• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#256 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Jul 23 2008, 06:56 PM) View Post
When the Dam Bridge opens, traffic will really be reduced on Natomas and through Old town.

I can't resist!

"Natoma"

(Only because it's you, Bobby G.)

p.s. Nice use of the word "crossing" to refer to a Bridge
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#257 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Jul 23 2008, 06:56 PM) View Post
I can't resist!

You do realize that Folsom's population has increased by about 2 1/2 the size it was back from 1994 and Granite Bay, Roseville and EDH have all increased substantially as well?

Can you just imagine all that traffic trying to cross Rainbow Bridge and up Riley through Old Town if the new Lake Natoma Bridge wasn't built? Traffic would be far worse than what you have today. When the Dam Bridge opens, traffic will really be reduced on Natomas and through Old town.

I'll confess and admit I was a supporter of the Oak Ave Bridge during the campaign, but they really did build the right crossing.

Hold the phone. Are you suggesting that the option was to build no bridge at all? Are you suggesting that the Magical Mayor Holderness somehow envisioned 9-11 and the closing of the Dam Road? Because that's not how I remember it.

#258 POConnor

POConnor

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Wine, golfing, gardening, wakeboarding, wine, cooking, wine...hmmm did I mention I like wine?

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

So I have to tell...
I was at my parents house on Friday night and I mentioned something about the new bridge and the name...
My mother who is 73 and a devout catholic said "That is the dumbest name I've ever heard, why didn't they name it after Johnny Cash" and my 78 year old father said "yep, he really is the reason that people know about Folsom and the prison"

And I hadn't said a word!

#259 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(pattylbel @ Jul 28 2008, 10:33 AM) View Post
So I have to tell...
I was at my parents house on Friday night and I mentioned something about the new bridge and the name...
My mother who is 73 and a devout catholic said "That is the dumbest name I've ever heard, why didn't they name it after Johnny Cash" and my 78 year old father said "yep, he really is the reason that people know about Folsom and the prison"

And I hadn't said a word!

I just went to Gilroy and Santa Cruz and while in both places I met folks from all over the states and overseas who had flown in for the Garlic festival.... so I decided to ask a few of those travelers if they had ever heard of Folsom and if so what's the first thing they think of...

Even a bit to my own surprise... every person I asked, answered exactly the same! (and I did these separately so as to not skew any answers)
I kid you not, every single person said "Folsom - oh yeah Johnny Cash and the famous prison!" and they were excited to be talking about Johnny Cash!

at the Garlic Festival there was a rockabilly band playing Cash songs and some of the art booths were even selling his image - like it or not, there's millions of people who like Johnny Cash

at this point its too late and we're stuck with a really dumb name for a bridge now due to some ignorance... but all I'm saying is that for those who refuse to believe that Johnny Cash has a connection with Folsom, you're dead wrong and I hate to be the one to tell you but you're being totally ignorant to reality.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#260 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE(EDF @ Jul 20 2008, 11:06 AM) View Post
You know what else amazed me...? is that Steve Miklos really put down Johnny Cash...as a person of "lessor" character...

Agreed. What an idiot.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#261 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jul 28 2008, 11:04 AM) View Post
I just went to Gilroy and Santa Cruz and while in both places I met folks from all over the states and overseas who had flown in for the Garlic festival.... so I decided to ask a few of those travelers if they had ever heard of Folsom and if so what's the first thing they think of...

Even a bit to my own surprise... every person I asked, answered exactly the same! (and I did these separately so as to not skew any answers)
I kid you not, every single person said "Folsom - oh yeah Johnny Cash and the famous prison!" and they were excited to be talking about Johnny Cash!

at the Garlic Festival there was a rockabilly band playing Cash songs and some of the art booths were even selling his image - like it or not, there's millions of people who like Johnny Cash

at this point its too late and we're stuck with a really dumb name for a bridge now due to some ignorance... but all I'm saying is that for those who refuse to believe that Johnny Cash has a connection with Folsom, you're dead wrong and I hate to be the one to tell you but you're being totally ignorant to reality.

Dave, I don't recall anyone ever saying there isn't a connection. Its my sense that a majority of Folsom citizens probably wouldn't support naming the bridge after Cash. Again, its just my instincts nothing scientific about it.

Its NEVER too late to start a petition to do a charter amendment designating the name. Kerri should be able to advise you on that process and share her opinion of the possible success rate of it passing.

FYI, I too was out of the area and met a couple of middle aged women. When I told them I was from Folsom, they asked did I ever go to the Cliff House and did I know EDF. They seemed rather pleased about the experience.

#262 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Jul 28 2008, 02:50 PM) View Post
FYI, I too was out of the area and met a couple of middle aged women. When I told them I was from Folsom, they asked did I ever go to the Cliff House and did I know EDF. They seemed rather pleased about the experience.

ha ha ha ha ha

#263 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Jul 28 2008, 02:50 PM) View Post

Okay, how about we name the bridge "Wingman Skyway" then? In honor of EDF's mad customer satisfaction skillz?

Yes, I considered "Cougar Crossing" but that sounds too dangerous. It would scare away the tourists.

Work up the petition and I'll sign it!

"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users