogs back. I will be evaluating one of our alumni tomorrow. The family is moving south and the apt. will not accept "big" dogs. Duke is a yellow male, 2 yrs. approx. 65#. He is excellent with small children and other dogs. He may be too large for you, I don't know. But he is a wonderful family dog.

Please feel free to call me or check out our web page. I am happy to answer any questions.

Roz

QUOTE(vlogix @ Apr 19 2007, 12:30 PM) View Post
Please feel ZERO guilt about purchasing a dog, rather than adopting from a local shelter. You have to live with this animal in your house, and you have every right to know its entire history. Especially with a toddler at home. A confrontation between a family dog and your child is the absolute last thing on earth any parent would expose their child to. (ok, maybe not the LAST thing... but pretty darn close).

Now, I think $1800 is completely rediculous for a mixbreed dog. Call it what you want, its a mix. And its a mix of 2 fairly common breeds. Maybe the breeder feeds their puppies gold flakes instead of kibble, I don't know. But I would hazard a guess that you could find a dog of equal quality for less than 1/3 to 1/2 that amount. But. Even at that, if you feel this is the dog for you, you should have no guilt about paying that money either

Just please, train him(her) properly. The time and expense you put into its first year of life in terms of proper training and handling will return itself many times over the life of the dog. It sounds as if you are already on that track, I just wanted to reiterate the point smile.gif

Happy hunting.

#20 Kermitlover

Kermitlover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Rozlab @ Apr 19 2007, 08:04 PM) View Post
If you are interested in a Labrador, I am the local area rep for Central California Labrador Retriever Rescue. Our web site is www.cc-labrescue.org Click on available dogs and you can see who we have right now. Web site changes on Sat., so what you see may be a little out of date. We accept owner surrenders, labs that wind up at SPCA and any/all of the shelters from the Nevada border down to Merced.

We are at the Folsom PS the first and third Sunday of every month from 11-3. We charge $225.00 for the adoption fee. This includes spay/neuter, DHLPP, rabies, fecal float, heartworm test and micro-chip. All dogs are placed on a trial basis. If for any reason the dog does not work out for you, we take our dogs back. I will be evaluating one of our alumni tomorrow. The family is moving south and the apt. will not accept "big" dogs. Duke is a yellow male, 2 yrs. approx. 65#. He is excellent with small children and other dogs. He may be too large for you, I don't know. But he is a wonderful family dog.

Please feel free to call me or check out our web page. I am happy to answer any questions.

Roz

Thank you so much..we will be checking out the dogs this weekend at PetSmart. The dog you mentioned did sound a bit large for our family but please keep us in mind if you run across a dog that would fit into our family. I wil checkout your website also...Thank you for your help!

#21 Rozlab

Rozlab

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(Kermitlover @ Apr 20 2007, 02:23 PM) View Post
Thank you so much..we will be checking out the dogs this weekend at PetSmart. The dog you mentioned did sound a bit large for our family but please keep us in mind if you run across a dog that would fit into our family. I wil checkout your website also...Thank you for your help!

FYI, we are not at the Folsom Petsmart this Sunday, only the first and third Sundays of the month. On the second and fourth Sundays we are at the Natomas Petsmart off Truxel (that's this Sunday) We are at the Davis Farmers Market every Sat. from 8a.m. till noon. All this info is on our website.

Thank you for thinking Lab Rescue.

Roz, CCLRR area rep

#22 Mrs.D

Mrs.D

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

I have a friend with a labradoodle and he is great. I did give them a hard time for paying so much for a dog, but then I spent 3 times that on my dog to get two TPLOs done. Ideally, I hope you find a dog to rescue, but you are going to do what works for your family. Good luck finding the right pooch for you!

#23 Norton

Norton

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Kermitlover @ Apr 14 2007, 08:40 AM) View Post
Thank you all for your input...I am thinking that maybe when the kids are older I can try a dog from the pound, kids more trustworthy and dog more trustworthy.
The labradoodle that we were looking at costs $1800...again a bit pricy for a dog right, or is this reasonable it today's market. They do have the dog fixed, microchiped, first two rounds of shots, and a 26 month guarantee from disease. so there is about $500.00 they are telling us.
Getting a dog from a rescue sounds like the best option for us. That way we may have a little more background on the dog, right?
Also, the whippet looked great, what other breeds do you think would work for our family...not looking for a fluffy, small dog but somewhere is the 30-40 lbs. range.

I have two rescued labradoodles - they are wonderful, and great with my kids. I'm attaching a link to a labradoodle rescue Web site if you're interested.

http://www.poomixres...ml#labradoodles

#24 Kermitlover

Kermitlover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Norton @ May 15 2007, 01:59 PM) View Post
I have two rescued labradoodles - they are wonderful, and great with my kids. I'm attaching a link to a labradoodle rescue Web site if you're interested.

Thanks...we have already added a labradoodle to our family...a guy that needed a home too!
He is a very smart dog and we love him already! I think he was our best choice for our situation..young and trainable. Thanks for all of your help and ideas. See you at the dog park!

#25 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(Norton @ May 15 2007, 01:59 PM) View Post

Labradoodles are "designer" dogs, which is why they cost such an outrageous amount...and they haven't been around all that long...and they already have rescue groups established?? That is really sad. I mean, I am sincerely glad that there are so many rescue groups for the different breeds, but if labradoodles already have their own rescue groups, that says to me that even the expensive "designer" dogs are not always the best route to go sad.gif I think the best thing for anyone would be to look into the rescue groups and foster family situations so that you could get input on the dog's character from someone who has observed/lived with the animal.

BTW, for the person who inquired about beagles....I have had several in my life. They were not hyper but as part of the hound family, they do ALOT of baying. Other than that, they are a good sized dog and all the ones I have known have been great with children smile.gif

Kermitlover...congrats on finding a wonderful family pet! I love a happy ending! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users