32 replies to this topic

#1 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

Does anyone know if the Folsom Dog Park has definitions for "big dogs" vs. "small dogs"? I checked the park rules on the FIDO INC. website and nowhere on the website or at the park could I find a weight or size limit for the dogs allowed to use the "small dog" area of the dog park. Today, there were several large dogs in the small dog area. Not a big deal for our beagles as they can hold their own, but traumatic for the lady who brought her little 2-1/2 pound teeny-tiny dog for the first time. She ended up holding her dog the whole time because she was afraid the big dogs would run right over her little dog.

I've tried emailing the FIDO Inc. people in the past and gotten no response, so I was hoping someone here might have an answer. For some reason, I thought I had read under 25 pounds . . . but, maybe that was in AZ . . .

Anyone?

#2 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

I have no idea. Unfortunately, holding up a tiny dog like that is probably reinforcing it's idea that big dogs are something to be scared about. I'm sure it's tough not to, though.

I don't even have a dog, but I always wonder how to categorize large dog puppies. Sure, they are small, but they have the personality of a larger dog, where do they belong?

Also, last weekend we were bored and stopped by the dog park in Citrus Heights for a little window shopping and a walk around the park. There was a little chihuahua in the large dog area. It would be horrible if there was a prey driven dog there, that would not recognize it as a dog. I hope the chihuahua's owner was keeping a strict eye out, as they did not belong.

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hmm, small dog vs. large dog. seems kinda discriminatory to me. Where do the medium size dogs go? Or are they not allowed? How about the breeds known as extra large?

Where does a large dachshund go? So low to the ground, are they small? Or because they can take on a badger in a badgers own hole, does that make them large cuz they can hold their own?

I've watched 3 large dogs that got sic'ed on a cat chase the cat down the hall only to all of a sudden back up in unison once the cornered kitty hissed at them. Does that mean dogs that back down from a 10 lb feline are wimpy enough to go in the small dog park?laugh.gif
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Yes and yes...LOL!
I was wondering the same thing....Our dog, if you can call it that, is a mere 5lbs...There was a pitbull type in the small dog area....I thought he was going to eat my dog....Scary....
There should be an area for mini's...Any dog under 10lbs and then a small and medium dog area and large...
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#5 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

The large side is for any dog that wants to run, play, wrestle etc. with other dogs. I've seen people let small dogs off leash that love to play with dogs much larger. If you think your dog will get imtimidated by larger dogs stay on the small side. If you are afraid even of dogs on the small side, stay home.

One other very important point: The dog park is no place for toddlers or babies. The dogs are running free and children that small aren't coordinated and aware enough to watch out for themselves amongst the dogs. Leave the young ones at home.

One final note, the outside gate on the large dog side doesn't latch so make sure you close it completely and latch the inside gate.

#6 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Al Waysrite @ Feb 8 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The large side is for any dog that wants to run, play, wrestle etc. with other dogs. I've seen people let small dogs off leash that love to play with dogs much larger. If you think your dog will get imtimidated by larger dogs stay on the small side. If you are afraid even of dogs on the small side, stay home.

One other very important point: The dog park is no place for toddlers or babies. The dogs are running free and children that small aren't coordinated and aware enough to watch out for themselves amongst the dogs. Leave the young ones at home.

One final note, the outside gate on the large dog side doesn't latch so make sure you close it completely and latch the inside gate.

Al, I get it. We let our boy beagle play on the large dog side sometimes if the dogs over there aren't overly exited enough to run over him. He usually lasts about 5 minutes over there and then is ready to go back to the small dog side. If he gets too excited around smaller dogs, he gets a "time out" on his leash, or we take that as it's time to go home. The smaller girl basically keeps to herself. The problem yesterday, was that there were LARGE dogs in the small dog area. By large, for example, there was a boxer in there yesterday. According to this site, adult boxers weigh between 55-70 pounds: http://largedogbreed...g-breeds/boxer/. This can be a bit intimidating for the mostly under 20 pound dogs that like to play in that area (well, actually, yesterday it seemed more intimidating to some of the owners). It just doesn't seem fair (wah! wah!) that the small dogs have to stay home because people decide they want to bring their big dogs into the small area rather than the big dog area. I mean, the small dogs just want to play in the area designated for them . . . sigh . . .

Here are the rules of the park, according to Fido Inc. (I don't see anything about sizes):

1. (OWNERS USE THE PARK AT THEIR OWN RISK) THE CITY OF FOLSOM IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY OR ILLNESS TO DOGS, OWNERS, OR VISITORS.

2. No children under the age of 15 are permitted unless accompanied by an adult. Children in strollers are prohibited from the fenced, off-leash dog area.

3. All dog handlers must carry a leash at all times and monitor their dog while in the facility. Prong collars are prohibited from the off-leash dog area. Dogs must be leashed while entering and exiting the facility.

4. Aggressive dogs are not permitted on the premises. Dogs must be removed at the first sign of aggression.

5. Owner must clean up after his/her dog. Onsite amenities and disposal receptacles are provided.

6. Dogs that are sick, in season or have excessive fleas, or ticks are not permitted.

7. Gate must be closed immediately after entering or exiting the facility.

8. No food is allowed in the off-leash dog area.

9. No wading pools, furniture, or large basins are allowed in the off-leash dog area.

10. No tobacco products may be used in the off-leash dog area.

PROOF OF COUNTYLICENSE IS REQUIRED FOR USE OF FIDO FIELD (TAGS OK). FULL VACCINATION SERIES IS ENCOURAGED AND RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR DOG'S HEALTH.

#7 TellT2Day

TellT2Day

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

This seems pretty silly and you would hope most people have a little common sence. Med to big should stay out of the small dog area and the large area is for any size dog. I would highly suggest small dog owners beware your little pooch might get injured and I'm sure no one wants to see that.

As far as kids...Come on people. There are so many parks here in Folsom, please do not take over and have this be your child's park too. It is just an accident waiting to happen. I bring my kids, but they are only allowed to stand next to me, it is not their time to play and they know that.

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

I always get nervous when I see little children at the dog park. If you bring your child you should keep them close to you and probably stay next to the fence. I've also seen very, very pregnant women there and I'm not sure that is such a good idea. Large dogs chase each other around and it's very easy to get run into.

Another hint. The dog park is not exactly the ideal place to bring a lunch. If you do, don't expect the dogs to not notice you over there on the bench with your burgers or sandwiches.

Extra-large dogs can get hurt, too. Mine has a sore leg right now because a little dog ran into her legs while she was running. It's kind of like kids on the playground. Every once in a while someone gets hurt, but usually not seriously. Accidents happen. I'm sure she'll be healed and ready to go next weekend.

#9 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

My husband and I have been dog park goers for many years. All over the state. We take our dogs (boston terrier and french bulldog ) to the dog park every week. We stay in the small dog area. We saw the "large boxer" there. He is a puppy. In talking with his owner we discovered he had been treated roughly by some large dogs in the big dog park, and the owner was trying to make sure his puppy didn't become scared or aggressive as he was just becoming socialized to other dogs. There were absolutley no problems, the "big" puppy played very gently with the smaller dogs and there was no incident. Sometimes common sense has to trump "rules". If you are concerned perhaps you should speak to the owner before passing judgement. By the way there was an incident the other day in the small dog park, a Chihuahua become very aggressive and attacked a terrier. Those things can get really nasty.

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (EAH @ Feb 8 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My husband and I have been dog park goers for many years. All over the state. We take our dogs (boston terrier and french bulldog ) to the dog park every week. We stay in the small dog area. We saw the "large boxer" there. He is a puppy. In talking with his owner we discovered he had been treated roughly by the some large dogs in the big dog park, and the owner was trying to make sure sure his puppy didn't become scared or aggressive as he was just becoming socialized to other dogs. There were absolutley no problems, the "big" puppy played very gently with the smaller dogs and there was no incident. Sometimes common sense has to trump "rules". If you are concerned perhaps you should speak to the owner before passing judgement. By the way there was an incident the other day in the small dog park, a Chihuahua become very aggressive and attacked a terrier. Those things can get really nasty.

I bet the chihuahua won.

mean little stinkers when they get their dander up.

#11 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

When will this city end its rampant discrimination against medium size dogs?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#12 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Feb 9 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never?! biggrin.gif tongue.gif
I would rather be Backpacking

#13 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Feb 9 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm...maybe someone could file a lawsuit on behalf of all the medium size dogs??!? tongue.gif

#14 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (aztransplant @ Feb 8 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3. All dog handlers must carry a leash at all times and monitor their dog while in the facility. Prong collars are prohibited from the off-leash dog area. Dogs must be leashed while entering and exiting the facility.

Why are prong collars prohibited? Those are those chain link ones, right? Or do they mean collars with spikes on them like that bulldog in the Sylvester and Tweety cartoons wore?
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (ngilbert @ Feb 10 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are prong collars prohibited? Those are those chain link ones, right? Or do they mean collars with spikes on them like that bulldog in the Sylvester and Tweety cartoons wore?

There's a couple different types of prong collars.

Some looke like spike--short or small.

Some have curved spikes that turn into the fur--when the collar is pulled.

Can't imagine how painful it would be if the collar got caught on cyclone fencing.

Anyway, those types of collars are designed to only be used as training aids.

I cna't see turning the dog loose--off leash--and the dog needing that type of collar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users